Canadian tourist arrested after jumping into Augusta National's pond

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 8:32 AM
Last updated 8:33 AM

A Canadian man has been released from the Richmond County jail, records indicate this morning, following his Sunday arrest after he jumped into a pond on the Augusta National Golf Club.

Sheriff's Lt. Scott Gay said the man, identified as Eric Sweet, took off his shirt and jumped into the pond after tournament play ended on the 16th hole.

"What he told us was he was hot, he was from Canada, and he didn't realize you couldn't jump into a pond," Gay said this morning.

Sweet appeared to be very drunk and told deputies that he had seen the rope line preventing him from going into that area. He was charged with disorderly conduct.

themaninthemirror
themaninthemirror 04/13/10 - 07:42 am
"and he didn't realize you

"and he didn't realize you couldn't jump into a pond," - Well, did he see anyone else doing it? I am sure jumping into a pond is not against the law, (unless at the Augusta National), but it is not something done for a public display.

mgr
mgr 04/13/10 - 08:00 am
Someone just lost tickets.

Someone just lost tickets.

walrus4ever
walrus4ever 04/13/10 - 09:07 am
Those ponds arent for

Those ponds arent for swimming they are for the membership to walk on.

carolinagirl1019
carolinagirl1019 04/13/10 - 10:14 am
Can I have his tickets??? :)

Can I have his tickets??? :)

Haha, good story Adam. I bet you had fun writing this one.

CP

Insider Information
Insider Information 04/13/10 - 10:31 am
walrus, great comment. Expect

walrus, great comment.
Expect a certain Canadian to disappear.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/13/10 - 10:34 am
I hope he enjoyed his last

I hope he enjoyed his last swim at the Masters...Walrus you are funny.

flipa
flipa 04/13/10 - 10:58 am
He failed the Master's Test.

He failed the Master's Test. He's supposed to WALK on the pond, not jump in. ha ha ah

ghsfrshmn
ghsfrshmn 04/13/10 - 11:30 am
nothing beats the drunk guy

nothing beats the drunk guy jumping into one of the bunkers at the 17th green last year and making sand angels.

GAterp
GAterp 04/13/10 - 12:32 pm
If he jumped in near the

If he jumped in near the green then they should have given him a rake to get some of the Titleists out of the muck.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 04/13/10 - 04:28 pm
Man, can you imagine how

Man, can you imagine how ticked off the owner of those tickets is going to be when they find out what his schmuck did?? Course, I'm assuming that this dude didn't get in on his own ticket. That's one reason why I would NEVER sell my badges to someone...well, that is whenever I might get'em!

Nightwing
Nightwing 04/13/10 - 06:30 pm
Canadian visitor seeing parts

Canadian visitor seeing parts of Augusta others did not see.

Lincoln County deputies injured breaking up fight

Two Lincoln County deputies were treated at an Augusta Hospital after being injured breaking up a fight at a party at an American Legion building in Lincolnton.