Two injured in Columbia County accident

Two people were injured today in an accident on Washington Road near Clarks Hill Road.

Columbia County sheriff's Deputy David Herrity said the driver of a 1999 GMC Jimmy had fallen asleep and overcorrected when the vehicle went off the road and onto the shoulder. The vehicle then flipped several times.

An 11-year-old boy was ejected. The driver, Thomas Weeks, 19, of Martinez, and the boy were both taken to Medical College of Georgia Hospital by ambulance. Both were conscious, Deputy Herrity said.

A white, medium-size Chihuahua named Charlie fled the scene of the accident, which happened about 6 p.m., and was being sought.

brimisjoshan
brimisjoshan 04/17/10 - 08:36 pm
I certainly hope both will be

I certainly hope both will be alright. I wonder if the boy was wearing a seat belt. Did it help or hurt not having a seat belt? I know its best to always wear a seat belt. Also, did the dog have anything to do with the accident since he "fled the scene of the accident"? Is the dog wanted for questioning? Can the dog be charged with a "bite and run"? Just wondering. LOL

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 04/17/10 - 08:45 pm
That reminds me, I saw a

That reminds me, I saw a young lady driving a small car, with her Boom Box blasting away, but what caught my attention, was a toddler of about 2, hanging on the edge of the passenger window. No car seat, no safety strap, and she wasn't paying attention to the child. Too bad the bicycle patrolmen didn't see her.

sassygirl12
sassygirl12 04/17/10 - 08:54 pm
i hope they will be ok and

i hope they will be ok and the doggie too

brimisjoshan
brimisjoshan 04/17/10 - 08:56 pm
That's right sarge. A child

That's right sarge. A child should always be strapped in and the adult to. Sometimes I don't believe people think past their noses when it comes to keeping their kids safe.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 04/17/10 - 09:59 pm
A neglegent mother like that

A neglegent mother like that should be reported to the cops. Not only for accidents but kids that small could climb on the armrest and fall out. The child could have fallen out and she wouldn't have seen or heard a thing. It would kill me to have seen that, then later read about the child falling out of the window and not have reported her. Thank God that didn't happen, and may God watch over that child having be in the care of such an irresponsible person. Same with drunk drivers, I'll report them too in a heartbeat.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 04/17/10 - 10:03 pm
I hope both the boys in this

I hope both the boys in this accident are ok and do not have and serious or permanent injuries. They were lucky they weren't killed. I hope they find the family pet also.

t.couper
t.couper 04/17/10 - 10:06 pm
I know this person and he is

I know this person and he is a very responsible person, and I have rode with him on several occasions and I'm 47 years old and trust his driving , I pray that his family has peace over this accident, and that he and his brother heal by the lords touch, as for the other comments on here I am ashamed that people jump to conclusions when they do not have the full details. that's the american way now. GUILTY before they even know the facts.

t.couper
t.couper 04/17/10 - 10:53 pm
Update: The dog was found

Update: The dog was found alive and well

brimisjoshan
brimisjoshan 04/17/10 - 11:07 pm
That's great! Thanks for

That's great! Thanks for sharing that with us t.couper. Praying for the whole family,.You might want to reread the thread I don't see where anyone refered to this accident with any preconceived conclusions. I did wonder if the child had a seatbelt on only from the standpoint that I have followed lots of stories where not having seatbelt did help and times where it didn't. But no one here said anything else as to the driving or driver doing anything wrong.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 04/17/10 - 11:33 pm
What are you talking about

What are you talking about t.couper? Has a comment been removed? Not one person on here jumped to any conclusion or made a negative remark about this young man, and that is very unusual so be thankful, they are usually brutal, especially when it comes to kids being hurt. Please tell me which comment you are referring to or did you not take the time to read the comments or ( no offense) but do you just not comprehend them by chance? And thanks for the update, glad the doggie is safe home with family. More importantly, how are the boys? I pray they both will recover 100%!

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 04/18/10 - 02:15 am
I don't recall ever hearing a

I don't recall ever hearing a case where somebody who was wearing a seatbelt was ejected from a vehicle. I understand the good vs bad for some times of accidents, however I believe an ejection from a roll over accident shows it's pretty clear he was not strapped in.

deekster
deekster 04/18/10 - 07:59 am
Takeastand: They "jumped to

Takeastand: They "jumped to a conclusion" when they exhibited reading and interpretive skills. Not a common event in the south. They expressed "hatred and disdain " when they questioned "personal responsibility" for the accident. Which by "Webster", this was not an accident. Cause and effect would more aptly describe the event. Hope all are well and will take this as a "learning experience". Youthful enterprise. Freedom of the road. PETA will be calling on the family.

pommom38
pommom38 04/18/10 - 11:57 am
Well take a stand, i'm fixing

Well take a stand, i'm fixing to ruin your statement.
While I do feel for the young boy and his family, I find that the driver did indeed act irresponsible. If you are THAT tired, then don't drive! And most certainly not with other's in your care.
And yes, Tcoup, GUILTY when the facts are plainly stated, HE FELL ASLEEP! Therefore caused the accident. So um, yea..
Thank goodness the dog is safe, people letting their animals ride free in the car, never know what's going to happen. They do make safety straps for those situations..

crackerjack
crackerjack 04/18/10 - 10:03 pm
T.couper I don't blame you

T.couper I don't blame you for being upset about people jumping to conclusions. But I don't think a RESPONSIBLE PERSON would let his 11 year old little brother ride without a seatbelt. Oh, and maybe as for as jumping to conclusions, you need to look in the mirror. And I also hope all three will be O.K.

crackerjack
crackerjack 04/18/10 - 10:07 pm
I believe in Georgia, your're

I believe in Georgia, your're not required to wear a seatbelt in a truck. I don't know if that law has been changed yet, but it should be, unless you have a farm tagged vehicle.

thatsnwbrdchick
thatsnwbrdchick 04/18/10 - 10:06 pm
I arrived at the scene of

I arrived at the scene of this accident a couple minutes after it occurred, and tried my best to offer assistance until the paramedics and police arrived. It was a very hard thing to witness, and has been on my mind nonstop since leaving the scene. While there were definite factors that in hindsight would have changed the outcome, out of respect for the two boys and their families I encourage people to not pass judgment at this time. It's one thing to offer your support and prayers, but is it appropriate to use this as a public forum to spark debate or jump to conclusions about a situation that, quite frankly, none of us will ever know all the details about? It's a shame to see hostility towards one another in a situation like this. Then again, maybe you had to have been there...

ontheridge
ontheridge 04/19/10 - 01:15 am
Thanks kindly for the post

Thanks kindly for the post thatsnwbrdchick. Kinda easy for most to comment on something they haven't experienced or been exposed to. My prayers are with the family and actually knowing them makes it harder.

Lets pray the young one makes it through this 100%. Peace

ontheridge
ontheridge 04/19/10 - 01:21 am
As for Deekster - I recommend

As for Deekster - I recommend Two Men and a Truck for a quick relocation.... Unless you wrote from the detention center.

pommom - I am glad you feel for the boy and his family, but you made it clear you are more worried about the dog.

Peace