Toyota lunges into school wall

Saturday, Feb. 6, 2010 7:43 PM
Last updated 8:21 PM

A Toyota vehicle ran into an outer wall of C.H. Terrell Academy on Friday, apparently after the car's accelerator stuck, the school's principal said.

Damage to the private school, in the 2200 block of Broad Street, was minor, Principal Rebecca Dent said today. The car hit benches outside the building and the wall. A bookshelf on the inner wall of the building was knocked down by the impact.

The school had dismissed early, and the incident happened after noon Friday as a parent was picking up her child, Dent said.

She declined to name the parent but said that the car was a newer-model Toyota and that she believed it had been purchased recently. She did not know exactly which Toyota model it was.

Several Toyota models have been subject to a recall since last month because of reports of sticking accelerators.

"It was like (the car) was being controlled by a robot or something," Dent said. "That thing accelerated and just went right into the wall."

She said the school was lucky that students were not in the classroom and that no one was injured.
"If the benches weren't there and the walls weren't as sturdy, it would have gone right through," Dent said.

Taylor B
Taylor B 02/06/10 - 09:48 pm
The irony is their slogan now

The irony is their slogan now is "Moving Forward"

kenworth
kenworth 02/06/10 - 09:53 pm
hmmm maybe this is why we

hmmm maybe this is why we should buy american vehicles. it would also help our hometown workers.

chucktoons
chucktoons 02/06/10 - 10:19 pm
I think the only cars with

I think the only cars with the problem are the ones with the throttle part made in the US. The others are not a problem.

Taylor B
Taylor B 02/06/10 - 10:23 pm
Ken, most japanese cars are

Ken, most japanese cars are built here, while many US cars are built in canada/mexico (crown vic, cobalt, etc). This is a fluke in toyotas parts suplliers design ( a US company, by the way). In the auto industry, stuff happens. I work for a German auto manufacturer, and we have recalls worse than this going on right now. Need I bring up the Pinto, Cimmaron, or mid eighties chevy 1500, or crown vic gas tank explosions? Dodge caravan rear hatch popping open during collisions? Ford Explorer aerobatics with a tire blowout? I can go on, but why start listening to reason now?

corgimom
corgimom 02/06/10 - 10:29 pm
"Moving Forward" whether you

"Moving Forward" whether you want to or not. The ones made in Japan are fine, the ones made in America are not. And then people wonder why all the jobs are moving overseas. I now call my car "The Deathtrap"

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/06/10 - 10:36 pm
I thought the ones made in

I thought the ones made in Japan used the same accelerator part as the ones made in the U.S.?

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/06/10 - 10:54 pm
Companies are international

Companies are international these days. I bought a 60 in TV from a store in Augusta West last summer because it had a good brand name and I thought it was Korean made. I'm having problems with it now and had to check on the back to get the numbers before calling the company. Guess what it said? "Made in Mexico." I'm not saying that's a deal breaker, but it did make me wonder.

gargoyle
gargoyle 02/07/10 - 12:11 am
Riverman you got it ( a

Riverman you got it ( a Toyota pun done badly ) Corgie and Chucktoons check what you state has fact ... I got to see one take off with the hood up sitting still and still don't know why or how it did what it did ... The acelerator was in the idle position (how I know is that is the first part that was grabbed to try to shut that sucker down )... Changed the position sensor reset the computer and has far as I know it never did it again ????

cristinadh
cristinadh 02/07/10 - 12:13 am
something wrong with this

something wrong with this story..

mieshel
mieshel 02/07/10 - 12:34 am
Why drive the car when

Why drive the car when recalls are all over television?

Petey Aitchess
Petey Aitchess 02/07/10 - 02:05 am
Look on the bright side, if

Look on the bright side, if you own a Toyota and get caught for speeding, or get into a wreck for doing something stupid, you have an instant defense for court. "The accelerator stuck"

RAWR
RAWR 02/07/10 - 02:39 am
This smells fishy.

This smells fishy.

NEone
NEone 02/07/10 - 04:06 am
Mieshel: Maybe it's their

Mieshel: Maybe it's their only mode of transportation? And maybe they hope it won't happen to them?

anotherlook
anotherlook 02/08/10 - 09:53 am
You know , I would not want

You know , I would not want to besmirch the reputation of the US autoworkers. After WWII, when we were helping Japan rebuild its economy, it used to be that the label "made in Japan" meant junk. Also I can remember many years ago when I worked at a factory in quality control. I always imagined that if I let a deficient part through, that somewhere down the line it would fail and leave a woman and her kids stranded in the dark on a rainy night or worse. Because of this concern, I would slow everything down. This didn't please my employers at all! So you see, sometime its not the people, it's the process.

Former commissioner's case remains under review

While former Augusta commissioner Donnie Smith's statements to Georgia State Patrol investigators likely can't be used against him, the state Office of the Inspector General continues to conduct ...