Snow Closings: The list is growing

Friday, Feb. 12, 2010 5:44 AM
Last updated 9:47 PM

We continue to update a list of reported closings  because of  the approaching storm. We're also including information on events that will continue despite the inclement weather.

WHAT'S OPEN

The Millenium Brass Quintet will perform as scheduled at 8 tonight at the Maxwell Performing Arts Theater at Augusta State University, 2500 Walton Way. The performance is part of the Harry Jacobs Chamber Music Society series. They say that the sidewalks will be de-iced, and the auditorium will be comfortable. Pre-concert music by Davidson Fine Arts School ensembles have been canceled, but the quintet will be on hand to meet and greet members of the audience.

WHAT'S NOT

The Fort Gordon Dinner Theatre has called off its production for tonight. They are working to reschedule the production for Thursday.

EVENTS, FACILITIES

Due to the snow forecast for our area, University Health Care System
 has decided to cancel the Heart Attack and Stroke Survivor Dinner
 scheduled for today,

Babypalooza will also be on hold due to the expected winter weather. Safe Kids of East Central, which is led by Medical College of Georgia Hospital and Clinics, announced today it was canceling the event that was to be held at the Doubletree Hotel in Augusta on Saturday. The event will be rescheduled  for March 27.

The Columbia County JROTC Military Ball scheduled for this evening at the Gordon Club at Fort Gordon has been canceled and will be rescheduled for 6:45 p.m. Feb. 19.

Haydens International Gymnastics Center will be closed and all classes are canceled today and Saturday.

The East Central Health District office in Augusta, the Richmond County Health Department, and its south Augusta branch, will all close at noon today due to weather, Health District Director Ketty Gonzalez announced today.

The Kick, Punt & Throw Down Cancer event scheduled for Saturday at Westside High School has been postponed until  Feb. 20. For more information call Zoble Morris at (706) 860-1971.

SCHOOLS CLOSED

Richmond County schools were dismissed early today.

Several Richmond County basketball games that were canceled tonight because of a prediction of snowy weather have been rescheduled for 2 p.m. Saturday.

The games involve the following schools: Glenn Hills High vs. Cross Creek, Josey vs. Westside at Academy of Richmond County, Evans vs. Hephzibah and Grovetown vs. Butler at Glenn Hills High, according to a news release from school system spokesman Louis Svehla.

A game between Academy of Richmond County and Harlem was canceled and isn't being rescheduled.

Meanwhile, a region 3-AAAA qualifier basketball event originally slated for Saturday has been moved to 2 p.m. Monday at Academy of Richmond County. The region 3-AAAA tournament that was supposed to be held Monday also has been moved to 4 p.m. Tuesday at ARC.

OTHER SCHOOLS

Edgefield County schools closed at noon.

McDuffie County schools closed at mid-day.

Jefferson County schools closed for pupils.

Columbia County schools were already closed today.

Aiken County schools dismissed students one hour early. Aiken County public schools are also canceling all athletic and extra-curricular events for this evening.  In addition, all afternoon 4K classes are canceled as well.

Tonight's North Augusta High School basketball games against Aiken High School have been postponed until Saturday afternoon due to the predicted snowfall, North Augusta girls basketball coach Jared Adamson said.

The Region 5-AAAA games will be played Saturday at North Augusta starting with the girls game at 3 p.m.

The University of South Carolina Aiken will begin no activities after 3 p.m. today, to include classes, clinical experiences, meetings, or off-campus groups gathering on campus.   Activities already under way at 3 p.m. may continue until 5 p.m., but participants should be notified of inclement conditions in order for them to make the best assessment of their options for safe travel away from campus.

Aiken Technical College will close at 3 p.m. today.  This evening's basketball game against Brunswick Community College has been canceled.

Check back to augustachronicle.com as more closings are announced

fatboyhog
fatboyhog 02/12/10 - 09:03 am
This story says to check

This story says to check Augusta.com for updates about snow closures. Augusta.com is a Masters (tm) update page.

curly123053
curly123053 02/12/10 - 09:59 am
That is what I thought too

That is what I thought too fatboy !! Maybe it is a typo as usual.

cleanup
cleanup 02/12/10 - 11:13 am
It's a total waste of money

It's a total waste of money and time for RC schools to remain open for four hours, then send everybody home. God, I hope Bedden gets that job in Texas so we can get somebody with a brain and some intestinal fortitude. Nothing will get done today, students will be obsessed with the snow, thinking about nothing but counting the hours (moreso than usual). Dumb, Bedden, just plain dumb. I expect nothing less from you.

