Gasoline mistakenly put in kerosene pump

Tuesday, Feb. 9, 2010 8:40 PM
Last updated Wednesday, Feb. 10, 2010 9:55 AM
  • Follow Latest News

A thousand gallons of gasoline was mistakenly put into the kerosene pump at Pumpkin Center near Harlem early Sunday morning, Columbia County Emergency Services Director Pam Tucker said in an e-mail tonight. 

Fire crews are making sure the kerosene pump is locked down so it can't be used, but some customers have already pumped from the tank, believing the product to be kerosene.   

It is believed that three customers pumped a total of nine gallons, Tucker said.  One of those customers discovered that it was gasoline and notified the store, which notified authorities.  The customer had pumped four gallons, leaving five gallons unaccounted for. 

"Every effort is being made to locate those two customers, including call-outs in that area, looking at store video, etc.," Tucker said. 

Anyone who pumped from the kerosene tank should not use it, she said. If gasoline is used in kerosene heaters, an explosion will likely occur.

Comments (8) Add comment
ADVISORY: Users are solely responsible for opinions they post here and for following agreed-upon rules of civility. Posts and comments do not reflect the views of this site. Posts and comments are automatically checked for inappropriate language, but readers might find some comments offensive or inaccurate. If you believe a comment violates our rules, click the "Flag as offensive" link below the comment.
justus4
97
Points
justus4 02/10/10 - 03:20 am
0
0
Where is the accountability?
Unpublished

Where is the accountability? What Director of what Division of Safety failed in such a dangerous manner and not have his/her name associated with this story? This is poor journalism and fails to inform the public about matters of safety and who is responsible. Get those details!

Petey Aitchess
0
Points
Petey Aitchess 02/10/10 - 04:27 am
0
0
It looks to me like Ms Tucker

It looks to me like Ms Tucker and her agency are are doing all they can other than making the deliveries to the gas stations themselves. I'm sure the truck driver who did it is facing some justice (and looking fo a new job). Is that the guy/gal you were worried about getting away scot-free? Since Mr Oxendine's name is on the sticker on every gas dispensing device, maybe we can get him too, huh? You've lost your touch, the comments aren't even creative any longer.

gnumbgnuts
0
Points
gnumbgnuts 02/10/10 - 08:11 am
0
0
This is a job for.......

This is a job for.......

themaninthemirror
0
Points
themaninthemirror 02/10/10 - 09:30 am
0
0
This is a very serious

This is a very serious situation. Let's hope no one is injured because of it. The liabilities here are tremendous.

emergencyfan
0
Points
emergencyfan 02/10/10 - 09:46 am
0
0
Justus, details are lacking

Justus, details are lacking because the purpose of this article was not to inform the public of who is responsible. It is to try and notify the two people who bought gas by mistake before they use it. Duh.

TrukinRanger
1748
Points
TrukinRanger 02/10/10 - 10:02 am
0
0
Though it was a terrible
Unpublished

Though it was a terrible mistake... it sounds like they are trying their best to locate/inform those affected. Hopefully they'll get it done and nothing horrible happens from this.

Newsreader
11
Points
Newsreader 02/10/10 - 11:40 am
0
0
If everyone (including Me

If everyone (including Me from this point on) ignored Justus4, would he just dry up and blow away?

workedforit
0
Points
workedforit 02/10/10 - 11:57 am
0
0
Newsreader, one would hope
Unpublished

Newsreader, one would hope so. I did not know they allowed internet in the mental wards.

pommom38
1496
Points
pommom38 02/10/10 - 12:41 pm
0
0
Yes news, he would hopefully

Yes news, he would hopefully give up. BUT.. That will NEVER happen, because no matter what he posts, someone ALWAYS has to answer back to it. Like a disease or something..
I pray they find the other people quickly!!

HHSgrad
7
Points
HHSgrad 02/10/10 - 12:42 pm
0
0
Pam Tucker is doing all that

Pam Tucker is doing all that she can to find the 2 people that purchased the other 5 gallons. I live in this area and got a phone call last night from Columbia County Emergency Services alerting us of the error and the possibility of an explosion and the request to contact the CC Sheriff's Dept if we had purchased any kerosene from this location. I was very glad to have gotten this call, although I believe the calls only come into landline phones, but not exactly positive on that. It is on the news and the radio as well hoping these people will get the message before using the gas. I hope for all involved, these people can be located rather quickly.

Riverman1
78435
Points
Riverman1 02/10/10 - 12:57 pm
0
0
I'm glad to see Pam Tucker,

I'm glad to see Pam Tucker, Director of Emergency Services, being proactive and trying to contact those who bought the gas. Maybe we can stop them before they try to use it. If not let's hope they sense something is wrong with the "kerosene." Good thinking, Pam. :)

Back to Top

Top headlines

Vogtle workforce hits 4,200

About 4,200 workers are employed at the Plant Vogtle expansion project where the first two reactors built in the U.S. in more than three decades are rising from the red clay.
Loading...