6 students, parent arrested in Josey fight

Thursday, Jan. 28, 2010 3:40 PM
Last updated 5:06 PM

Six students and a parent have been arrested following a fight this afternoon at Josey High School.

Richmond County school safety Lt. Richard Roundtree said the fight started at about 1:15 p.m. near the school's lunchroom when two girls confronted one another. He said four other female students jumped into the fight, and a mother of one of the girls who was present at the time also joined in.

He said all of the students were at least 17 years old and are being booked at the Richmond County jail. He said the mother, who also is headed to jail, had checked in with the school's front office but wandered off to where the students were.

As for the mother's involvement, he said, "They (students) emulate the behavior they see."

robelenj
robelenj 01/28/10 - 04:48 pm
And we wonder why the kids

And we wonder why the kids act the way they do sometimes??? Go figure!!!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/28/10 - 04:49 pm
What more can be said that

What more can be said that already has been said. Just plain sad!

Notreally
Notreally 01/28/10 - 04:49 pm
A mess, Josey is going to end

A mess, Josey is going to end up CLOSED.

dani
dani 01/28/10 - 04:59 pm
Not sad - BAD!

Not sad - BAD!

pommom38
pommom38 01/28/10 - 05:06 pm
Can't wait to see all the

Can't wait to see all the comments on this one!!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/28/10 - 05:18 pm
One thing we can say for sure

One thing we can say for sure what everybody has been yelling for, there is a beginning of parental support in the school.

notsurprised
notsurprised 01/28/10 - 05:18 pm
Would love to comment on this

Would love to comment on this one but I know for sure my comments will be pulled by the agc. So, I will keep them to myself but I feel sure most of you know exactly what I am thinking!

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 01/28/10 - 05:19 pm
My child would be completely

My child would be completely mortified if her mother ever did something remotely like this. She'd probably never go back to her high school afterward. But I guess it's no surprise that so many people "raising" children today never really grew into adults themselves, and it sure isn't confined to Josey parents. I've seen just as stupid behavior at Westside. You won't see it at Aquinas, Augusta Prep, Curtis or Augusta Christian however, and it has absolutely nothing to do with money. It's a result of what will be tolerated and what absolutely will not. If the public schools actually required maturity from students and parents, that's what would occur. We all know whom to thank that they no longer do.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/28/10 - 05:24 pm
Remember everybody, we all

Remember everybody, we all have to live by the rules that our government put into place, "No Child or Parent left behind"

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 01/28/10 - 05:30 pm
Coming to the James Brown

Coming to the James Brown Arena this Saturday night and Saturday night only the student body and selected parents of Josey High School in a one of a kind "free for all" All proceeds will go to the benefit of those students and parents who choose not to attend. Trasportation from JB Arena to 401 Walton Way will be provided by RCSO.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/28/10 - 05:37 pm
One question, If this mother

One question, If this mother was not authorized to be there, then why was she?. Speaks a lot about how will the school officials control their students when they can't even control one adult (Assuming she is an adult).

RichmondCountyResident1
RichmondCountyResident1 01/28/10 - 07:11 pm
How can the child know better

How can the child know better when their mother couldn't even follow the schools rules to sign in? They should make an example out of her and all the fighter should be expelled for a couple of weeks. Then sent to an alternative school. RCBOE, needs to get tough on this kind of foolishness. If they don't want to learn , KICK THEM OUT!!!!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/28/10 - 05:52 pm
RCR, I can't believe you said

RCR, I can't believe you said all that with common sense. I applaud you!

Jillian
Jillian 01/28/10 - 06:16 pm
I agree children act exactly

I agree children act exactly how they see adult's act....but also it did say the mother signed in at the office as required. It in no wise condones her insane behavior, but she did have a right to be there if I read the article correctly.

scott-hudson
scott-hudson 01/28/10 - 06:17 pm
This coming the same day

This coming the same day Judge Allen slapped a 60 day jail sentence on 9 of the TW Josey brawlers from 1/6...we know what the kids here can expect, and the mother? Well, we'll see when SHE stands before the judge.

KSL
KSL 01/28/10 - 06:22 pm
RCR, how come you are using a

RCR, how come you are using a different name?

