KKK denied permit for south Georgia rally

Saturday, Feb. 6, 2010 12:51 PM
Last updated 12:53 PM

A south Georgia town has denied a Ku Klux Klan group's request to use the City Hall parking lot for a rally to raise public awareness on sex offenders, illegal immigration and prayer in school.

Grand Dragon Gregg Wolf of the Knight Riders, Knights of the Ku Klux Klan, went before the Nahunta City Council on Monday seeking a permit to hold the rally from noon until 2 p.m.  Feb. 20, at the parking lot.

City Attorney James Kelly Brooks said he informed Wolf on Friday that Nahunta was denying the group's request.

"You're talking about a place that has not been a public forum," Brooks said of the small parking lot facing U.S. Highway 301.

Brooks also told Georgia The Times-Union newspaper the city had no alternative meeting place to offer.

"The city doesn't have a piece of property, a park or tract, that has been deemed a place for this type of activity," Brooks said.

Wolf said he would consult with the Knight Riders' lawyer, but regardless of what Nahunta or the Brantley County Commission decides, KKK members will be in Nahunta Feb. 20.

The County Commission had already turned down the request, because roof construction and other renovations at the courthouse would make the grounds unusable, Chairman Ronald Ham said.

"We offered [Wolf] three alternate locations, all county recreational facilities, but he said, 'No,' they wanted the [courthouse] backdrop," Ham said.

The group must apply for a county permit if it wants to use a different location, or if it changes the date it wants to use the courthouse. The county will need "at least a couple of weeks" advance notice, Ham said, so it can arrange to have proper security in place.

"The constitution allows the right to free speech and peaceful assembly, but I would appreciate it if the group would have the courtesy of working with us," Ham said.

The rally, however, already has been announced on the group's Web site.

"It's only two hours," Wolf said of the planned rally. "We're going to be there. We're not asking to parade down the street. We just want to speak on the problems we're having in this country."

Asked why the group had chosen Brantley County for the rally, Wolf said, "Because of the percentage of the population."

He said Brantley County is predominantly white and should be a perfect place to speak on the continuing problems with illegal immigration.

Any appeal of the denial would likely have to undertaken in court, Jacobs said.

Wolf said a notice of the rally has gone out to Knight Riders organizations in other states and it will go forward.

"People all the way from Mississippi, Texas and Oklahoma are going to be here," he said.

The group needs only the corner of a lot for speakers to air their views, Wolf said.

Wolf, who lives in Blakely, said the Knight Riders have state organizations in Illinois, Tennessee, Georgia, Arkansas and Missouri.

"This is the first time in my time here that we've had the Klan or other group ask to do this here," Jacobs said.

In spite of Wolf's assurances the organization is not violent, some residents said they fear the rally would incite violence.

"We don't need that kind of trouble here," said Jude Conrad of Nahunta. "If the KKK comes, then the people against them will come and the only thing that will come out of that is a big mess."

Contact terry.dickson@jacksonville.com, (912) 264-0405 or teresa.stepzinski@jacksonville.com, (912) 264-0405

glassrinkmaker
glassrinkmaker 02/06/10 - 01:43 pm
Under the constitution, they

Under the constitution, they have the right of free speech and lawful assembly, just like anyother organization. They should be able to hold their rally on any PUBLIC owned property!

Boogaloo
Boogaloo 02/06/10 - 02:18 pm
I know this area pretty well

I know this area pretty well and I say let them have the rally in Lulaton which is a spot near the railroad tracks about halfway between Hoboken and Nahunta. Or maybe Hortense, Homerville or Shlatterville. I wonder if they will wear their sheets? I also wonder what the "two other things" would consist of?

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/06/10 - 04:01 pm
Now really AC,, is this a

Now really AC,, is this a test to see how the rators work with an article that stirs the sheep, or bunnies ...

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 02/06/10 - 06:49 pm
lol Not much of a test when

lol Not much of a test when the commentors don't show up huh. lol I see no reason not to allow them to protest their causes, they are citizens too. As long as there are no sheet or things of that nature and no hate signs or anything like and they stick to the legitimate topics. If they don't shut it down and make arrests if need be. I see no reason not to give them their time. But as they say, the reason they don't want to is becuase of the opposition, they are almost positive will come out and turn it into something unpeaceful. And they are right. so even though legally there should be no reason to stop them, unruly citizens who can't be peaceful even though the topics are legit. I too wonder what the 2 secret ones are, they should have to disclose them before hand to make sure they are contracting for a legitimate protest. I'm guessing the other 2 may be gay marriage, abortion, and possibly reverse discrimination or like the prevnetion of some all white things. Something touchy, thats why they aren't disclosing it. Someone will shut it down whethere those are legitimate or not.

dstewartsr
20393
dstewartsr 02/06/10 - 06:51 pm
Great reason to deny a

Great reason to deny a permit: We do not allow peaceful demonstrations at which their opposition will commit violence. Who said that first, Bull Conners?

