Burglary suspect in Evans identified; search continues

Friday, April 16, 2010 10:11 AM
Last updated 4:00 PM

Police this morning identified an Appling man as the third burglary suspect who ran from police Thursday after a brief car chase ended off Hardy McManus Road in Evans.

The man, known as "Bear," was identified as Terrance Demetrice Parks, 22, according to Columbia County sheriff's Capt. Steve Morris.

He has not yet been arrested, Morris said. Parks' last know address is the 2400 block of Jordan Drive in Appling.

Deputies were called just after 11 a.m. Thursday by a resident who reported a suspicious vehicle, a green Ford Expedition, slowly driving through residential neighborhoods off Mullikin Road.

Police attempted to stop the vehicle, which led them on a brief pursuit before the driver abandoned the SUV on Woodruff Court. The three occupants fled on foot.

Maurice Crawford, 30, of Evans, was immediately taken into custody. Police set up around the area searching for the other two men.

Timothy Ware, 25, of Evans, was found at about 9 p.m. hiding under a house in the Rivershyre Subdivision, Morris said.

Police also determined this morning that items found in the SUV including a flat-screen television were stolen from a home on the 4000 block of Mullikin Road.  After his arrest, Crawford led police to the home he said that he, Ware and Parks had burglarized prior to the chase. The homeowner told police two flat-screen televisions, two video game consoles, a .45-caliber handgun and ammunition magazines were missing.

Reach Valerie Rowell at (706) 868-1222, ext. 110 or

valerie.rowell@augustachronicle.com.

Dixieman
Dixieman 04/16/10 - 10:20 am
Unleash the hounds,

Unleash the hounds, Smithers...

storiesihaveread
storiesihaveread 04/16/10 - 11:27 am
Hiding like a coward and a

Hiding like a coward and a tracked down animal LOL, what a MAN. NOT!

brimisjoshan
brimisjoshan 04/16/10 - 11:37 am
I really really don't want to

I really really don't want to be racist. I have wonderful respect for so many black men and women who led wonderul respectful lives. But the fact is that there is a culture of crime in our black people that is so destructive to their whole culture and they just can seem to break it. 95 percent of those pictured for crimes in the AC are black. And yes that is the main issue here because the black culture is raising criminals and we need to help find a way to help them to be what so many other black people have become, good and respectful people that are an asset to their community.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 04/16/10 - 11:38 am
Stupid crook! Too dang lazy

Stupid crook! Too dang lazy to find a job! How many more lazy punks are out there? Be prepared, get trained, get a CWP, and protect your home!

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 04/16/10 - 11:40 am
Brim, that is racist! The

Brim, that is racist! The black culture are raising no more criminals than the white, or the other races. Check your sources, please!

crackerjack
crackerjack 04/16/10 - 12:00 pm
Shoot 'em while they're

Shoot 'em while they're stealing or breaking in. Make sure you end it for them, as they have it better in prison than they do at home. Terrence Demetrice needs to steal a new identity, his mother must have hated him, but Terry will be a good name to have in prison.

dougk
dougk 04/16/10 - 12:15 pm
Brim, would you say that the

Brim, would you say that the "white culture" breeds a criminal element that it just cannot shake simply because close to 100% of white collar, corporate and politcal criminals are white. I'm not speaking of petty embezzlement from one's employer.....I'm talking really big crimes like wiping out people's life savings and retirement accounts....robbing their own savings and loans and banks while leaving us taxpayers a bill for many billions of dollars.

SteveCagle
SteveCagle 04/16/10 - 12:42 pm
abcdefg

abcdefg

brimisjoshan
brimisjoshan 04/16/10 - 12:32 pm
dougk, I do see your point

dougk, I do see your point and you are right about white collar crimes. I think that showes that crime can be committed by anyone regardless of color. I know that my comment can seem racist. But here is where I live. I work downtown and in the harrisburg area and I try to help people the best I can with jobs, food, clothing. But my heart breaks when I see these young black men with no fathers or worse fathers that teach them crime. I dont know what the answer is but I know that I hate to see black young people feel that there is no other way but the drugs and the gangs. It is a culture of the streets just like corporate crime is a culture of the white collar business. I sincerely apologize to anyone offended by my comments, Sargebaby or anyone else. But I hope you can also see what I deal with as well. Sarge let me ask your help as well, see if you can find anything on the breakdown of crime in Augusta and lets see if I am right or wrong about the blacks having more crime. thanks everyone.

Whyisit01
Whyisit01 04/16/10 - 12:44 pm
funny brimisjoshan when you

funny brimisjoshan when you see whites in the paper with this same type headline, since you really, really don't want to be racist analyze them next time. Black culture, did he/she say black culture. A HOT MESS.