KSL
KSL 01/28/10 - 06:23 pm
I don't see any of the

I don't see any of the comments you have made previously, RCR.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 01/28/10 - 06:24 pm
Well, you figure the mom is

Well, you figure the mom is probably only about 12 years older than her daughter, so there's not really much of a gap in maturity there. What an embarassing circumstance for not only that particular family, but for the good people at Josey who fight hard not to propagate this sort of stereotype.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/28/10 - 06:25 pm
Jillian, The article stated

Jillian, The article stated "not authorized" and nothing about signing in before 5:06. AC updated at that time.

Anna2008
Anna2008 01/28/10 - 06:25 pm
We do not need videos or

We do not need videos or cameras. We need discipline. We need control and give back the authority the school system has lost. We need to teach with discipline and if the parents do not agree they need to keep their darlings at home. I believe that the schools are just to keep them busy until mom or dad gets off from work. Students have no respect for the adults nowdays because there is no parenting. Kids having kids...We need to spend some money to protect and teach the kids not to give a raise to Dr. Bedden.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/28/10 - 06:28 pm
He said the mother, who also

He said the mother, who also is headed to jail, had checked in with the school's front office but wandered off to where the students were. (This is all that was changed)

55 F-100
55 F-100 01/28/10 - 06:38 pm
Why wasn't the mother's

Why wasn't the mother's identity revealed? Maybe because she has a criminal history which could be significant? The students could care less if they go to jail and then bond out............just establishes their "street cred", and so it goes.

lifelongresidient
lifelongresidient 01/28/10 - 06:41 pm
well here we go again....now

well here we go again....now were are all of the defenders and their weak arguments that "it happens every where"???? what you have is systematic of the area around the school...this is a direct result of a lack of parental involvement, except in cases of fighting or direct or indirect threats/assaults on the teachers and/or other authority figures within the school. i agree that school should be closed but unfortunately it will not, josey, like augusta's public housing will continue to be a drain on society's resources. millions upon millions of dollars are poured into the school and the projects that surround with little if any positive return on the investment...the projects breed crime and drugs whild the school consistantly fails to meet ayp, poor test scores, low graduation rates and it either currently or has been under state direction due to the schools continued lack of progress under no child left behind...so until there are responsible and unselfish members elected to the school board, that school and all other under/non-performing schools will continue to remain open because here in richmond county education is not a priority, the main goal is to maintain attendance rates in order to continue to receive state/fed funding and building athletic venues for schools that consistantly fail to meet ayp or graduate more thatn 50-60% of its senior class on a regular basis..and most of those who do graduate probably can't read the diploma they are given

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/28/10 - 06:48 pm
lifelongresidient, You have

lifelongresidient, You have my respect for that non-PC accurate, factual post.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/28/10 - 06:48 pm
lifelongresidient, You have

lifelongresidient, You have my respect for that non-PC accurate, factual post.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/28/10 - 06:50 pm
We still have bugs, Sean.

We still have bugs, Sean.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 01/28/10 - 07:08 pm
Yes, and I think some of the

Yes, and I think some of the bugs are carrying sledge hammers. If anyone sees something not working on the site please send me an email so I can add it to the list. Hopefully the vast majority of little problems will be ironed out by early next week.
Thanks for posting and play nice everybody.

RichmondCountyResident1
RichmondCountyResident1 01/28/10 - 07:10 pm
Cobalt George, most of what I

Cobalt George, most of what I say makes plenty of sense to me.KSL, I didn't add the 1, the Chronicle did. Thomson , common sense is not a partisan issue. I am a stauch Democrat and support my president.He is doing a good job inspite the opposition. But, what I stated is common sense. They should pay dearly.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 10/19/12 - 08:25 am

bettyboop
bettyboop 01/28/10 - 08:24 pm
It all boils down to the

It all boils down to the family...you can spend millions on the schools but if the PARENTS are not involved then you have just wasted millions......is it PC to state that most of these problems happen within the AA community?? OH!! pardon me the 800 pound gorilla has again squatted in the middle of the room....(sigh) RCR..Your president is part of the problem................lol the img code is gone...bummer

Morning wreck slows traffic

Expect delays at Peach Orchard Road near Bobby Jones Expressway after a wreck involving an 18-wheeler.