Woods accepts blame but cancels another meeting with police

WINDERMERE, Fla. — Tiger Woods canceled yet another meeting with state troopers and posted a statement on his Web site that said the accident was his fault, but he did not address lingering questions about the crash that sent him to a hospital.

The statement was posted about an hour before state troopers were to meet with the world's No. 1 golfer at his home inside the gates of Isleworth. A meeting was not rescheduled.

In a tape of a 911 call released today, two days after the accident, a neighbor told dispatchers that a black Cadillac Escalade hit a tree and "I have someone down in front of my house."

Woods' neighbor never mentions the golfer by name, and the call is inaudible at several points because of the bad connection.

"I came out here just to see what was going on," the neighbor, who was not identified, told dispatchers. "I see him, and he's laying down."

One woman is heard in the background yelling, "What happened?"

"This situation is my fault, and it's obviously embarrassing to my family and me," Woods said. "I'm human and I'm not perfect. I will certainly make sure this doesn't happen again."

Woods said it was a private matter, and he wanted to keep it that way.

"Although I understand there is curiosity, the many false, unfounded and malicious rumors that are currently circulating about my family and me are irresponsible," he said.

Windermere Police Chief Daniel Saylor has said Woods' wife, Elin Nordegren, used a golf club to smash out a rear window to help him get out of the SUV when she heard the crash from inside their home at 2:25 a.m. Friday.

"The only person responsible for the accident is me," Woods said. "My wife, Elin, acted courageously when she saw I was hurt and in trouble. She was the first person to help me. Any other assertion is absolutely false."

Sgt. Kim Montes of the Florida Highway Patrol said Woods' attorney, Mark Nejame, informed the patrol that Woods would not be meeting with troopers Sunday afternoon.

"It has not been rescheduled," Montes said. "He's not required by law to give us a statement, and we'll move forward with our investigation without it."

Police first tried to interview Woods on Friday, but his wife asked if they could return the next day because he was sleeping.

As they headed to Woods' $2.4 million house inside the gates of Isleworth on Saturday afternoon, highway patrol dispatch put through a phone call to troopers from Woods' agent, informing them that Woods and his wife would be unavailable to talk until today.

The National Enquirer published a story last week alleging that Woods had been seeing a New York nightclub hostess and that they recently were together in Melbourne, where Woods competed in the Australian Masters.

The woman, Rachel Uchitel, denied having an affair with Woods when contacted by The Associated Press.

Los Angeles attorney Gloria Allred confirmed she was representing Uchitel when she was reached by the AP on Sunday.

"She is with me in L.A.," Allred said later in an e-mail to the AP. "We plan to meet and then we'll decide on the next step, which we do not plan to announce to the press."

Uchitel arrived at Los Angeles International Airport late this morning and was met by Allred and escorted out of the baggage claim area and into a black car. Uchitel did not speak to reporters except to ask that she be left alone.

Woods is to play host to his Chevron World Challenge this week in Thousand Oaks, Calif. The tournament benefits his foundation. Woods' news conference had been scheduled for Tuesday afternoon, although it was not clear if he would still play, or even attend.

More

Savannah River Site resumes normal activity

A suspicious item was discovered Wednesday afternoon at the Savannah River National Laboratory which prompted emergency responseactivities.

... Read more