Deliveryman leads authorities to Ga. rape victim

SEVIERVILLE, Tenn. - An alert deliveryman spotted a woman tied up inside a remote cabin in Tennessee's Smoky Mountains while dropping off a pizza, and police said his call to police helped rescue the kidnapping and rape victim.


Sevier County deputies freed the 24-year-old woman Tuesday evening after getting an emergency call from deliveryman Chris Turner. They arrested David J. Jansen, 46, of Snellville, Ga., on charges of aggravated kidnapping and rape, Sheriff Ron Seals said.

The woman told authorities she was jogging near her home about 11:50 a.m. Tuesday when Jansen, whom she knew, asked her to see his new car. She got into the vehicle, which turned out to be a rental.

She told police she was tied up, driven more than 200 miles to the cabin in Tennessee and raped. Later, the suspect ordered takeout. The Associated Press does not identify alleged victims of sexual assault.

Turner said he pulled up to the cabin with the pizza around 8 p.m.

"When I knocked on the door and handed the guy my credit card slip to get him to sign it, there happened to be a young lady (who) popped over the back of the couch and showed me that her hands were bound together," Turner told WBIR-TV. "(She) was mouthing to me, 'Please call 911.'"

The deliveryman returned to his van, wrote down the suspect's tag number and called police from a neighbor's house.

Deputies arrived, found the victim tied up on the couch and arrested Jansen. They took the woman to a hospital.

"We feel like she was in very imminent danger based on what investigators saw and evidence found at the scene," Capt. Jeff McCarter told The Mountain Press newspaper. McCarter didn't immediately return calls from The Associated Press.

Jansen was being held on $800,000 bond. Phone calls to a listing for a 46-year-old David J. Jansen in Snellville were not returned Friday.

Turner said the victim and her husband came by the pizza shop the day after the abduction. "She just wanted me to know she was OK and everything," he said. "And that they were thankful for what I did and all that."



Savannah River Site resumes normal activity

A suspicious item was discovered Wednesday afternoon at the Savannah River National Laboratory which prompted emergency responseactivities.

... Read more