Slight chance of snow showers late Friday

The Augusta area has a slight chance of snow showers starting late Friday night and into early Saturday morning, according to a forecast from the National Weather Service.

Augusta has a 20 percent chance of snow showers, said meteorologist Gregory Lamberty of the National Weather Service in West Columbia, S.C. If snow falls, it likely wouldn't accumulate to more than two-tenths of an inch, he said.

"It's a very low probability now," Lamberty added.

This winter has been particularly cold so far, with average temperatures in February so far hitting 3.4 degrees below the average of 43.1 degrees in Augusta, Lamberty said.

Temperatures in January averaged 41.7 degrees, or 3.1 degrees below the normal average.

The National Weather Service forecast continues to predict colder temperatures. The service's outlook for February, March and April predicts between a 33 percent and 40 percent chance of below normal temperatures, Lamberty said.

The same odds exist for above average precipitation in the area because of El Nino. The rain's cloud coverage hasn't helped temperatures, Lamberty said.

"The circulation across the northern hemisphere has expanded out," he said. "The polar forces are stronger than they usually are, so that allows some colder air to come down here."

themaninthemirror
themaninthemirror 02/10/10 - 11:26 am
Will there be any school?

Will there be any school?

Back to story
Back to story 02/10/10 - 12:06 pm
Is this where I lodge a

Is this where I lodge a complaint about global warming? All this 'warmth' is about to freeze me to death!

pommom38
pommom38 02/10/10 - 12:21 pm
Seeing it says *late friday

Seeing it says *late friday afternoon*, No there will be no school.
Ya'll need to get over the global warming crap already. Just because certain areas experience colder than usual temps, (HELLO, El Nino pattern!!)doesn't mean there isn't global warming.
Why was this article even printed?? 20% chance?? Won't stick?? Please find newsworthy stuff to print AC. This really doesn't become you..

emergencyfan
emergencyfan 02/10/10 - 01:17 pm
Pom, don't rain on my parade.

Pom, don't rain on my parade. :-)

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 02/10/10 - 04:36 pm
Were I a global warming

Were I a global warming advocate seeing temperatures falling below average I'd probably feel angry and defensive also, not to mention embarrassed. I'd also probably tell the newspaper that their story isn't newsworthy...... ;-)

pommom38
pommom38 02/10/10 - 05:00 pm
LOL EF. Sorry:( Rollin, what

LOL EF. Sorry:(
Rollin, what on earth are you babbling about? Whose on here being an advocate? Surely you don't mean me, because i couldn't care less whether there is or isn't any taking place. Everytime there is an article related to weather, here come the global warming comments. Nuff said.
And thank you for agreeing that this article was a complete waste of space. Nothing in it was even worth mentioning.

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 02/10/10 - 06:59 pm
Sorry Pom, I thought that

Sorry Pom, I thought that your 11:21 post where you made a definitive statement as to the cause of 'global warming' indicated you as having an interest and opinion regarding the propaganda. For some reason it caused me to think that the post had some purpose to it. My mistake.

Back to story
Back to story 02/10/10 - 06:48 pm
How very strange that my

How very strange that my little joke caused such an intense reaction. Even stranger is a person who believes that this article is a "complete waste of space" should waste their time by returning to it a second time.

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 02/10/10 - 10:47 pm
Back to story, I have a

Back to story, I have a photograph that you'll like to see taken of a group gathering at a restaurant a couple summers back. It has several of my friends in it and I think that you know at least one of them. Send me your new address please.

Arraignment coming Tuesday in Irish Travelers case
A total of 22 people - 20 identified as Travelers and two from Augusta - face racketeering charges under the federal Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act.