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/06/10 - 08:01 pm
Remember that old news film

Remember that old news film of thousands of KKK marching in Washington? This little group failing to get a permit to rally in a small Georgia town shows you how America has changed. Do they have a right to rally? Probably. I wouldn’t even be surprised to see the ACLU defend them since they are always looking for kooks to help these days.

augustadog
augustadog 02/06/10 - 08:22 pm
Nahunta ????? I had to go to

Nahunta ?????
I had to go to Mapquest to find it. I'm sure a lot of folks (NOT) would show up for this. As a member of Sons of Confederate Veterans its good to see States Rights in action. Makes sense to turn fools like this down. Better yet, let these clowns meet at the City Dump where they belong.
White Trash..........

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 02/06/10 - 08:41 pm
Great way to put it

Great way to put it dstewartsr. Again. lol Would have saved me a lot of typing. I guess I'm not as good with words. lol

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 02/06/10 - 08:54 pm
Whether or not you like

Whether or not you like klansmen, they are citizens and they have the same rights as you and I. Would you not serve them in your place of business if they came in not dressed in their kkk attire with their families? Of course not, that is discrimination. You would also serve a street gang member if he wasn't causing a disturbance even though I'm sure you don't care for them either. You don't think most of them are racist? They just don't make it their main gang image, but they kill and rob for racism also, they just don't limit their violence the one race. Some of the kkk members are non violent, can't say that for street gang members, it is a requirement. We have to give waste of flesh criminals rights who do not deserve it who have murdered and tortured others, non violent haters should get their rights as US citizens also.

SouthernPride
SouthernPride 02/06/10 - 10:03 pm
The Klan has a right to free

The Klan has a right to free speech to just like everyone else. The NAACP showed up at my door step preaching their propaganda two weeks ago. I asked them if they had a permit to be on my property (9mm in hand). They looked stunned and told me the first amendment protected them for free speech. I told them to sit tight and went back in the house. When I came out I said here’s a piece of my mind. Those fools want be come’n round my way again.

KnightHawk
KnightHawk 02/07/10 - 01:03 am
I would like to say that as a

I would like to say that as a member of The Knight Riders, I thank those of you who have an open mind about us coming to Nahunta February 20th. Our First ammendment states that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." We come in peace and we are not a violent group as you some see sitting on your couch watching the Springer show on Television.We have every right to be there and we will do so on the 20th. Please come and join us and listen to what we have to say. If it were another group of people that have racial issues, or any other issues, they would have no problem getting a permit. We are speaking on many topics and they are not racial. We are not coming with hate in our hearts or violence on our minds , we are coming to speak on pedophiles, child molesters, illegal immigration . I am a mother of two beautiful children and I am speaking out for mothers that are not aware of the pedophiles in their area and could be living next door to them.I think it is time for more people to stand up for what they believe in...get off your buts and speak up.And yes, We will be in our robes not sheets. Get ready Nahunta ...Here we come.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 02/07/10 - 01:56 am
I can support your rights to

I can support your rights to protest about these important issues. I guess maybe you have the right to wear your robes also, but in my opinion, that is inciting, a not so warm welcome and just the presence of those robes will drown out your true message and turn otherwise supports of your issues away with a bad taste in their mouth. I just think the robes are NOT necessary to get your message across. Though you may have the right, I don't think its the smartest move and your messages will fall on deaf ears. Right or wrong those outfits I think will hinder your cause. T shirts wouldn't be all that great either, but not as bad. Just my personal opinion, especially knowing just your presence may incite others to possibel violence, those outfits will almost guarantee it and when it does, you may have a few people you hate locked up, but then you will be marked with a history and have even more troubles getting permits in other places or getting citizens on board with your causes. Why not try to make this as painless as possible to show how peaceful your demonstartions may be, especially when they aren't race issues, save your robes for those demonstrations. Then more places will be more welcoming, people will open their ears more rather than close their eyes and cringe at what you are wearing. Obviously you want to help do a good thing, why not keep those race issues seperate for the good of the causes you claim to be wanting to address on the 20th? I know its not fair to deny you your right to demonstrate just because your opposition is violent and has no self control, but I think there is a compromise. For the safety of all, don't incite the animals to become violent through clothes, take the high road for the cause, its not giving in and if the losers still get out of control then I'm wrong and wear what you want from then on! lol Just a thought.

jlynch2
jlynch2 02/07/10 - 02:19 am
"Wolf told council members

"Wolf told council members the rally would be against pedophiles, child molesters, illegal immigration and "two other things," which he did not specify, Mayor Ronnie Jacobs said Friday."
Shouldnt they have to specify? Just askin...

