Mickelson explains doughnut drive-thru

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 1:47 PM
Last updated 4:51 PM

When Phil Mickelson shed the label of the greatest player to never have won a major at the 2004 Masters Tournament, what followed was a media blitz that included appearances on David Letterman, Oprah, Jay Leno and the floor of the New York Stock Exchange.

Phil Mickelson: 2010 Masters Tournament champion made a quick trip to Krispy Kreme Doughnuts on Monday, April 12.   Krispy Kreme photo/ Greg Carswell
Krispy Kreme photo/ Greg Carswell

The only public appearance Mickelson made after this year's Masters victory came the morning after on Washington Road at the drive-thru window of the Krispy Kreme ordering doughnuts.

"Throughout the week I don't eat a lot of sugar or carbs during a tournament," Mickelson said. "My kids wanted doughnuts and I told them Monday morning we'd go to Krispy Kreme and grab something. ... It was a little chilly, so I threw on a jacket and went through the drive-thru."

A green jacket. By the time he flew home to California a few hours later, the picture of him behind the wheel wearing the iconic symbol of an Augusta champion was everywhere on the worldwide web.

"It's fascinating because it just shows how things have changed over the last 20 years," said Mickelson, noting that nobody even had cell phones when he started dating his wife, Amy, in college. "Everybody is media now. The lady behind the counter at Krispy Kreme is media. It's an interesting thing to get used to."

Mickelson returns to his day job and the spotlight this week at the Quail Hollow Championship in Charlotte after taking "some great family time."

"I've been a little isolated these last couple of weeks," he said.

The 17 days that have passed since the emotional hug with his wife behind the 18th green hasn't changed Mickelson's mind about the significance of his third Masters and fourth major triumph.

"It's probably the most important victory I've had, and not because I hadn't won a major in four years or what happened at Winged Foot," he said, citing the double bogey finish at the 2006 U.S. Open that lost him the lead. "But because of the emotional tie and the tough years that we had and being able to share it. Amy and I have talked about how glad we were that she was there and the kids were there and we can look back on that together given what the past year has brought. It made it probably the most special tournament win that I've had."

His Masters victory has already recast his own perceptions of a season that started slowly into a success, but Mickelson's satisfaction doesn't end in April.

"I do have high expectations for the rest of the year," Mickelson said. "If I'm not able to perform at that level that I played at Augusta in those big events, I wouldn't look at the year as being great."

The first key goal is eight weeks away when the U.S. Open is played at Pebble Beach, a course Mickelson has won tour events on three times since 1999. He is a five-time runner-up in the U.S. Open in that same span, including last year at Bethpage Black just days before his wife underwent surgery for breast cancer.

"That's a special event for me," he said. "I want to give myself the best opportunity in the U.S. Open. I had a good chance last year and a couple of years I've had great chances and haven't come through. It's the one event I'd love to win and with this tournament being at Pebble I feel like there's a good opportunity there. So I don't want to look past that."

Reach Scott Michaux at (706) 823-3219

or scott.michaux@augustachronicle.com.

pommom38
pommom38 04/28/10 - 01:58 pm
You owe no one an

You owe no one an explanation!! You wanted doughnuts, your kids wanted doughnuts, who cares.. The media has just went way overboard with all these articles and such. Yes, stars are stars, but that doesn't mean you have to document EVERY single move they make.
Stay posted, next week's media blitz will show Obama at the Wendys drive thru!!

Scott Michaux
Scott Michaux 04/28/10 - 02:05 pm
Thanks for the comment,

Thanks for the comment, pommom. I don't think anyone has been remotely critical of Mickelson going to the Krispy Kreme with his kids. It's a fun and unique story and his comment about "throwing on a jacket" prompted an eruption of laughter from the assembled press.

countyman
20627
countyman 04/28/10 - 02:11 pm
I think it's great he's still

I think it's great he's still down to earth. I perfer Dunkin Donuts though.

pommom38
pommom38 04/28/10 - 02:33 pm
Oh, am sorry Scott, my

Oh, am sorry Scott, my comment wasn't intended for *you*! lol
Media in general let's say..
Yes County, it is like a breath of fresh air to know some in the spotlight really are like US:)

Lonewuf
Lonewuf 04/28/10 - 02:47 pm
I'm with YOU countyman... I

I'm with YOU countyman... I too am a Dunkin donuts fan..... But you have to admit, those krispy kreme's hot out of the grease with that warm sugary glaze is to die for.

csrareader
csrareader 04/28/10 - 03:16 pm
Pretty tack of the Krispy

Pretty tack of the Krispy Kreme folks to take the photo and then spead it around the web. Why not let our Masters visitors and celebs eat donuts in peace?