Whyisit01
Whyisit01 04/16/10 - 12:46 pm
brimisjoshan maybe you need

brimisjoshan maybe you need to change your avatar, wait did he/she say black culture RAISING criminals? *FALLS OUT* typical.

brimisjoshan
brimisjoshan 04/16/10 - 12:47 pm
whyisit, probably because I

whyisit, probably because I work with blacks more than whites, although if you find it necessary I will try to be more equal in my posting. Got a question though. Don't you think we need to do something to help our black community break out of the crime culture that is there? Or Do you disagree that it is part of their culture at all? Because if you do I would like all of you on here to come join me for a support group of 20 black and 15 white former gang members who disagree.

dougk
dougk 04/16/10 - 12:48 pm
brim, I agree, my heart

brim, I agree, my heart breaks as well since the kids can't choose their parents or the environment that they were born into. It's much more to do with the social structural forces (e.g., economic, community organization, and the structure of legitimate opportunites) for these people. If there arr related "cultural" patterns, they are a product of accommodation to the structural forces. The structural problems are not a "black problem" they are a societal program. And, as long as it is continued labelled by so many as a "black problem," white people will continue to ignore their contributions to the problem and ignore their responsiblity to be a BIG part of the solutions.

brimisjoshan
brimisjoshan 04/16/10 - 12:48 pm
why does my avitar not fit my

why does my avitar not fit my posts?

brimisjoshan
brimisjoshan 04/16/10 - 12:51 pm
dougk, you are absolutely

dougk, you are absolutely right, You hit it deadon, its not just a "black" problem. Its all our problem. We ,black and white, are our brothers keepers and I want to be part of the solution not part of the problem. thanks

dougk
dougk 04/16/10 - 12:56 pm
amen, brim.

amen, brim.

keylime05
keylime05 04/16/10 - 01:00 pm
Brim, I am black and am not

Brim, I am black and am not offended by your comment simply because you did not stereotype ALL black people as being criminals nor did you imply that you were superior to black people because you are of another "race." I happen to live in a neighboring subdivision from where this crime took place and was more disappointed and concerned that the crime took place rather than the race of the perpetrators. However, as I have learned from living here, some people find that this event was just further confirmation and justification for them to maintain and uphold their bigoted views of black people.

Chillen
Chillen 04/16/10 - 01:03 pm
dougk "white people will

dougk "white people will continue to ignore their contributions to the problem and ignore their responsiblity to be a BIG part of the solutions."

Please do explain how white people contributed to these 3 men robbing multiple homes.

Also please let us know what responsible things white people should be doing to stop it (hire armed guards?).

I agree that it is a problem but I don't see anything that I've personally done to cause this to happen. Black, white or brown, I could care less what color they are but I am offended that you say that we are part of the problem.

brimisjoshan
brimisjoshan 04/16/10 - 01:20 pm
Keylime, thanks for

Keylime, thanks for understanding where I was coming from

pommom38
pommom38 04/16/10 - 01:36 pm
Just because some may say

Just because some may say it's a *black* problem, don't blame white people. Do white's make them commit crimes? NO. Do white's take jobs from them? NO
So exactly how are they contributing??? Such a lame response is what I read.
White's commit crime as well, do you see them saying it's the other races fault? That they could have helped prevent it? Of course not.
The responses are typical when it involves black crime.

chel
chel 04/16/10 - 01:37 pm
@brimisjoshan: Unfortunately

@brimisjoshan: Unfortunately you will not find any solutions provided by anyone you asked because of the mentality of "NIMBY". Try opening up a teen shelter in the poverished areas and see how it feels to get the responses from the area churches of "what's in it for me" or "you are the wrong color to understand". So I say to who criticized your post that you can see racist hatred in everything if you choose, but what are you doing to help your neighbors who are in need? Just wondering if there will be any solutions but doubt it.

dougk
dougk 04/16/10 - 01:40 pm
Chillen. My argument was

Chillen. My argument was that there is a tendency to ignore social structural forces that are crimiogenic and to attribute the cause of crime to individual, familial, or subcultual "deficiencies or defects" which do not take into account the larger social forces that greatly influence the individuals, families, and subcultures.
Just as you have done by taking my examples of social structural forces (economic, legititmate opportunity, community organization) and reduced that down to the question of how YOU had anything to do with the motivation of those burglers.

chel
chel 04/16/10 - 01:52 pm
@chillen: it would seem dougk

@chillen: it would seem dougk is referring to what criminologist call the "strain theory".

Chillen
Chillen 04/16/10 - 02:17 pm
dougk I still didn't get an

dougk I still didn't get an answer to my questions because believe me, no one ignores societal structures, in fact, quite the opposite is true. Society has bent over backwards in the last 50 years to make everything as equal, if not more equal for blacks. And for a while, that was OK, society needed to help them as their fledgling civil rights were introduced but we are way past that now.

Personally, I think that the only people who can really help the black community are black leaders. Not leaders who want to keep people stuck in poverty through government giveaways but black leaders who care about their mission and are good role models - and not for political gain. Listen to Bill Cosby. He's been trying for years to help.

Here are my questions. Again. Please do explain exactly how white people contributed to these 3 men robbing multiple homes. Also please let us know what responsible things white people should be doing to stop it (other than the many, many things they have already done to bend over backwards and help).

