Motorcyclist killed in collision

A 30-year-old motorcyclist was killed Sunday when he was struck by a car in the 2300 block of Washington Road, and the car's driver has been charged with vehicular homicide, Richmond County Chief Deputy Coroner Mark Bowen said.

Daniel Cohen of the 500 block of Regent Place was riding a 2003 Suzuki motorcycle westbound in the left through lane of the 2300 block of Washington Road. A 1985 Chevrolet Monte Carlo driven by a Dachavous Murphy was traveling westbound on the Broad Street ramp entering the 2300 block of Washington Road. As Murphy entered Washington Road, he began making a U-turn, crossing the left through lane of Washington Road, Bowen said.  Cohen struck the driver's side of the Monte Carlo.

Cohen was taken to the Medical College of Georgia, where he was pronounced dead at 7:53 p.m., Bowen said.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 03/29/10 - 08:36 am
I've seen this little

I've seen this little maneuver before and wondered how anyone who managed to get a license could believe it was ok to do it. Unbelievably dangerous and obviously stupid-- not mention self-centered and thoughtless when it comes to other people on the road. And now someone has died so that Dachavous could save a little time.

This deserves hard time.

ripjones
ripjones 03/29/10 - 08:42 am
What a moron -- getting on

What a moron -- getting on Washington Road and then deciding to make a U-turn. Thankfully he's been charged with vehicular homicide. Once again, a motorcyclist pays the supreme price, for another driver's stupidity. My thoughts and prayers are with the family who lost their loved one.

jeffersonmorris
jeffersonmorris 03/29/10 - 09:27 am
This is so tragic... We’ll

This is so tragic... We’ll miss you Daniel. My thought and prayers are with the Cohen family.

CorporalGripweed
CorporalGripweed 03/29/10 - 09:42 am
This was a horrible accident,

This was a horrible accident, as my wife and I passed it on our way home from dinner last night. The car involved is one of the big jacked up boom cars that rides annoyingly up and down the streets of Harrisburg. It is so jacked up that the driver probably never even saw the cyclist. This car won't be booming anymore. Prayers to the Cohen family.

inAUGsince1832
inAUGsince1832 03/29/10 - 09:56 am
daniel, you will be missed.

daniel, you will be missed.

Just tired
Just tired 03/29/10 - 10:57 am
Fiat_Lux is entirely correct

Fiat_Lux is entirely correct about seeing this maneuver frequently. Dachavous was performing like so many these thugs do these days silly looking "gangsta" cars. I know, I know, the Sheriff can't do anything about this kind of behavior either. He's sooooo shorthanded and all: So sad. So how does he explain deputies routinely sitting in traffic viewing and ignoring these kinds of maneuvers. Oh wait, they didn't see anything because they're on their cell phones.

scott-hudson
scott-hudson 03/29/10 - 11:35 am
Daniel was a great guy with a

Daniel was a great guy with a lot to live for, yes, he will be sorely missed.

M
M 03/29/10 - 12:07 pm
Praying for Daniel's family

Praying for Daniel's family and many friends. His upbeat nature and kindness will certainly be missed.

RogueKnight
RogueKnight 03/29/10 - 12:30 pm
My sincere condolences to the

My sincere condolences to the Cohen family. I hope Murphy gets hard time for this. An illegal U-turn cost someone their life. He must pay for his mistake. Look twice, save a life. Motorcycles are everywhere.

devgru1
devgru1 03/29/10 - 03:31 pm
Dachavous Murphy, your

Dachavous Murphy, your stupidity cost someone their life. May you pay the price.

Kramer
Kramer 03/29/10 - 04:32 pm
This is very sad. The

This is very sad. The Cohen's are just about the nicest folks I even knew. They are a generous and caring family and this event will crush them forever. I pray for their comfort and I pay that the horrible feelings they have will shift to the loving and fond memories of their beautiful son. A great loss to this communit. Please don't express vengeful feelings concerning the party at fault. That accomplishes nothing.

ChandlerSmith
ChandlerSmith 03/29/10 - 08:22 pm
Daniel you will be greatly

Daniel you will be greatly missed! May God be with the Cohen family after this tragedy. I have many wonderful memories of you Daniel and will miss you dearly! I pray for your family. I hope this is an eye opener to everyone to think and pay attention after you crank your car! My friend had to loose his life because someone didn't!

Miss you Bunches Daniel!!!

belle
belle 03/30/10 - 06:51 am
I am pretty sure it not

I am pretty sure it not illegal to make a u-turn unless there is a sign saying otherwise. Crazy to make one across a 5 lane road and at an intersection like Calhoun....absolutely. I am sure the homicide charge stems from reckless disregard to insure the lane was clear. My codolences to the Cohen family.

