Man charged after children found home alone

Saturday, Feb. 20, 2010 2:24 PM
Last updated 2:26 PM

An Augusta man was arrested Friday on charges of contributing to the deprivation of a minor.

According to a Richmond County sheriff's report, an officer responded to a call early Friday morning that three children were home alone.

The officer went to an apartment in the 2200 block of Rosier Road shortly before 2 a.m. and knocked on the front door. When no one answered, the officer checked the front door and found it unlocked. He entered and identified himself as being with the sheriff's office. When no one responded, he checked and found the children in an upstairs bedroom.

The officer asked the oldest child who was watching them and she said her stepfather. The officer found out that the mother was at work. She came home when she was called and said that she had left the children with the suspect and gone to work.

The Department of Family and Children Services was notified, and the children were turned over to their mother.

Mack Ishamil Godbold, 26, of the Rosier Road address, was arrested on three counts of contributing to the deprivation of a minor.

kathynboys
kathynboys 02/20/10 - 03:35 pm
How old were the kids?

How old were the kids?

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 02/20/10 - 03:49 pm
lol I was going to ask the

lol I was going to ask the same thing.

Taylor B
Taylor B 02/20/10 - 04:13 pm
Me too. Plus, what's the

Me too. Plus, what's the legal limit anyway?

Semibored
Semibored 02/20/10 - 04:36 pm
Where's the real father(s)?

Where's the real father(s)? Who called? And where and what was Mack doing when arrested? Guess Mack didn't like being step-baby-daddy.

lddist
lddist 02/20/10 - 04:49 pm
someone's got some 'splaining

someone's got some 'splaining to do...

gnatman1102
gnatman1102 02/20/10 - 04:57 pm
The minimum age for a child

The minimum age for a child to be home alone is legally mandated in only 4 states. Georgia is one of the 4, and the minimum age is 9 years old. In the remaining states the minimum age is left up to the discretion of the parents. I guess they were less than 9.

Source: Wiki.Answers.com

aureliusdios
aureliusdios 02/20/10 - 05:43 pm
Same old story--she is at

Same old story--she is at work and he is out downtown with his pants on the ground!

smartbrit
smartbrit 02/20/10 - 06:15 pm
Age don't matter. You don't

Age don't matter. You don't leave kids home alone, that's what responsibile parrenthood is all about.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 02/20/10 - 06:34 pm
Responsible parenthood.

Responsible parenthood. Right. Count on it.

ustabe
ustabe 02/20/10 - 06:53 pm
OMG!!!! Is anyone else

OMG!!!! Is anyone else horrified that it's legal to leave a 9-year-old child at home alone?? I wouldn't trust a 12-year-old at 2 a.m. and certainly not with 2 other children involved. I was allowed to babysit at age 15, but only because we lived in a very close-knit neighborhood where there was always an adult nearby. 9 years old?!

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 02/20/10 - 07:08 pm
Age does matter smartbit,

Age does matter smartbit, alot, especially in the punishment phase. 2am though? even at the legal age that's crazy. Obviously it wasn't short run to the corner store.

dani
dani 02/20/10 - 07:32 pm
I'm having a hard time

I'm having a hard time understanding why children would be left in the care of a boyfriend.

Just me 2
Just me 2 02/20/10 - 08:25 pm
Boyfriend probably does not

Boyfriend probably does not even have a job.

r
r 02/20/10 - 09:51 pm
No where did it say boyfriend

No where did it say boyfriend it said stepfather.

corgimom
corgimom 02/21/10 - 07:45 pm
Why wouldn't a mother leave

Why wouldn't a mother leave her children with a stepfather? What is wrong with that? How would you expect the mother to work, if she doesn't leave her children with somebody?

cristinadh
cristinadh 02/21/10 - 09:31 pm
I would never leave my child

I would never leave my child with a stepfather... they are bad news even if they are good people!!

1beachbum
1beachbum 02/22/10 - 05:28 pm
cristinadh, how about a

cristinadh, how about a stepmother? Would it be ok to leave children with a stepmom? I happen to be one of those, and I daresay I'm more of a "mom" than their real mom!