Fire kills North Augusta man

A housefire killed an 82-year-old North Augusta man Tuesday night.

James Thorpe of 3 Linnet Loop was caught in a fire while he was sleeping in his home around 8 p.m., said North Augusta Public Safety Capt. Charles Williams.

Mr. Thorpe’s space heater apparently made contact with something in the home, Capt. Williams said. He was taken to the Joseph M. Still Burn Center at Doctors Hospital, suffering first- and second-degree burns.

He was pronounced dead at the burn center, authorities said.

Mr. Thorpe was the first fire fatality in Aiken County in 2009, Coroner Tim Carlton said.



Savannah River Site resumes normal activity

A suspicious item was discovered Wednesday afternoon at the Savannah River National Laboratory which prompted emergency responseactivities.

... Read more