1941
1941 02/07/10 - 06:37 am
2010, and we are still

2010, and we are still talking about the KKK, what do that say about america??

dstewartsr
20393
dstewartsr 02/07/10 - 08:55 am
I fail to see your point,

I fail to see your point, 1941. We have members of the Weather Underground; cop-killers and bombers, as well as Black Panthers, ditto, who are still in 2010 preaching their hate filled views of America, only from well paid tenured university positions. So, you object to the KKK ... why? Because they're ... white?

KnightHawk
KnightHawk 02/07/10 - 11:36 pm
Your right dstewartsr.....I

Your right dstewartsr.....I was traveling through a small town yesterday and saw the NAACP meeting on the steps of a courthouse...What's the true issue here? If our robes and what we have to say offends you then don't go to the rally.We will not be wearing our hoods.The robes are our uniform just like when a judge wears his robe and a police officer is in his uniform.We are there to conduct business just like anyone else.

glassrinkmaker
glassrinkmaker 02/07/10 - 04:14 pm
About the same thing the

About the same thing the naacp or black panthers says about america. it's called freedom of speech and freedom to assemble. It applies to everyone, not just the ones you would like to have those freedoms!

redneckgal247
redneckgal247 02/07/10 - 11:33 pm
I welcome the Ku Klux Klan to

I welcome the Ku Klux Klan to Rally in Nahunta Ga.
I look forward to hearing what they have to say.
It is their right to speak and it is our right to choose if we want to come hear what they have to say or if we want to stay away!
I choose to go listen.
I saw a flyer from the group that said exactly what i have been thinking. It said....
Are you tired of illegals taking your jobs?
Are you tired of no prayer in schools?
Are you tired and want to know who are the sexual offenders in your neighborhood?
YES! I am tired of all these things and yes i want to know more about what i can do.
And YES i am a Proud WHITE american.
It is my right to attend this rally and i will.

dominionfs
dominionfs 02/08/10 - 08:49 am
City Attorney James Kelly

How much ya wanna bet the local politicians have often used the backdrop of the courthouse as a public forum?

KnightHawk
KnightHawk 02/08/10 - 04:00 pm
****UPDATE**** WE WILL BE IN

****UPDATE**** WE WILL BE IN Schlatterville, GA APROX 15 MILES OUTSIDE OF NAHUNTA,GA...HOPE TO SEE YOU THERE...12PM-2PM

devgru1
devgru1 02/08/10 - 05:20 pm
I don't support all of their

I don't support all of their agenda, but believe they have the right just as any other American does. I hope the ACLU does take up their cause in court.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 02/08/10 - 05:45 pm
I never have, and I never

I never have, and I never will support any organization that preaches hate, while using the Holy Bible as a basis of their foundation. The mandates of Almighty God are not hate, or segretation, but love for every human on earth. The right of assembly and demonstration may be your only way to spread evil, but thankfully, most intelligent people recognize hate and evil for what it is.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 02/08/10 - 05:50 pm
Hey, Nighthawk, why don't you

Hey, Nighthawk, why don't you and redneckgal247 put up photos of yourselves?

cristinadh
cristinadh 02/08/10 - 06:24 pm
this is a test of the

this is a test of the emergency broadcast system.. if this would have been a real emergency you would have information..

KnightHawk
KnightHawk 02/08/10 - 08:50 pm
Hi Sargbaby...If you want to

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 02/08/10 - 10:24 pm
Knighthawk sez; "Hi

Knighthawk sez; "Hi Sargbaby...If you want to see faces come see us on the 20th..Oh and where's your face on here?
________________________________________

You're late! I had it on from the git-go, but decided to show my old unit from Vietnam. Check back a few pages, it's still there. As for you invitation, thanks, but no thanks. My comment sticks! You can't preach hate, holding a Bible. When you folks learn that, if you ever do, you'll understand that God's offer is open to ALL, not just caucasians.

Why don't you folks use your evergy to find those Al Queda camps down there, (near where you're holding your ralley) and run em back to Iran, or Iraq? The state of Georgia just might think you're civic minded.....not!

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 02/08/10 - 10:40 pm
Well, Knighthawk, I tried to

Well, Knighthawk, I tried to get it on there, but the edit function isn't working. You want to see me, look at my profile. That's me two months ago. Being a retired Army Platoon Seargeant, I don't take kindly to stalkers, just so you know!

KnightHawk
KnightHawk 02/08/10 - 11:23 pm
Stalker....lol...no worries

Stalker....lol...no worries there..your not my type

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 02/09/10 - 08:52 pm
Funny boy! You and your crew

Funny boy! You and your crew aren't my type either. The first clue to me, that you only read parts of the Bible, is you web page. You can't possibly understand the Bible if you don't know how to spell simple words. It's sad that ignorance breeds ignorance, and the klan proves that point every day!

KnightHawk
KnightHawk 02/09/10 - 09:33 pm
Sargbaby...I'm a lady not a

Sargbaby...I'm a lady not a boy...but if you don't like me or my comments on here don't reply...and I didn't find where my spelling of simple word were wrong, but it's ok because you understood and replied.