55 F-100
55 F-100 03/30/10 - 07:53 am
Belle, you need to review the

Belle, you need to review the State of Georgia traffic laws, and read them before you make your next U-Turn.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/30/10 - 08:18 am
The Ga. DOT is now favoring

The Ga. DOT is now favoring center medians (usually raised concrete) on multi-lane roads, and then having designated places where one can make a U-turn. They seem to work pretty well. Unfortunately, people are resistant to change, so business owners and many ordinary citizens protest whenever a median is proposed, so we end up with suicide lanes.

Perhaps a concrete median from Calhoun Expressway up to the red light might be a good idea there, perhaps not. One thing for sure, it is not good to jerk one's knee everytime some driver does a bonehead action and causes a death. Make sure the "corrective action" does not cause more problems than the original condition.

belle
belle 03/30/10 - 09:09 am
No vehicle shall be turned so

No vehicle shall be turned so as to proceed in the opposite direction:

(1) Upon any curve;

(2) Upon the approach to or near the crest of a grade where such vehicle cannot be seen by the driver of another vehicle approaching from either direction;

(3) Where such turn cannot be made in safety and without interfering with other traffic; or

(4) Where a prohibition is posted.

Thanks for the clarification. Still, all are not illegal. This one clearly was. And stupid.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/30/10 - 10:32 am
Thanks for the info, Belle.

Thanks for the info, Belle. Let's see, in this case Washington Rd. is not a curve in this location, so item 1 does not apply. Washington Rd. is not a hill in this location, so item 2 does not apply. A prohibition is not posted, so item 4 does not apply. That leaves item 3. Clearly, since a person died, the turn was not made safely nor without interfering with other traffic. So the turn was illegal because of the particular circumstance, not because of the design or construction of the road. A U-turn would be legal at that location if traffic was not oncoming.

chris baby
chris baby 03/31/10 - 07:30 pm
Some people survive accidents

Some people survive accidents and some people dont.. If they dont? god was ready for them.. i dont think dachavous murphy meant for it to happen in for yall to hope bad for him were is the forgiveness.... Mistakes happen every body deserve a second chance he my best friend an i know he was just at the wrong place at the wrong time ..it was illegal to make a u-turn i pretty sure he didnt know some bad was gone happen i know thats why we have rules every body done did something illegal .. We're not perfect so stop actin like it! i hope he dont do that much time i hope we all can forgive him cause god did

chris baby
chris baby 04/01/10 - 08:26 pm
Im pretty sure he was in the

Im pretty sure he was in the wrong but was the man in the wrong? no licence for the motocyclist innocent man was killed with no licence and an innocent tookin to jail for an mistake dat he made ..things happen

TimesLikeThese
TimesLikeThese 04/06/10 - 10:31 am
Chris- Im sure that Murphy

Chris-
Im sure that Murphy didn't mean for it to happen and you're right, no one is perfect. Unfortunately, that doesn't change the fact that he was not paying attention and pulled a numbskull move that got someone killed.

Being familiar with the area, I cannot think of a more illegal and idiotic maneuver someone could do. I do not wish Murphy ill, but I do feel strongly that he should have his license revoked for the rest of his life. If as you say, you are only pretty sure that what he did was wrong, then perhaps you should also have your license taken away. He cut right in front of Daniel in order to make an illegal U turn across three lanes of traffic so that he wouldn't have to go a little further down the road and turn around. He was obviously not paying attention, likely because he was either laying low in his seat, bumping music, talking on his cell phone, or all of the above.

Daniel was an excellent motorcyclist and this would not have happened if Murphy had even a vague understanding of traffic laws. I can tell from Chris's comments that he, like Murphy, probably drives around doing whatever he feels like and not paying attention to the people around him. I hope that this tragedy reaches others and makes them recognize that driving is a potentially lethal activity that should be treated as such.

Daniel Cohen was a great person, truly one of a kind. He was full of life and energy and had so much left to give to this world. He was known and loved by so many people. It is difficult to understand why things like this happen. I am just grateful that I knew him and could call him my friend. I wouldn't be who I am today without Daniel. It hurts me every time to think that he is gone and I know that my pain is nothing compared to that of his wonderful family. I will remember him and miss him for the rest of my life.

Officers tell of trauma from taking life

Although every experience is different, officers who take a life often experience severe bouts of depression, alcoholism, marital problems, sleepless nights and feelings of being alone in the ...