No one was hurt this morning when North Columbia Elementary School in Appling was evacuated after an oven caught fire.
The fire broke out shortly before noon during the lunch period.
“One of our ovens had an electrical problem, causing a small amount of sparks and smoke that was contained inside the oven itself,” said Principal Kay Sanders. “As a precaution, we pulled the alarm and had the fire department check it out.”
The building was evacuated while Martinez-Columbia Fire Rescue firefighters used fans to clear smoke from the kitchen.
The oven was disconnected and regular school operations, including lunch, resumed after about half an hour, she said.