Ga. gun bill clears key committee

ATLANTA  - House legislators have stripped provisions from a controversial gun bill that would have allowed licensed gun owners to bring firearms onto college campuses and into churches.

But legislation cleared Thursday by the House Judiciary Non-Civil Committee would still allow gun owners to bring their weapons into parts of airports, some bars and in parking lots at colleges, courthouses and jails.

State Sen. Mitch Seabaugh, the Republican who sponsored the measure, said he hopes the bill will clarify the mishmash of varying gun restrictions that now exist.

The Senate has already adopted similar legislation and the House could vote on the measure next week.

___

ArmedandLegal
ArmedandLegal 04/23/10 - 09:29 am
Currently from my

Currently from my understanding you can carry firearms into "non-secured" portions of airports - Im assuming they mean anything before you have to travel through security and metal detectors/scanners. However most airports (like the big on in Atlanta) have stated on the record they will still arrest anyone on the property (even parking lot) with a firearm, even though its legal.

ripjones
ripjones 04/23/10 - 09:54 am
Next year, I'd like to see

Next year, I'd like to see our licensing changed, to marry up with SC. Then SC would recognize GA permits. Wishful thinking, but I'm going to talk it up this summer.

js_ee
js_ee 04/23/10 - 10:16 am
I could be wrong, but I

I could be wrong, but I believe ATL is considered private property. If so, they have the right to prohibit firearms on their property.

ArmedandLegal
ArmedandLegal 04/23/10 - 10:32 am
SC will never hold hands with

SC will never hold hands with GA when it comes to our GFL's because they require small training before issuing a license to carry in SC. In GA (Ill use Columbia County) all I had to do is go to the Probate Court, pay $34 dollars, get finger printed and wait for my background check to be cleared. All in all 21 days from the day I applied till the day I got my ID card. The process is still the same from my understanding, but the price has gone up. Same process for Richmond County cept' I beleive it costs more and the background check takes long... I wonder why? Perhaps the side of town 401 is at? Hmm.

Also, any private business can ask you to leave if you are armed, what cannot be done is arrest you (even if there is a giant sign that says NO GUNS) - you have to be asked to leave first, then and only then, if you do not comply the law can charge you with criminal tresspass. Hartfield Intern. airport in Atlanta is stating they will arrest people, period - even if you are in the parking lot.

Of course there are certain places that are off limits period, schools (unless picking up/dropping off in the car), hospitals, government buildings, etc etc

edit: trying stopping by georgiapacking.org to read up on the laws/regulations for having a license in GA

Imapeopleperson
Imapeopleperson 04/23/10 - 10:32 am
The Second Amendment does not

The Second Amendment does not restrict carry privlages anywhere, Why should politicians try and ban the people from protecting their selves from criminals that do not obey gun laws anyway. When the law makes it clear on where you can and can not carry the criminals will have narrowed down where and where not to rape, kill, and pillage. As the saying goes I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.....

ArmedandLegal
ArmedandLegal 04/23/10 - 10:34 am
Yea "Gun Free Zone" signs

Yea "Gun Free Zone" signs pretty much just mean "Attention Criminals! This area is safe to rob or kill, please come in!"

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 04/23/10 - 11:14 am
I have a CWP, and I carry

I have a CWP, and I carry 24/7 everywhere I go. Now, if I had a S&W .50 cal revolver, you might notice it. My weapon is a .38 Spl. caliber, and the way I carry, you couldn't tell if I had it with me, or not.
There are many models by numerous manufacturers that are practically unnoticeable. Some of the places I've been, I'm positive would possibly ask me to leave, but they can't tell I have it with me! A side note, it holds only hollow-points!

baronvonreich
baronvonreich 04/23/10 - 11:23 am
What in the world do

What in the world do legislators have to do with passing gun laws on church property? The state doesn't own any churches. They are private entities and can enforce their own rules and regulations. If they want government protections then they should pay their taxes.

Taylor B
Taylor B 04/23/10 - 11:42 am
Word up baron. You have

Word up baron. You have Senators that are preachers, and they are opposed to it.

ArmedandLegal
ArmedandLegal 04/23/10 - 11:48 am
GA law states you can't even

GA law states you can't even have a pistol in your car if its in the church parking lot. /boggle

Taylor B
Taylor B 04/23/10 - 12:34 pm
Armed, GA law also states

Armed, GA law also states that the speed limit is 55 on Bobby Jones. just saying...