No one injured in Harlem house fire

A computer is most likely to blame for a fire that damaged a Harlem residence this afternoon, officials said.


The fire began at about 2 p.m. at a two-story brick home in the 100 block of Wells Drive inside Harlem city limits, said Scott Johnson, a volunteer firefighter with the Harlem Department of Public Safety.

Mr. Johnson said it appears as if the fire started in the home’s upstairs office. The family, including two small children, was inside the residence when the blaze began, he said. No one was injured.

“It looked like a computer caught on fire,” he said. “A computer was on fire when one of the parents got upstairs.”

The fire was called in by the homeowners, who tried to put out the fire, but failed and vacated the home.

“We had a truck on the scene within a couple of minutes,” said Mr. Johnson, adding that Martinez-Columbia Fire Rescue firefighters assisted in extinguishing the fire.

Fire damage was contained to the upstairs portion of the home, with heavy smoke and water damage in the downstairs area, Mr. Johnson said. The family is making arrangements to stay elsewhere, he said.



Savannah River Site resumes normal activity

A suspicious item was discovered Wednesday afternoon at the Savannah River National Laboratory which prompted emergency responseactivities.

... Read more