CHARLESTON, S.C. - A symphony orchestra on the South Carolina coast has suspended operations because of money problems.
The Post and Courier of Charleston reported today that the Charleston Symphony Orchestra has suspended operations, effective immediately.
Board president Ted Legasey says major gift giving is down 60 percent compared with last year.
It's the first time in the orchestra's 75-year history that a performance season has been disrupted because of money problems.
A concert scheduled April 17 has been canceled. Ticket holders are being asked to donate the cost of tickets to the organization.
Legasey says symphony management will cut its staff and develop a restructuring plan in hopes that bankruptcy can be avoided.
He says he hopes the symphony can resume performances next season.