Chillen
Chillen 04/16/10 - 02:18 pm
You are right chel. Good

You are right chel. Good call.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 04/16/10 - 02:32 pm
Sarge, merely discussing

Sarge, merely discussing issues is not racsit in any way shape or form. And yes, black males in their teens to late 30's are the primary culprits of violent crimes within the CSRA and has continually grown across the country. You can check statistics all you want and the same conclusion will be reached every time. The same goes for our prison systems although many (black and white) are in for non-viloent drug use to which I believe we must come up with another solution instead of incarceration and the new drug court in our area is a good start - offer solutions for non-violent persons who are hurting theirselves through the use of drugs, etc. but as for those who take which is not theirs, they should loose all rights within our society and be placed in jail for quite a lont time. They should NEVER be allowed to participate in any social program offered by the government and should also loose their voting rights while in jail and until probation is completed because if you are not a contributing member to this society, you shoudn't have a say in the direction we are heading as a country. As for the violent criminals such as robbers, murderers, kidnappers, etc. should all be put to death. They serve absolutely no purpose remaining in this society and are draining taxpayers funds that could be put to good use on the education of our youth or drug re-hab for those with problems. Kudos to the Columbia County Sheriff's Office for being vigilant and pro-active, not giving up until the suspects were caught and devoting whatever resourses were necessary to catch these thugs which sends a clear message to criminals that when you come to Columbia County to mess with their citizens, you will be tracked, arrested, incarcareted and the punishments are generally stiffer. Richmond County Sheriff's Office needs more personnel and resourses along with proper salaries to attract the best officers and needs to once again take a very agressive approach to crimes against persons. Simply taking a report after a burglary is not police work but with their limited personnel, it is difficult for them to do all they would like to do in order to reduce crime and when they do catch these thugs, our area is filled with so many liberal judges, it seems like a revolving door at times.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 04/16/10 - 02:49 pm
When you grow up being

When you grow up being enabled by our government (no matter what race you are), living in government housing, eating using government EBT cards, being provided with free meals at school, using health care in emergency rooms without paying the bills and now getting full fledged health care, being provided with free or inexpensive transportation, getting a car for next to nothing using another give-a-way government program such as cash for clunkers, etc. etc. what do you expect and when the government rewards you with more money for having more kids that you can afford, we will continue having kids born with little to no morals and no knowleged of personal responsibility or acountibility. Most think "the government is taking care of them" but in reality, the government is taking from those who work to enable those who don't which is absolutely ridiculous. This problem is passed on from generation to geneartion and often children are told they are owed this and then begin to expect more. We should certainly help those who are unable to help theirselves and have temporary (6 weeks or less w/o extensions) for those who loose their jobs but beyond that, we need to teach people to take care of theirselves, lean on their family when they need help, turn to their friends, visit their church but they absolutely SHOULD NOT EXPECT the government to take care of them. This administration has become a major part of the problem (alhtough all criminals are responsible for their own actions and should not be able to blame others) and they continue to extend benefits for those not working without any checks and balances in place they simply choose to reward negative behavior. For those who voted for Obama for whatever reason, I can understand that based on the campaign he ran and the promises he made. But for ANYONE with 1/2 a brain who wants to see our country to be successful and for us to be a country of personal responsibiltiy, acountibility, etc. then you must acknowledge that we need Obama, Pelosi, Reid, Frank and others to be removed from office as soon as possible as their policies are a disgrace and are greatly hurting our country. I also find it very interesting that Obama donated a mere 6% to charities of the over 5 million he made last year and Biden donated a mere 2% according to their tax returns. It seems that these and many other liberals in office prefer to TAKE from hard working Americans through taxes in order for them to give as they please to others and this is not what our governemnt is or should be about. Enough is Enough and we need to stop enabling our citizens, rewarding bad behavior, hold people acountable for their actions and issue very strong punishment to criminals. America should belong to the hard working, productive, tax paying, law abiding citiznes, not the do-nothing, living off the government dole individuals or criminals.

butler123
butler123 04/16/10 - 03:19 pm
Asitis, I've been saying

Asitis, I've been saying these same things for years. I think a lot of people just didn't think too much about it until times got so hard for them. The welfare/food stamp program needs to be overhauled. It would save our country and the tax payers so much if they would have some kind of work programs and drug tests. If they made people work even a couple days a week for welfare I bet a lot of them would decide that they would rather have a job. I was on unemployment a couple of times for a month or two and it was such a pain in the butt that it wasn't worth it to me. I took a minimum wage job until I could find something else.

countyman
countyman 04/16/10 - 04:27 pm
Violent crime is only one

Violent crime is only one type of crime. There are several other crimes including drug cases. Meth is the number 1 drug in america. Take a look at the recent surge of kids placed into the GA foster care system.

Asitis... This wasn't a normal burglary. Accodring to WRDW the three men are connected to a string of burglaries in Columbia county. That's why CC used so much manpower. Nobody uses a helicopter for a normal burglary.

disssman
disssman 04/16/10 - 04:28 pm
If the police had shot anu

If the police had shot anu one of the three, would there be a giant uproar today about police brutality? Would the preachers be out in force lauding the love these crooks had for their probable illegitimate children. Get real folks, if you want it to stop, use deadly force. BTW I am sure the pistol wasn't stolen to hang on the wall as a trinket.