disssman
disssman 02/12/10 - 11:19 am
I wonder why it took them so

I wonder why it took them so long to make a decision? Surely they have a policy on severe winter weather operations? I tried to go to RCBOE and RCSS and surprise, surprise, surprise there was no mention of closings. You would think they would have a posting by our high paid mouth piece, but I guess when the boss is out filling up his resume, no one is in charge of keeping the parents (who they complain about all the time) informed as to what is happening. Yeah great planning on someones part, who ever is in charge.

pommom38
pommom38 02/12/10 - 11:52 am
As usual, Georgia totally

As usual, Georgia totally over reacts. Snow doesn't even begin to fall until 3 pm according to weather. Um, the bus's can drive just fine!!

tchnga
tchnga 02/12/10 - 11:57 am
Don't forget Bedden is out of

Don't forget Bedden is out of town this week. He would not have sent the students home. I understand being cautious but serving lunch at 10am is a bit odd. The buses can get through any slush that will be on the roads just fine.

jaymay12
jaymay12 02/12/10 - 12:01 pm
I see why our children are so

I see why our children are so lost....

cleanup
cleanup 02/12/10 - 12:10 pm
Do the whole day, or cancel

Do the whole day, or cancel the day. Half-days are a total waste, all around. Bedden is still responsible, even if he believes he's already escaped to Texas. Typical poor Bedden decision.

jaymay12
jaymay12 02/12/10 - 12:20 pm
I guess the rest of the town

I guess the rest of the town is making poor decisions too?

Mr. Thackeray
Mr. Thackeray 02/12/10 - 12:37 pm
RCBOE & administrators are a

RCBOE & administrators are a joke!

pommom38
pommom38 02/12/10 - 12:38 pm
Most likely Jay. We just got

Most likely Jay.
We just got the call from Aiken that students are being released an hour early. WTH?? It isn't even raining, much less snow.
This is ridiculous! Between the regular days off, then furlough days, now over some snow that won't affect school kids, when exactly are they getting an education?

emergencyfan
emergencyfan 02/12/10 - 12:45 pm
I guess Bedden forgot his

I guess Bedden forgot his crystal ball when he packed for his trip. Seriously people, the WEATHER folks can't tell you for sure what is going to happen and they have a friggin' degree in this field, why do you expect the superintendent to be able predict what is going to happen? If they had closed schools for the day, you'd be complaining about an entire day wasted. If they leave the schools open, then there might be weather problems on bridges and in the outlying areas. Just be happy we have SNOW. It's a novelty for most of us. Try to ENJOY it.

sueboo418
sueboo418 02/12/10 - 12:55 pm
I wouldn't want my child on a

I wouldn't want my child on a bus if the roads are getting bad. People here don't know how to drive in the snow and ice (me included) and go crazy as soon as they see the first few flurries. Maybe not the best decision but better safe than sorry.

pommom38
pommom38 02/12/10 - 12:56 pm
We'll be enjoying it EF, no

We'll be enjoying it EF, no worries there. It is just the ludicricy (soo misspelled) of it all. They get so many days off as it is. Making call's like this, is EXACTLY why the south gets hammered on so much, others think it hilarious at the going overboard in situations like this.

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 02/12/10 - 01:00 pm
There is going to be some

There is going to be some excited kids hitting to doors soon!

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 02/12/10 - 01:08 pm
I agree with you Sueboo, it

I agree with you Sueboo, it is better to be safe than sorry. Buses running from my oldest's high school (Strom) takes two hours one way to arrive. If all goes well the bus would pass by here at 5:20 but we don't know for certain what the weather will be doing at that time. I'm much happier that the school's are opting to side with caution.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 02/12/10 - 02:31 pm
I was in Ohio in late August

I was in Ohio in late August one year. The high was getting up to a sweltering 92 degrees. There were "heat warning advisories" and people were urged to stay inside unless necessary. My wife and I just laughed at the situation. We could hammer the folks in the north about the oppressive 92 degrees just as much as they want to hammer us about a paltry inch of snow. All depends on your perspective. Maybe we just shouldn't hammer each other at all?

MrsAlicia
MrsAlicia 02/12/10 - 06:58 pm
I'm from Iowa. My hometown

I'm from Iowa. My hometown has been buried by repeated blizzards, and have set new records for the number of days (60+) since they've seen the ground. I think you're being overly critical Pommom. I'm not going out tonight either... because people down here really aren't experienced driving in this kind of weather, and no one's prepared. As for snow days - Des Moines, Iowa is considering Saturday school. They've had a record number of snow days - and nobody wants school to go halfway through June. So, while for those of us from places with tons of plows, trucks full of sand and salt, and years of experience driving through slush, ice, and snow aren't too worried... most of us don't begrudge southerners either their excitement or worry. Our kids have come to react the same way. :)

april65
april65 02/12/10 - 09:09 pm
You all are evidently bored,

You all are evidently bored, too...