KKK to delay Aiken County rally

AIKEN -- The KKK will postpone their rally until June, according to Tim Bradley, Grand Dragon of the Church of the National Knights of the Ku Klux Klan.

Bradley said after further planning with the city of Burnettown and Aiken County, everyone felt it would be safer if the event were put on hold.

"They wanted to accommodate us and make sure everybody's safe," said Bradley.

Earlier this month, Bradley voiced suspicion about Burnettown park rentals and their lack of availability. Bradley said in the last week the Aiken County Parks, Recreation and Tourism department has been cooperative and wanted to make sure they avoided violence at the rally. The June event will be held at Gloverville Park on Pine Street.

The KKK members are also expected to wear a camouflage street uniform instead of their traditional white robes, Bradley said. Close to 100 Klan members from across the state and other areas are planning to attend the rally and parade. The last KKK rally was held 10 years ago in Burnettown.

marvincates
marvincates 03/19/10 - 05:41 pm
Geez, there go my plans.

Geez, there go my plans. Until June.

What's the big deal anyway? Somebody scared of something? Wasn't there a MLK parade last month? There weren'r any protesters at the MLK parade. There was no opposition to the parade mentioned in the newspaper. Why can't people live and let live?

I am not in favor of the gay pride parade to be held in downtown Augusta. I will not attend but if they want to make utter fools of themselves by flaunting it in public, then so be it.

raging rasta
raging rasta 03/19/10 - 06:24 pm
That's a great comment

That's a great comment marvincates and the kkk can do the sameand make utter fools of themselves in their parade... I am a advocate for freedom of speech no matter how unpopular the voice is. But let's not compare MLK to the KKK. Martin Luther King believed in equality for not only blacks but for everyone. He wasn't a radical nationalist who was bent on white supremacy. The reason why there wasn't any protest for a MLK parade was probably because of the sense that what he stood for was morally right for ALL human beings, not just some.

Notreally
Notreally 03/19/10 - 06:29 pm
LOL @ SAFE did he say SAFE

LOL @ SAFE did he say SAFE from who? he must be a scary KKK leader out in the open, but oh boy behind closed doors and from his pulpit I bet he's not scared. SAFE FALLS OUT LAUGHING.

TheDeerhunter
TheDeerhunter 03/19/10 - 06:43 pm
yea geez mlk v. kkk. Great

yea geez mlk v. kkk. Great comparison. (sarcasm)

Lisa the alaskan
Lisa the alaskan 03/19/10 - 08:20 pm
I can't believe that this

I can't believe that this paper is helping out the KKK by spreading their message! IF these "people" want a big turn out at a hate rally I think the general public should be the least help possible. I also can't believe that there is a park willing to sponsor this group. Honestly this type of crap could only ever fly in the south- The fact that organizations such as this still exist and have articles that just nonchaluntly mention a rally is sickining! I hope 10x more protesters show up than members and that they get so scared they do what they do best- crawl back into thier homes and HIDE! I hate anyone that can be so ignorant as to actually think less of a person based on skin tone.

Taylor B
Taylor B 03/19/10 - 09:40 pm
Its not an advertisement. Its

Its not an advertisement. Its called "reporting."

curly123053
curly123053 03/19/10 - 11:44 pm
I thought they were moving

I thought they were moving their "thing" to Edgefield County?

justus4
justus4 03/20/10 - 06:26 am
...and the hoods have gotta

...and the hoods have gotta come off because this bunch has got members working everywhere - even in uniform/government. Great country, eh?

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 03/20/10 - 06:43 am
This kind of 'reporting' is

This kind of 'reporting' is actually propaganda to stir the race pot in this area....seems like the local media needs an attitude adjustment about what NEWS really is...the news is that they are actually approving this kind of crap and the voices of no protest are the public's response...what a wasted bunch we have around here...grow up people...we don't have to accept KKK in our area..we should run them outta town on a rail...

DAMY46
DAMY46 03/20/10 - 07:32 am
They could apply for a permit

They could apply for a permit and march with the gay pride crowd...Have them both at the same time...

Runner46
Runner46 03/20/10 - 07:34 am
With an illegal immigration

With an illegal immigration amnesty in the works, I believe the KKK may be of some use in this day and age. At least they would be ready to take appropriate action, unlike our government!

cleanup
cleanup 03/20/10 - 07:35 am
I guess Billy couldn't make

I guess Billy couldn't make it, so they changed the date for him.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 03/20/10 - 08:16 am
Just as the MLK crowd changed

Just as the MLK crowd changed King's message from "...judged by character not color" to "...yu owes me" the KKK can change their message from "White Supremacy" to "....special and undeserved privileges for blacks is an assault on the white Americans". Racism still runs rampant in both organizations.

apex24
apex24 03/20/10 - 08:33 am
Justus, the reason there

Justus, the reason there still is a KKK is because of people like you, Sharpton, Jackson, Farrakahn, The New Black Panther Party to name just a FEW.

Notreally
Notreally 03/20/10 - 09:08 am
apex24 and because the KKK is

apex24 and because the KKK is still around is the reason Jackson, Sharpton, Farrakahn, The New Black Panther party just to name a few are still here. GO FIGURE.

jack234
jack234 03/20/10 - 09:37 am
I think they should let them

I think they should let them march but they should not be aloud to wear their hoods because of the war on terrorism. No hoods could be easily justified and enforced. Also, with the hoods off, we're know where not to spend our money. And if someone is comparing this hate march to the MLK parade, then, we do have a long way to go. Oh yea, those who hold the confederate flag in such high esteen, are you going to be there to protest them defaming the confederate flag?

