Bill would impose $75 fine for blocking the fast lane

ATLANTA -- Riding in the fast lane could bring a fine for drivers who block the flow of traffic under legislation introduced today.

Bill 1047 by Rep. Mark Butler, R-Carrollton, would impose a $75 fine for slowpokes.
The law already makes it illegal to block traffic in the left lane for motorists who refuse to move "once such person knows or should reasonably know that he or she is being overtaken in such lane from the rear." But there are exceptions for when conditions require a slower speed for safety, making a left turn and driving the speed limit.
Butler's bill would only add the fine. It still would not require someone driving the maximum speed to pull asside for someone who is speeding.
If passed, it would take effect July 1, in time for the informal start of the summer driving season centered on Independence Day.

egan01
egan01 02/02/10 - 11:56 am
I will support his bill if he

I will support his bill if he will add a $200.00 fine for the idiots who get on my bumper and blinks hi lights when I am running over the posted limit.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 02/02/10 - 12:15 pm
egan, you are describing

egan, you are describing aggressive driving and I agree. How about it Atlanta, can we get some aggressive driver laws passed?

schi3440
schi3440 02/02/10 - 12:59 pm
I love it when I'm using

I love it when I'm using cruise control..I pull to the left to pass someone and they decide to speed up. So then we drive side-by-side till one of us blinks. Pick a speed and stick with it, and stay in the right hand lane unless you're passing someone!

MadSnapper
MadSnapper 02/02/10 - 01:43 pm
In the UK it is against the

In the UK it is against the law to be in the fast lane on the motorways unless you are passing another vehicle. Thats the simple way it should be. Road rage should be legal in cases of people who insist on driving in the fast lane and against people who take more than half a mile to perform a pass.

Taylor B
Taylor B 02/02/10 - 02:02 pm
Yes, we have to keep those

Yes, we have to keep those super speeders unobstructed so we can get them for $200. The over regulation is getting silly!

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 02/02/10 - 03:16 pm
With you, MadSnapper. Just

With you, MadSnapper. Just speed up some to pass and then move over. It's really none of you business if some of you fellow travelers want to speed. Don't create a mess because you want to control other people like a jerk. If somebody is doing something dangerous, call the highway patrol and give them the info.

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 02/03/10 - 09:30 am
This is a waste of time.

This is a waste of time. Most of the people that they are referring to are going the speed limit IN the left lane. Just because someone else wants to speed does not make this bill worth the time spent trying to get it passed. Most people going UNDER the speed limit stay out of the way anyway. It's the speeders that are causing more problems.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 02/03/10 - 10:16 am
Recently on a trip up I 75 a

Recently on a trip up I 75 a gentleman of dubious distinction traveled 5 mph below the speed limit in the left lane.. When I approached behind him he slowed to 10 below the speed limit. Each time I attempted to pass him using the center lane he increased his speed to block myself and other traffic. *GSP is a wonderful thing and the look on his face was priceless when we all moved over and allowed the GSP car to pull him over and cite him. No, it's not always the speeders who cause the problems!

Sargebaby_x
Sargebaby_x 02/03/10 - 01:52 pm
Good for you, Peanuts!

Good for you, Peanuts!

Sargebaby_x
Sargebaby_x 02/03/10 - 01:57 pm
TrunkinRanger sez; "Most of

TrunkinRanger sez; "Most of the people that they are referring to are going the speed limit IN the left lane. Just because someone else wants to speed does not make this bill worth the time spent trying to get it passed."
__________________________________

Right on, right on, spot on! This is an argument that like race issues, will never be solved. I believe if a person is in the left lane doing the speed limit, there should be no requirement to make them change lanes.

SRS shipments halted until 2016

Savannah River Site can't resume shipments of Cold War nuclear waste materials to an underground repository in New Mexico until at least 2016 when the federal government reopens the facility to ...