Propane cannisters stolen

Wednesday, Feb. 24, 2010 8:39 AM
Last updated 6:45 PM

Propane tanks were apparently stolen from a local business between Feb. 15 and Monday, according to Richmond County deputies.

Workers at Sunni's Neighborhood Market on Lumpkin Road noticed 10 canisters valued at $520 were missing on Monday, according to a Richmond County Sheriff's report.

Authorities reported that 16 propane tanks had been taken earlier in the month from two Wrightsboro Road businesses. After each theft, the sheriff's office must notify Homeland Security officials because the tanks are explosive.

disssman
disssman 02/24/10 - 10:11 am
Wow. At $52 a tank for

Wow. At $52 a tank for bar-b-que gas, I doubt they were selling much. Personally, I go to a gas station on Peach orchard that refills the tank (completely and not just a half tank) for less than half that amount.

themaninthemirror
themaninthemirror 02/24/10 - 10:13 am
They can be used to keep

They can be used to keep small gas heaters going. Gas prices are not that bad right now, so there can't be much of a demand on the black market for them.

gnumbgnuts
gnumbgnuts 02/24/10 - 10:33 am
disssman, don't you exchange

disssman, don't you exchange your tank and really only pay for the LP, or do you have a bunch of empty tanks laying around?

egan01
egan01 02/24/10 - 10:33 am
They will get them back when

They will get them back when they are empty.

Taylor B
Taylor B 02/24/10 - 11:24 am
Hank Hill strikes again

Hank Hill strikes again

GAterp
GAterp 02/24/10 - 12:56 pm
If they are stealing from

If they are stealing from Sunni's, then I also hope they're taking from the Shiites and the Kurds too. And remember folks, if it is not locked down, then it is ripe for the taking, expecially in these hard times!

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/24/10 - 03:19 pm
I'm reminded of the poor GI

I'm reminded of the poor GI in Iraq at the checkpoint who saw the propane tanks in the backseat and opened fired on the driver. Come to find out that's how they transported the tanks.

disssman
disssman 02/24/10 - 03:26 pm
Gnumb I have two tanks and

Gnumb I have two tanks and they actually fill the one I take in. It is really less than half price. As to the thefts. I was just at a station that sells tanks. Their tanks are around the corner from the entrance and secured with a padlock and guess what they have no camera watching the area. Pretty dumb if you ask me. The price of a camera system would have been far less than 540 bucks. I don't know why these businesses are so against providing some type of security surveillance system for their employees and their stores.

corgimom
corgimom 02/24/10 - 03:35 pm
It's CANISTER, not cannister.

It's CANISTER, not cannister.

emergencyfan
emergencyfan 02/24/10 - 03:52 pm
sell71
sell71 02/24/10 - 03:57 pm
corgimom...it can be spelled

corgimom...it can be spelled either way.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 02/24/10 - 04:22 pm
And also sell there are those

And also sell there are those of us who will not conform to that style of spelling. I was born and raised in the USA and will continue to spell as I have known all my life. Do they acknowledge those spellings in school corgi? Like the cannister and theatre instead of theater, centre instead of center. I don't know what its called, but they can keep it over there in my opinion. I wouldn't think the schools would accept it, but it seems the rest of society has, especially journalism, they don't care if you spell anything right these days... its sad. I mean have you seen the Obama feed the hungry commercials? 1 in 8 Americans is hungry. 1 in 8 americans is starving. I mean I applaud the cause, but basic English should not be to much to ask of professionals, and including your president in your illiterate commercial. No one noticed this horrible grammar? Nope, its accepted. Instead of creating more intelligent people we just set the standards so low and conform to those who choose not to learn to do things correctly. Pathetic.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 02/24/10 - 06:39 pm
Well I did some looking up on

Well I did some looking up on the subject and it seems we changed the Brittish language to how we wanted it. New country, new language. It just boils down to I'm just 100% American!! And I do not wish to use anything other. lol Hope our schools don't either.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 02/24/10 - 06:25 pm
dash, if it makes your ego

dash, if it makes your ego feel better to belittle others, then so be it. I will pity you, not retaliate.

Doyougetitnow
Doyougetitnow 02/24/10 - 06:13 pm
There's British spelling,

There's British spelling, there's American spelling. Both are correct. Depending on where you are. I don't spell it colour here & I say zed in Britain. Take, I'm not the greatest on grammar, but reading the post, I have a question. When relating the is/are argument, isn't the "is" applied to the singular? As in, "one" (singular) in eight is?

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 02/24/10 - 06:37 pm
Doyougetitnow, Yes, I think

Doyougetitnow, Yes, I think you are correct also, thanks for reminding me of that. There has been some debate on ones like this. It seems to almost be a matter of where you are putting the main reference, on the one or the Americans or like in my opinion, the reference implied isn't the one American, but the actual stats of 1 in 8, which stats are plural. I guess not really a right or wrong anymore because one could argue both sides. It gets confusing. I also just think it sounds better as is. You can't deny who the news sites have been horrible lately about their spelling though. I'm sure they have spell checks. lol

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 02/24/10 - 06:41 pm
Doyou, I don't know about

Doyou, I don't know about you, but the ones that confuse me the most are now how things have changed, like instead pled guilty, its pleaded, and instead of hung, its hanged. All of a sudden one day, they changed and the others weren't used anymore. lol they are both correct, but you just never see the older ones used anymore.

glassrinkmaker
glassrinkmaker 02/24/10 - 07:06 pm
Weather underground

Weather underground

Disc golf tournament benefits Augusta charity

APPLING — When Paul Childs runs a disc golf tournament, he wants it to mean something for the rest of the community. Childs he found a cause worth supporting: the Ronald McDonald House Charities.