Aiken County to retain General Motors dealership

Johnson Motor Co. to stay in GM network

Monday, March 29, 2010 9:20 AM
Last updated 4:54 PM

Aiken County won't lose all of its General Motors dealerships.

Tim Rausch
Business Editor
Twitter: @Scuttlebiz
E-mail | 706-823-3352

Johnson Motor Co. of South Carolina, in Graniteville, will remain in the GM dealer network, it announced this afternoon.

In May 2009, Johnson Motor was named as one of the 2,000 dealers in the nation that GM intended to cut from its dealer network. Henna Chevrolet was also on that list, which would have left Aiken County without a GM dealer come October.

"We've been working hand in hand with General Motors and thanks to the hard work of our employees - and most importantly our loyal customers - I'm happy to announce that General Motors has selected Johnson Motor Co. to represent them in sales and service in Aiken County," said dealer Duncan Johnson Jr.

Johnson said his dealership won't need to proceed through an arbitration process.

The dealer sells Buick and GMC in Aiken County. Its dealership in Augusta also sells Cadillac and Saab.

"We have not closed down, we have had new product here since we got the letter in May of last year," Johnson said.

Henna Chevrolet Cadillac is in the preliminary stages of going to arbitration with General Motors.

"We're hoping to get the same news they got," said general manager Jimmy Scott.

David Jameson, president of the Aiken Chamber of Commerce, said it is good news to hear that the county will get to keep at least one of its GM dealers.

"That was quite a blow to us last may, when they pulled all of our dealerships. It did not make a bit of sense. It seemed like an arbitrary decision," Jameson said. "It helps customers that have been very loyal to this product."

Jameson said the chamber has been cheering for Henna and Johnson to succeed in changing GM's mind.

Henna currently sells used cars, but is still under franchise to sell new Chevrolet and Cadillac if it wanted, Scott said.

corgimom
corgimom 03/29/10 - 09:07 am
A car dealer is holding a

A car dealer is holding a press conference. Well, whatever.

themaninthemirror
themaninthemirror 03/29/10 - 09:30 am
They are going into the horse

They are going into the horse and buggy business.

Just tired
Just tired 03/29/10 - 09:45 am
More whining from the

More whining from the automobile folks. Whatever.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 03/29/10 - 10:04 am
I heard that since these

I heard that since these folks aren't getting their GM franchise back, they have something earth-shattering planned! The rumor I heard is that they will be the exclusive regional dealer for Yugos, Chevettes, Pacers, and maybe, just maybe...Gremlins! Now, if THAT'S not big news, I don't know what is!!

Indigo
Indigo 03/29/10 - 11:04 am
You can thank your UNIONS for

You can thank your UNIONS for the mess the car industry is in, as well as the airline industry. These CRIMINAL organizations are running everything into the ground. WAIT until they get their teeth into health-care as a result of OBAMAunCARE.

sroney
sroney 03/29/10 - 03:07 pm
You guys obviously aren't

You guys obviously aren't from this area or you would see the value of local businesses and why should should prosper. Try reading before you comment, Just My..., It says they are KEEPING the franchises. pay attention, or at least try. What is it they say opinions are like?....hmmph..must be true. And, Indigo, I prpbably agree with you on alot of things about unions, but I doubt anyone at that dealership is a union member. Just good people trying to keep their jobs and help Aiken county prosper!

themaninthemirror
themaninthemirror 03/29/10 - 03:07 pm
Well, alrighty then!

Well, alrighty then!

fd1962
fd1962 03/29/10 - 03:38 pm
Ford has announced they are

Ford has announced they are introducing a gas-saving, economy model to compliment their line. They will call it: the 1993 Ford Taurus.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 03/29/10 - 05:47 pm
sroney, just so you can come

sroney, just so you can come down off your high and mighty attitude, when I wrote my comment at 11:04 AM, there was NO announcement that they were being allowed to keep their franchise...the article was updated with that info. Okay? See, you need to be aware of how things work on this site before you start making rude comments and passing judgement. But, my opinion on you is that I will forgive you since you didn't know any better. As far as the story goes, I'm glad for the dealership, but it's bad news for me! I had my eye on a sharp green Gremlin, but now I'm outta luck!

Indigo
Indigo 03/29/10 - 08:44 pm
Sroney, the REASON GM went

Sroney, the REASON GM went under is the UNIONIZATION. I realize they are now keeping THIS franchise, but most arent.

And THEY are the losers.....please note the UAW hasnt lost a cent. All those years selling cars, gone in the blink of an eye.

Funding for homeless down slightly

Federal funding for local homeless programs decreased by $552 this year compared to 2014, which community leaders hope to offset in the future by expanding the city's homeless count into south ...