Martinez teen reported missing

Monday, March 22, 2010 3:55 PM
Last updated 7:13 PM

Columbia County police are asking for help locating a missing Martinez teen.

Ashley Nicole Pon, 15, was last seen March 10 at her home in the 200 block of Creekview Circle. Her grandmother said Ashley was wearing black shorts, a brown vest and flip flops, according to a Columbia County sheriff's report.

Ashley is 5 feet 5 inches tall, 140 pounds, with brown hair and brown eyes.

Because she has run away many times, she is wearing a court-ordered monitoring device, said sheriff's Capt. Steve Morris. But authorities have been unable to locate her. She is presumed to be staying with friends in the Augusta area, Morris said.

If she is found, Ashley will be charged as an unruly child and taken to the Regional Youth Detention Center, Morris said.

Anyone with information about Ashley's location should contact sheriff's office Investigator Stephanie Carani at (706) 541-2862.

Reach Valerie Rowell at (706) 868-1222, ext. 110 or

valerie.rowell@augustachronicle.com.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 03/22/10 - 04:37 pm
Dang! "...run away many

Dang! "...run away many times and is wearing a court-ordered monitoring device.."?? This little chick just doesn't want to stay home with grandma, does she? Well, you can obviously tell this is a very troubled relationship and a very troubled young girl. I sincerely hope she doesn't fall in with the wrong people. Hate to see her picture in the paper for some other nefarious situation. Very sad that her life has come to this. And I'm sure her grandmother didn't sign up for this sort of thing either!

humbleopinion
humbleopinion 03/22/10 - 06:57 pm
Looks like a cute girl. It's

Looks like a cute girl. It's a shame that she is getting her life off to such a bad start at an early age. I'll say a prayer for her safe return and that she finds the direction she needs in her life before it's too late.....

sassygirl12
sassygirl12 03/22/10 - 07:06 pm
hopefully she will be found

hopefully she will be found safe. may god bless her and her family

devgru1
devgru1 03/22/10 - 07:14 pm
Monitoring devices are a

Monitoring devices are a waste of time and money. Judges have a fantasy that they are the solution to all things criminal.

corgimom
corgimom 03/22/10 - 07:28 pm
She is wearing the monitoring

She is wearing the monitoring device as a last-ditch effort before she is locked up. What a troubled, immature child she is.

To her family, I know that you have done your level best. I am so sorry that you are going through this. I hope that she is found soon.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 03/22/10 - 07:40 pm
A lot of good the monitoring

A lot of good the monitoring device does. Nice to know criminals can be let out with a device that does not know where they are and they can be out reoffending. Why don't those things have gps's in them?

Mulanrouge25
Mulanrouge25 03/22/10 - 08:54 pm
I do not mean to sound dumb

I do not mean to sound dumb but if she is wearing a device shouldn't that locate her? I don't understand???

kenworth
kenworth 03/22/10 - 09:44 pm
mul the devices have to be

mul the devices have to be charged every day if not the battrey goes dead. they only work if you are honest.

Classicsouth1
Classicsouth1 03/22/10 - 11:02 pm
I can't help but think about

I can't help but think about all the kids that would give anything for a home and someone to care about them. This girl is throwing a lot away. A grandmother, court system, even the newspaper care about this girl. She should wake up for a few days with nobody caring. Then she would no longer be a runaway because nobody would care.

mary dits
mary dits 03/23/10 - 12:22 am
how are you all so sure that

how are you all so sure that she's the problem and not her family? i'm not saying it's not that way, but how do you all know? did you read something i didn't?

charliemanson
charliemanson 03/23/10 - 06:09 am
Where is mom and dad in this

Where is mom and dad in this girl's life???

1941
1941 03/23/10 - 06:44 am
This is news? There are

This is news? There are runaways every day, what is so important about this one?

peonynut
peonynut 03/23/10 - 07:55 am
Are you kidding me? Comment

Are you kidding me? Comment above states they are sure her parents did their level best. Sure blame it on the child; get it, child. I wonder what her parents have done to her to make her this way while you blame her. Obviously you had a wonderful childhood.
Her monitoring device probably came from Sentinel and it is a cheap piece of fill in the blank.