CyndiCk
CyndiCk 03/20/10 - 09:40 am
I had heard that the rally

I had heard that the rally was going to be in Edgefield on the 30th of this month. I guess not. I'd be interested in hearing what they have to say about illegal immigration.

jack234
jack234 03/20/10 - 10:12 am
If I am proud of what I

If I am proud of what I believe in, I am not going to hide my face - I am going to hold my head up high and show my face. The KKK need to stop being shy in the public. HELLO! HELLO! HELLO! Mr. Klan.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 03/20/10 - 10:14 am
jack234, some good and

jack234, some good and sensible points on your 9:37. The hoods need to be banned at all public meetings (just as with the New Black Panther). The only purpose for them is intimidation. Hiding while representing your "beliefs" is silly. As far as "hate parade" goes, that's a term also used to describe the MLK parade ( by those objecting) and the gay parade (also, by those objecting). All three parades are "in your face" displays by the supporters, or as the paraders like to say, celebrations of their perspective. As far as the Confederate Flag issue goes, it's defamed as much by the NAACP as by anyone. The KKK is more of a cross bearing group. Do you or any other group want to ban the cross from all public display because of the klan's use of it?

jack234
jack234 03/20/10 - 10:17 am
If you live in Aiken, you

If you live in Aiken, you need to call your council members and commissioners and insist that the hoods come off for security reasons. That is, the War on Terror. Someone could roll a grenade and we wouldn't know who did it because of the hoods. If you live in Aiken, call and insist that the permit only be given with the provision that the hoods come off for security reasons. You can't get on a plane with a hood on. HELLO! HELLO! HELLO!

jack234
jack234 03/20/10 - 10:21 am
I will criticize the use of

I will criticize the use of the cross by the Klan? Will the good people who hold the confederate flag in such high regard like-wise criticize the klan for using the flag? I wonder. HELLO! HELLO! HELLO!

InChristLove
InChristLove 03/20/10 - 11:00 am
jack234 and Notreally, did

jack234 and Notreally, did you even read this article. It states " The KKK members are also expected to wear a camouflage street uniform instead of their traditional white robes" If they are in street uniform I seriously doubt they'd top it off with their traditional white hood. By the way it's the Aiken County Parks, Recreation and Tourism Department that suggested they put the rally on hold due to their concerns of violence at the rally. Seems to me they were more concerned about the actions of the protesters than the clansmen themselves. Why is it okay to have a "Gay Parade" and not a "KKK Parade", according to both they are just celebrating their way of life?

my.voice
my.voice 03/20/10 - 11:05 am
Now I have to re-arrange my

Now I have to re-arrange my WHOLE schedule because of this delay LOL.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 03/20/10 - 11:30 am
Hey deerhunter, I never said

Hey deerhunter, I never said you did. If you read my comment, I was referring to those who have changed MLK's message. What's your definition of a racist? Someone who doesn't give you special privileges? or someone who is of a different color? If you chose to be honest, you'd know that if all racists died out, the % of black Americans would fall drastically.

jack234
jack234 03/20/10 - 12:04 pm
I would rather they wore

I would rather they wore those camouflage uniforms in Iraq. There they would have my blessings. HELLO! HELLO! No gun control there. HELLO! HELLO!

Lisa the alaskan
Lisa the alaskan 03/20/10 - 12:06 pm
Wow, there are so many simple

Wow, there are so many simple simple minded people out there. There is a huge difference between a gay pride or a Martin Luther King Parade- the big one being that they preach a message of Love and tolerance! I can't believe people can compare them to a KKK rally. The KKK do not preach a message of how they live their lives, they preach a message of HATE- for all those people that think its ok that is why the south is so behind. As for some of you people thinking this group would help with illegal imigration- you really don't have your facts straight, considering they don't want Intergration at all ( legal or not) No group that has only a negative message should be permitted to assemble in a public area. They are not proud to be white they are just proud not to be black- it isn't the same as any other group. And yes racism is a two way street, but I bet if there were an all black (or any other minority group), walking the streets preaching that all whites should be dead the general public wouldn't tolerate that at all. If you ask me any and all Klan members that open their mouths to spew hatred should be charged with a hate crime. (that's my opinion and I am white.)

DontTazeMeBro
DontTazeMeBro 03/20/10 - 12:35 pm
Delta's ready when YOU are

Delta's ready when YOU are

confederate american
confederate american 03/20/10 - 01:01 pm
jack234-the sons of

jack234-the sons of confederate veterans always come out against the kkk.also the klan carries the american flag and christian flags but nothing is every said about that.but when the news media shows the rally they always make sure that they show the klan with the battle flag behind them.

happychimer
happychimer 03/20/10 - 01:30 pm
The KKK is scared to wear

The KKK is scared to wear their white sheets.T hey use the cross to hide behind. Most people don't want them around. I hate all hate groups, and that includes the KKK. I was taught that the Confederate flag represents the South where I was born and raised. I was never taught that it is a flag of hate. The KKK has no Christian members. No real Christian joins a hate group.

InChristLove
InChristLove 03/20/10 - 03:24 pm
Lisa, I don't believe anyone

Lisa, I don't believe anyone said the Gays and the KKK preach the same thing. What I said was that both groups have their parade to celebrate their way of life. If the Gays can have a parade to celebrate a way of life that most call sin, then the KKK can have their parade which most do not agree with and consider sin. One might consider the former Love and the later Hate, but both have that right. You don't agree with the KKK and I don't agree with either.