H4LJ
H4LJ 04/28/10 - 03:29 pm
I dont think Phil minded too

I dont think Phil minded too much. From the head pro in San Diego where Phil plays, he was wearing it out there too later that afternoon.

gnumbgnuts
gnumbgnuts 04/28/10 - 03:30 pm
Phil's a real class act. I

Phil's a real class act. I love that guy.

AugustaVoter
AugustaVoter 04/28/10 - 03:32 pm
Actually I hear Obama has a

Actually I hear Obama has a vice for McDonalds, pommom. I know he has a thing for 5guys!

AugustaVoter
AugustaVoter 04/28/10 - 03:35 pm
All I would say is that if

All I would say is that if the folks at KK asked for the picture then it is all good. If they didn't shame on them for being so rude. Let the man be a human being like all of us for a change.

sojourner
sojourner 04/28/10 - 03:43 pm
Glad he's wearing his

Glad he's wearing his seatbelt! Heaven forbid he let that slip and we have a bunch of stories and comments about that! He's probably done a lot of things wearing that jacket that you'd be surprised at...

corgimom
corgimom 04/28/10 - 04:49 pm
" He's probably done a lot of

" He's probably done a lot of things wearing that jacket that you'd be surprised at..."

You obviously have Phil Mickleson confused with Tiger Woods.

brimisjoshan
brimisjoshan 04/28/10 - 05:55 pm
All I can say is I like

All I can say is I like Krispy Kreme a thousand times better than Dunkin Doughnuts. I went to the country of Denmark and ate some wonderful pastries but none still compared to KK.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 04/28/10 - 06:22 pm
From what I know about the KK

From what I know about the KK picture, it was taken by someone who was very excited about who was in the drive-thru, and he went home and posted it on Facebook to share with his friends. Well, it was forwarded umpteen times, and the next thing you know, it's spread all over the place! The person who took the pic didn't mean anything by it and was certainly not thinking of what would happen. To the person(s) who thinks it was rude or tacky, get a grip! You don't think YOU would've done pretty much the same thing?? I know I would have.

AugustaVoter
AugustaVoter 04/28/10 - 09:02 pm
Opinion, I have and still do

Opinion, I have and still do work and socialize with several famous people. So that is why I speak like I do. You would be amazed at the paparazzi like attitudes everyday people have when it comes to running into someone with fame. Most of the time if people just politely asked for a picture, almost all will oblige. "Treat others" as the saying goes. I just hope they asked before taking the picture. That is all. I think it would be not customer service friendly if they didn't ask.

walrus4ever
walrus4ever 04/28/10 - 09:09 pm
Thisis news on April 28th?

Thisis news on April 28th? Who cares ? Everybody eats. Enough "golfishness" already.

Seashells
Seashells 04/28/10 - 11:04 pm
I think it was neat that he

I think it was neat that he was with his family doing something they wanted to do........too bad Tiger was selfish and ruined his family!

Southern_Patriot
Southern_Patriot 04/28/10 - 11:13 pm
The lame stream media?

The lame stream media?

Kevinbo
Kevinbo 04/29/10 - 09:47 pm
To all you posters on this

To all you posters on this blog. I happen to be one of the original holders of this photo. No, I didn't take it but was one of the first to receive it as my wife's family owns that KK. To let you know, yes, he was more than happy to have that picture taken, along with many other pictures and signed autographs for all the people working that day. I posted it on my Facebook and immediately had people asking if they could post it on their Facebook, and so on. I also sent it to ESPN, MSNBC, CNN and even Phil Mickelson's camp. I will add that each of those people contacted me and/or my brother in law and the employee that took that picture. ( yes, Phil's people called me and we talked about what a great picture it is) It isn't about where he was or anything like that. This picture just shows what a regular person he is, spending some great quality time with his kids. The reason this picture is such a worldwide sensation is just because it is a candid shot of a famous person being a regular ol' dad and it made everyone in the world go "ahhhhhh what a great person he is"...and he is. My thanks to Mr. Mickelson and his people for enjoying the great publicity this shot has given everyone.