Thief steals $10,000 ring from mall jewelry store

Wednesday, Feb. 10, 2010 11:57 AM
Last updated 4:41 PM

A thief stole a $10,000 diamond ring from an Augusta Mall jewelry store on Tuesday.

According to a Richmond County Sheriff's report, the man asked a clerk at Kay Jewelers to show him the "most expensive ring in the store."

When the clerk placed it on the counter the man snatched the ring and ran from the store toward Macy's, the report said. Witnesses saw him getting into a red SUV and driving toward Wrightsboro Road. He is described as being a black man in his early 20s, about 6-feet tall and weighing 130 pounds.

Comments (37)

gnumbgnuts
gnumbgnuts 02/10/10 - 01:22 pm

Happy Valentine's Day baby!

Happy Valentine's Day baby! Look what I "got" you.

ustabe
ustabe 02/10/10 - 01:24 pm

I wouldn't count of the

I wouldn't count of the truthfulness of a snatch & run robber. He probabaly stole the Foot Locker uniform as well.

emergencyfan
emergencyfan 02/10/10 - 01:25 pm

LOL, I gotta admire his

LOL, I gotta admire his ingenuity. Um, I mean, stealing is wrong kids. Very, very wrong!

Petey Aitchess
Petey Aitchess 02/10/10 - 01:36 pm

C'mon now, how did the clerk

C'mon now, how did the clerk expect a Foot Locker employee to pay for a $10k ring in the first place......I'm wondering if he puts it in a box before he gives it back to her on Valentine's Day?

gnumbgnuts
gnumbgnuts 02/10/10 - 01:43 pm

"He is described as being a

"He is described as being a black man in his early 20s, about 6-feet tall and weighing 130 pounds. He told the clerk that he worked for Foot Locker in the mall and was wearing the store's uniform at the time of the theft." Cleverly disguised as someone with a job. Brilliant!

themaninthemirror
themaninthemirror 02/10/10 - 02:02 pm

It's very doubtful he could

It's very doubtful he could have afforded the ring on a part time retail workers salary anyway. I worked retail full time and almost starved to death. Not because business wasn't good, I just had a cheap employer. The business is no longer there either.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/10/10 - 02:08 pm

Hope this doesn't come out of

Hope this doesn't come out of the clerk's salary...

Chillen
Chillen 02/10/10 - 02:33 pm

6 feet tall and 130 pounds.

6 feet tall and 130 pounds. He's a bean pole!

dichotomy
dichotomy 02/10/10 - 02:38 pm

Jewelry stores should have a

Jewelry stores should have a handcuff chained to the counter for people who want to fondle the merchandise.

Petey Aitchess
Petey Aitchess 02/10/10 - 02:49 pm

dichotomy - The only place

dichotomy - The only place I've seen that practice used around here is in the "Theraputic Full-body Massage Parlors". Unfortunately, most of those are now closed.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 02/10/10 - 02:57 pm

I am shocked that a store in

I am shocked that a store in the mall has a $10K ring...funny stuff, he was dressed as an employee of footlocker and ran away with the goods.

Brilliant,

Brad

Petey Aitchess
Petey Aitchess 02/10/10 - 03:02 pm

It kinda makes me wonder if I

It kinda makes me wonder if I could borrow a "Somewhere in Augusta" nametag and walk into Windsor Jewelers and ask them to "Show me your best! It's okay, I work right down the road."?

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/10/10 - 03:14 pm

They had some smash & grab at

They had some smash & grab at the mall of ga. last year.. You would think with all of the cameras they could catch these guys..

butler123
butler123 02/10/10 - 03:17 pm

Wow, this is a tough one. I

Wow, this is a tough one. I guess you can't discriminate about who you let look at the jewelry.

RammaJamma
RammaJamma 02/10/10 - 03:30 pm

Wow. Why am I not surprised?

Wow. Why am I not surprised? Btw whoever the clerk is has to be an idiot. If someone asked me for the most expensive ring in the store wouldnt that throw up some red flags.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 02/10/10 - 03:42 pm

Maybe there will be a little

Maybe there will be a little poetic justice and he will get rolled for that ring himself!! haha

J.W.
J.W. 02/10/10 - 04:24 pm

Redistribution of the wealth

Redistribution of the wealth continues. It's the newest stimulus package straight from Washington.

corgimom
19159
corgimom 02/10/10 - 04:27 pm

Ramma, no, that's not

Ramma, no, that's not unusual. Lots of times that means a big sale. Criminals have a certain "image" to uphold.

55 F-100
55 F-100 02/10/10 - 04:46 pm

Check the background of the

Check the background of the employee in order to determine if they may possibly be a co-conspirator in the theft. All jewelry stores should have a "viewing room" with a lockable door, and this would eliminate the opportunity for this "snatch and run" scenario, or employ an off duty armed officer as a security guard and have him/her standing at the door.

dani
dani 02/10/10 - 04:49 pm

Boredom strikes again -

Boredom strikes again - finally...a real live customer.

southernguy08
southernguy08 02/10/10 - 04:58 pm

If this dirtbag is caught,

If this dirtbag is caught, watch him use a PD in court.

RammaJamma
RammaJamma 02/10/10 - 04:59 pm

Sorry but I just dont see

Sorry but I just dont see some everyday joe walking in asking for the most expensive ring and the associate not thinking twice about it

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 02/10/10 - 05:56 pm

I don't either Ramma, but if

I don't either Ramma, but if they hesitate or refuse because they are suspicious that is discrination and everyone is so scared of the lawsuits and publicity, rightfully so, over accusations like that. These PC and bleeding hearta are making it impossible to protect yourself in these situations, I mean they have even put a damper on when, where and how an officer can check out suspicious acting people calling it "racial profiling" rather than suspicious criminal behavior. Everyone has to walk on pins and needles not to offend a few rather than stop a majority of criminals. Then when those suspicious people commit the crime, people want to ask why the victim even let them put their hands on the merchandise, or why when the police saw them lurking around before the crime why they didn't do anything. It's sickening.

corgimom
19159
corgimom 02/10/10 - 06:04 pm

Ramma, take a long look

Ramma, take a long look around the Mall. Really wealthy people don't buy jewelry from the Mall. They are there to sell to the middle class and poor. Yes, the "average Joe" is exactly who shops there.

jlhs32
jlhs32 02/10/10 - 06:29 pm

10K retail @ Kay's means it's

10K retail @ Kay's means it's worth about 1800$.

bettyboop
bettyboop 02/10/10 - 07:56 pm

Sorry ..but if a clerk at the

Sorry ..but if a clerk at the mall had acess to a 10,ooo.oo ring then the clerk is responsible...sounds like an "inside job" to me........ lol jhs not even that much..whats really going to be funny when the crook tries to sell it he will find out what it's really worth...........

my.voice
my.voice 02/10/10 - 08:34 pm

Hint to employee......next

Hint to employee......next time you get that sort of hint, DONT.

cristinadh
cristinadh 02/10/10 - 09:38 pm

product of richmond county

product of richmond county school system

Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 02/10/10 - 10:19 pm

Maybe the clerk was afraid

Maybe the clerk was afraid the guy in the referee suit would throw a penalty flag if they didn't show the ring?

Dixieman
Dixieman 02/10/10 - 10:37 pm

$10,000 ring at Kay Jewelers?

$10,000 ring at Kay Jewelers? Didn't know they made cubic zirconia that big...

Regents approve tuition hikes

DAHLONEGA, Ga. - Tuition is going up for Georgia students at all 31 state colleges and universities under a budget plan approved Tuesday by the state Board of Regents, including the largest ...