Dr. Jerry Buccafusco dies

Saturday, March 6, 2010 10:11 AM
Last updated 4:49 PM

Dr. Jerry Buccafusco, Regents professor and director of the Alzheimer's Center at Medical College of Georgia, died early this morning at his Evans home.

Dr. Jerry Buccafusco  File/Staff
File/Staff
Dr. Jerry Buccafusco

Buccafusco, who was also the husband of Columbia County school board Chairwoman Regina Buccafusco, was diagnosed with advanced-stage liver and lung cancer less than two weeks ago. He died about 4:30 a.m. surrounded by his family, Mrs. Buccafusco said.

Visitation will be Monday evening at Platt's Funeral Home in Evans, with the funeral Tuesday at St. Mary on the Hill Catholic Church, Mrs. Buccafusco said.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 03/06/10 - 10:52 am
This is very sad. He was a

This is very sad. He was a terrific asset to MCG and the community. Condolences to his family and friends on their loss.

LBenedict
LBenedict 03/06/10 - 12:03 pm
Regina and family, I am so

Regina and family, I am so sorry for your loss. Take comfort in knowing that Jerry is in Heaven watching over you. If you need anything, let me know.

storiesihaveread
storiesihaveread 03/06/10 - 12:19 pm
Sad very sad. Prayers are

Sad very sad. Prayers are with the family at this time. Maybe one day a test can detect all cancers and a one shot cure all.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 03/06/10 - 02:42 pm
Oh, I just hate cancer! Too

Oh, I just hate cancer! Too many lives taken by this disease. Why doesn't this world take it more seriously and devote more funding to it's eradication than funding ridiculous things such as bovine gas? Regina, I used to work "for" you many, many years ago. You are a good woman and I'm so sorry to see your husband pass this way! God bless y'all.

MarvinG
MarvinG 03/06/10 - 02:54 pm
Jerry J. Buccafusco, Ph.D was

Jerry J. Buccafusco, Ph.D was a great scientist,a great educator, a great human being, a great father and husband and now a great loss to our society. (LMG)

devgru1
devgru1 03/06/10 - 04:10 pm
Diagnosed with advanced-stage

Diagnosed with advanced-stage liver and lung cancer less than two weeks ago. Cancer is very unforgiving and kills quickly. Sad.

SusanHynes
SusanHynes 03/06/10 - 04:47 pm
Regina, Chris and Marty, My

Regina, Chris and Marty,
My mother just informed me of Jerry's passing. I am so sorry for your loss, he was a wonderful man. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Susan Queen Hynes, Marietta, GA

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 03/06/10 - 06:26 pm
Regina and family, some of

Regina and family, some of our fondest memories of you and Jerry were our talks while our kids were playing soccer. We are so sorry for your loss. We offer our most sincere condolences, thoughts and prayers, for you and your family. Jerry's loss will be in the hearts and minds of his colleagues and our community for a long time to come. May God bless you and give you all relief from your sorrows.

Sincerely,

Jim and Frances McKenzie and Jay Wilkins

soldout
soldout 03/06/10 - 06:56 pm
So sad and so fast. The

So sad and so fast. The power and effect of having to tell someone they have cancer is also a factor. When they find the cure it will probably be very simple as most good answers to problems are usually simple and inexpensive. Some research going on now is showing some very simple causes but it is too early in the research to have conclusions. Also lots of sickness has an emotional basis and we wont find that fix in a drug. May the family be blessed with the peace that only comes from God as they go through this time.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 03/06/10 - 07:12 pm
Dr. B was a great guy, and a

Dr. B was a great guy, and a top scientist. He will be missed by his MCG family, and they are many. God bless Regina and the boys at this very difficult time.

hotrodluvr
hotrodluvr 03/07/10 - 09:22 pm
To Jerry's family. I will

To Jerry's family. I will miss Jerry very much. I've done so much work for him in the past 10 years as a designer and fabricator. Thank you for believing in me and allowing me to advance your research in searching for a cure for Alzheimers. You will be missed. Godspeed, my friend.

robertamcarthur
robertamcarthur 03/09/10 - 04:30 am
We will miss Jerry and his

We will miss Jerry and his driving enthusiasm. His contribution to neuroscience was spectacular. God bless.

Court rules in probation case

ATLANTA -- The Supreme Court issued a unanimous decision this morning concluding that it is legal for local courts to contract with private companies to supervise offenders on probation for minor ...