Grovetown student arrested on drug charge

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 4:31 PM
Last updated 4:55 PM

Police arrested a Grovetown High School student today on a drug possession charge.

During a drug search at the school using canines, authorities found three marijuana cigarettes inside a Chevy Colorado belonging to 17-year-old Timothy Cole Gress, said Columbia County sheriff's Capt. Steve Morris.

Gress, of the 2700 block of Stag Antler Road in Appling, spent 30 minutes at the county Detention Center this afternoon before he was released to his father on an $1,100 bond.

veggie-d
veggie-d 03/30/10 - 04:38 pm
uuhhh...is it o.k. to publish

uuhhh...is it o.k. to publish this much detailed info about a minor?

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 03/30/10 - 04:48 pm
They don't shield minors who

They don't shield minors who are criminals, convicted or not, unless they are very young indeed. Seventeen-year-olds are handled pretty much as if they were adults, even though they really aren't anywhere near it.

rthompson399
rthompson399 03/30/10 - 05:21 pm
@Veggie-d and Evans123, if

@Veggie-d and Evans123, if this so called minor breaks an adult law, then why not treat him like an adult. That is the problem with our society now. We always want to shield and protect the wrong from embarrassment. We need to use those that break the law as examples so that it will make others think twice about doing the same. If that would have been my son, he would have sat in that jail until the judge makes his ruling. I came from a strick old fashion up bringing that believed in tough love. Wake up parents and let’s get it together. Discipline starts at home!!!

countyman
19166
countyman 03/30/10 - 05:47 pm
In 2010 a seveteen year old

In 2010 a seveteen year old is a adult. Kids today are growing up much faster than there parents.

geordiewhelps
geordiewhelps 03/30/10 - 05:55 pm
More concerned about the fact

More concerned about the fact that he'll now have a criminal record. It's time to crawl out of the dark ages and legalize it. If not, then criminalize alcohol, tobacco, and coffee. Not to do so would be hypocritical. I know people with food addictions that do more harm to their bodies than pot ever did.

veggie-d
veggie-d 03/30/10 - 06:06 pm
i'm ALL about treating him

i'm ALL about treating him like an adult...IF that's what this really was about...but...if he is an adult...why won't society let him vote/drink/smoke/sign legal contracts/have sex with his teachers/etc. until then...he's a minor.

veggie-d
veggie-d 03/30/10 - 06:06 pm
uuummmm countyman-...that's

uuummmm countyman-...that's "an adult"...and "their parents"...

airbud7
airbud7 03/30/10 - 06:20 pm
Good point geordie, I agree.

Good point geordie, I agree.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 03/30/10 - 06:53 pm
De-criminalized or not, drugs

De-criminalized or not, drugs shouldn't be in a vehicle on school grounds. Question is, who left them there and why? Was it he or someone else? This could get interesting.

veggie-d
veggie-d 03/30/10 - 07:31 pm
doesn't matter who left it

doesn't matter who left it there...according to law it's in YOUR car...it's YOURS...that prevents a parent/friend/etc. for taking the rap to cover for him. ALL about legalizing bud...just not about condoning 17 yr olds or anyone else taking it to school/work. he's old enough to know better and dumb enough to do it anyway...that's a pretty dangerous mix.

veggie-d
veggie-d 03/30/10 - 07:34 pm
if it's his first offense

if it's his first offense geordie, he'll "virtually" have no record, as he can plea first offender and it will be expunged from his record. will make it difficult/impossible for him to get work in many public service areas, as THEY CAN view expunged records...firefighters/cops/military/etc...

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 03/30/10 - 07:45 pm
17 is considered an adult in

17 is considered an adult in Georgia when it comes to criminals. They go to the same jail as any other adult when they get arrested. The only difference is that the 17 year old can't buy cigarettes from the store call since it is illegal to sell them to anyone under 18.

geordiewhelps
geordiewhelps 03/30/10 - 08:50 pm
"17 is considered an adult in

"17 is considered an adult in Georgia when it comes to criminals."
He shouldn't be branded a criminal. When I hear the word "criminal", I envision burglars, armed robbers, property destruction, assault&battery, rape, and other violent, actual crimes. Those aren't typical pothead activities. Anyone who's smoked it knows that it's not that big of a deal, and being in my fifties, I honestly don't know that many people who don't at least smoke it occasionally, and in my fifty-plus years, I can count on one hand the number of people who've told me they've never tried it, and about the same number of people who said they didn't like it and never tried it again. It's illegal ONLY because pharmaceutical companies and the timber industry pay lawmakers to scare the hell out of voters so they can continue to sell their chemicals and rape the environment. One acre of hemp makes as much paper as four acres of timberland. I'm no tree hugger, I likes my wood furniture and stuff, but that seems like quite a saving of resources for something like paper. Google hemp. You won't believe all the things it can be turned in to. Amazing. Not to mention the buzzz...

Martinez
Martinez 03/30/10 - 10:30 pm
If he is old enough to have

If he is old enough to have drugs in his possession, I say post his name in lights. Maybe a little public humiliation will add to the lesson, although unfortunately with kids today it may have the opposite effect. The 30 minute detention though is rediculous. That basically means he was there long enough for someone to process paperwork. I think they could have dragged that out and made him sweat a little.

depdog1002002
depdog1002002 03/31/10 - 12:36 am
Well its a misdemeanor charge

Well its a misdemeanor charge so it wont really matter unless he gets busted again. He is charged as an adult so its going to be public record with his name. He should be embarrassed but I doubt that its going to harm him with his future. I doubt seriously after he turns 21 that any Law Enforcement Agency, Fire Department or Military will put up much fuss about it if he fesses up and admits to it on applications. It would be a past item, has not done it since and has moved on. About legalization of the stuff. I rather that it would be done. Easy on Law Enforcement and the courts. Spend less prosecution time and tax dollars and use it to generate revenue. People are going to do it, legal or not. Why not just go ahead and try to make the budget better and let it fund the stuff that the gov't and the people could use.

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 03/31/10 - 05:29 am
depdog I understand where you

depdog I understand where you are coming from about generating revenue. It could be treated like liquor. But your statement "People are going to do it, legal or not." is not a good argument. People are going to commit rape and murder legal or not.

caringmom64
caringmom64 03/31/10 - 08:32 pm
It's true that alot of times

It's true that alot of times 17 year olds are treated as adults in criminal matters. But it is my understanding that several kids were found ith various drugs and tabacco and weapons during yesterdays drug search at Grovetown. Why was none of this published? Why was Cole singled out? Seems biased to me????? I know of Cole and several of the others that were found to have illegal things. Shouldn't the punishment be the same across the board for ALL kids involved???? And the info printed for Cole?? Why not just include a map to his house???? I think it's unfair!!

are you serious
are you serious 04/01/10 - 12:47 am
I wondered about that as

I wondered about that as well? Why would they feel the need to put so much information about one student? Why put so much focus on one 17 year old kid? I guess we should feel safe living in a community where the big news story of the day is a 17 year old with a small amount of pot in his car at school with no intent to distribute.