Columbia County Chamber of Commerce president resigns

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 2:14 PM
Last updated 5:56 PM

Columbia County Chamber of Commerce President Jim Tingen resigned today.

An e-mailed announcement from the chamber said only that Tingen quit, effective today, "to pursue other career interests," and that Tammy Shepherd, vice president of business development for the chamber will serve as interim president.

"It is true," Tingen said. "I have resigned from the chamber. I don't think I've misbehaved or anything like that. It's just one of those things - I'm pursuing other interests, other business interests."

When asked if he had any specific business pursuits in mind, Tingen laughed and said, "Right now I'm going to be working on the weeds in my front yard."

Tingen was approaching his first anniversary as chamber president since his hiring April 15, 2009.

Acknowledging that the resignation would seem sudden to outsiders, Chamber Board Chairman Yvonne Meeks would not say if the resignation had been preceded by a disagreement with the board.

"We want it to be a very positive spin for everybody," she said. "Our group is a very astute group. We don't make any quick moves."

Tingen also wouldn't discuss whether there had been a disagreement with the board, such as the pay dispute that led to the resignation a year ago of then-President Karen Chrjapin.

"It's not like I tried to get raises and they wouldn't approve it," Tingen joked. "I really can't tell you anything now except that I agreed to pursue other interests, and they agreed to move on.

"We're trying to make it as nice and smooth as possible," he said. "I can't tell you any details."

Tingen formerly was with Calling Post Communications. After Chrjapin's resignation, he was selected for the position from among three finalists, including Shepherd.

All chamber events planned for Masters Week will go on as scheduled the Shepherd taking Tingen's place, Meeks said.

Emerydan
Emerydan 03/30/10 - 02:53 pm
sounds kind of fishy. Lots of

sounds kind of fishy. Lots of shakeups going on in Col Co

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 03/30/10 - 03:04 pm
At least we get them cleaned

At least we get them cleaned up.....

Hatfield0278
Hatfield0278 03/30/10 - 03:25 pm
Hmmm...did the people who

Hmmm...did the people who were interviewed "wink" when they gave their answers?

themaninthemirror
themaninthemirror 03/30/10 - 03:36 pm
"I really can't tell you

"I really can't tell you anything now except that I agreed to pursue other interests,"-Sounds like a resignation in lieu of firing to me.

check
check 03/30/10 - 03:46 pm
This is the third Columbia

This is the third Columbia Cty Chamber president in the last few years. Sounds like a Board problem.

Chillen
Chillen 03/30/10 - 04:00 pm
"I don't think I've

"I don't think I've misbehaved or anything like that" What is he talking about?!

dashiel
dashiel 03/30/10 - 05:12 pm
Based on those quoted in this

Based on those quoted in this article, the Columbia County Chamber of Commerce sure does sound smug and superficial. Maybe they fired this guy or he quit due to an advanced case of coyness. There's nothing cute or appealing about a business association that doesn't take its own business seriously.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/30/10 - 07:26 pm
Let's see if Barry Paschal

Let's see if Barry Paschal can sort all this out.

justus4
justus4 03/30/10 - 08:05 pm
See how this story is

See how this story is reported? Only a few known facts, a little background and that's it. No speculations, no asking someone else what happened, just as little info as possible. This will be the end of it, until someone else is appointed. Where is speculations of what it all means? Just remember the story when others are baggered w/o speculations and everyone has the reasons.

ponytailfnp
ponytailfnp 03/30/10 - 09:20 pm
Until someone else KNOWS

Until someone else KNOWS something else, then I say that it is exactly what it is. He is resigning to pursue another project and until he is free to discuss that new project, then he will be catching up on yardwork. This is an honest upright community member, so let's not go searching for wrongdoing where there is none.

ColCo
ColCo 03/30/10 - 11:21 pm
He was the wrong guy from the

He was the wrong guy from the beginning.