Davis wins state Senate District 22 runoff

Rainier Ehrhardt/Staff
Hardie Davis, center, is flanked by his mother, DeLois B. Davis, left, and his wife, Evett, as he acknowledges supporters after winning the state senator seat for District 22 at Fat Man's on the River.
Tuesday, Feb. 2, 2010 8:55 PM
Last updated 9:58 PM

With all 51 precincts reporting, Hardie Davis has won the state Senate District 22 race with 55.5 percent of the vote.

Davis had 5,801 votes to Harold Jones II's 4,655.

Nat the Cat
Nat the Cat 02/02/10 - 09:07 pm
Way to go Hardie....Let's see

Way to go Hardie....Let's see if you can work with Sims now to change the Charter so that Augusta has a "Working Government."

BuckeyeInGA
BuckeyeInGA 02/02/10 - 10:07 pm
Congrats Hardie! Now go do

Congrats Hardie! Now go do us proud!

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/02/10 - 10:15 pm
There seems to be a new

There seems to be a new concerted conservative effort in Augusta turning out the vote. Bad weather days are particularly beneficial to this enterprise. The election of Aitken was the first shot fired, but it won’t be the last. It’s going to be interesting to see the other side regroup and how they will counter.

FedupwithAUG
FedupwithAUG 02/02/10 - 10:15 pm
There goes abortions in GA?.

There goes abortions in GA?. Hey maybe Hardie wil adopt a bunch of them instead of all the unwanted mothers having babies and not taking care of them.

Kramer
Kramer 02/02/10 - 10:23 pm
I have known Hardy Davis and

I have known Hardy Davis and his family for years. He is a fine man. I am proud of him for his honesty and his integrity. He cannot tell a lie. I really like that about him. People from all walks of life can approach Hardy and he will listen. That is a great feature of his style.

Kramer
Kramer 02/02/10 - 10:25 pm
What in the world does Hardy

What in the world does Hardy Davis have to do with abortions in Georgia? I don't get that. I think they need more preachers in Atlanta and a few less lawyers. God knows we will all benefit.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/02/10 - 10:27 pm
I know Davis and Jones both

I know Davis and Jones both ran as Democrats, but 2012, with Obama leading the Democratic ticket, is going to be interesting locally. He is going to pull a lot of black voters to the polls.

veritas14
veritas14 02/02/10 - 10:33 pm
Kramer- While I agree

Kramer- While I agree wholeheartedly with the 'less lawyers' opinion, I am not too sure about the 'more preachers' part.

willie7
willie7 02/02/10 - 10:37 pm
We did it. We beat the old

We did it. We beat the old school group.
Congrats Senator Davis. We are looking forward to better days
with our delegation. I wonder how Reps. Howard, Murphy and Frazier will recognize Davis , since they endorsed Jones.

Dixieman
19030
Dixieman 02/02/10 - 10:40 pm
Change the charter is

Change the charter is priority #1

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/02/10 - 10:50 pm
If the charter were changed

If the charter were changed to provide a more powerful mayor, I wonder if there may come a time when that would be considered a mistake? Know what I mean?

FREEDOM_SPEECH
FREEDOM_SPEECH 02/02/10 - 10:51 pm
Congrats to Senator Davis!!!

Congrats to Senator Davis!!! God is for you , The people are for you !! You Did it !!! We are rejoicing with you and your family tonight as you celebrate this VICTORY !!! People of this CSRA , Senator Davis will represent us well ..(no doubt) .."He's The Man" for this Job!!!

CaptainAwesome
CaptainAwesome 02/02/10 - 11:18 pm
My favorite part is that he's

My favorite part is that he's an Engineer!

Also, the fact that no big decisions get made has kept us sinking ourselves in too much debt. But I really do think Augusta's government is getting better all around.

BetanInyoe
BetanInyoe 02/02/10 - 11:47 pm
Riverman @10:27pm, I do not

Riverman @10:27pm, I do not believe Obama will be the Democratic candidate in 2012. Hillary is setting him up. I don't know what impact she will have on the local races.

Junket831
Junket831 02/03/10 - 12:03 am
Congratulations Senator

Congratulations Senator Davis!! You ran an excellent race and will serve the Augusta area well.