High School Sports

More News | The BlitzContact Editor

Wolfpack comeback shocks Warriors

acvid:2333

Jahvon Hardrick saw the hole open up and knew he was end zone-bound.

Greenbrier's Ricky Wiebe (right) is tackled by Jason Hulse. The Wolfpack rallied for the win.   Jim Blaylock/Staff
Jim Blaylock/Staff

"Once I saw that hole, I had to hit it," the junior said. "My fullback, my line cleared it out for me. After I broke that one tackle, I knew I was out of there."

Hardrick's run capped off a ferocious Greenbrier comeback, as the visiting Wolfpack stormed to a 20-16 victory over Grovetown in Friday's season-opener for both teams.

"We played sloppy in the first half," said Greenbrier coach Brian Smith, who cited the team's penalties -- 13 for 110 yards -- as one cause. "We came out the second half, we talked to our guys, and we just knew we were determined to win."

The Warriors took the lead less than four minutes in, as quarterback Xavier Crain bolted 40 yards for the game's first score.

Grovetown extended the advantage to 10-0 after a Corey Stone field goal in the second quarter. Crain made it 16-0 on a 7-yard run a minute into the fourth quarter.

That's when Greenbrier's plan of abandoning an ineffective run game started to pay dividends.

Senior quarterback Scott Reeder led the charge, finishing 13 for 23 for 128 yards.

His 14-yard touchdown strike to Will Price brought the Wolfpack within 10 with nine minutes to go.

About fout minutes later, Trey Lawhorn took a swing pass from a scrambling Reeder and ran 40 yards for a touchdown.

Hardrick completed the scoring minutes later.

Crain was the Warriors' offensive leader on the night, carrying 18 times for 91 yards.

He also completed a pair of passes for 35 yards and threw an interception.

Grovetown coach Rodney Holder said he expected nothing less from a rivalry game.

"Guys are everywhere, and they're battling to get back in the game," Holder said of the players' competitiveness on opening night. "I tip my cap to them. They made a few big plays on us at the end to give them a chance to win, and they pulled it out."

Greenbrier 20, Grovetown 16

PLAY OF THE GAME: With the Wolfpack trailing by 3 with less than 3 minutes remaining, Jahvon Hardrick scampered 24 yards for the winning touchdown.

STAR OF THE GAME: Greenbrier's Scott Reeder led the comeback, completing eight of 12 passes in the second half. He finished the night 13 for 23 for 128 yards.

WHY GREENBRIER WON: The Wolfpack ditched an ineffective run game and went to the pass.

WHY GROVETOWN LOST: In the first half, the Warriors loaded up the box and stopped the run, but the Wolfpack passing game took over in the fourth quarter.

NEXT: Grovetown at Evans, Sept. 3; Greenbrier vs. Richmond Academy, Sept. 3.

Stat Wrapup

Passing Yards12835
Comp.-Att.-Int.13-23-02-11-1
Fumbles-Lost1-12-1
Punts-Yards5-33.24-31.2
Penalties-Yards13-11011-85

INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS

RUSHING--Greenbrier: Jahvon Hardrick 16-80, Trey Lawhorn 4-2, Scott Reeder 3-(-24). Grovetown: Crain 18-91, Travon Biggers 2-(-3), D.J. Tyson 10-16, Jamal Cummings 5-14, Devin Coursey 2-5.

PASSING--Greenbrier: Scott Reeder 13-23-0 128. Grovetown: Xavier Crain 2-11-1 35.

RECEIVING--Greenbrier: Ricky Wiebe 2-11, Sean Morris 3-25, Lawhorn 4-48, Hardrick 3-30, Will Price 1-14. Grovetown: Biggers 2-35.

blacklion1001
blacklion1001 08/21/10 - 10:11 am
Wow, what a way to end the

Wow, what a way to end the evening. Congratulations to the Greenbrier Players and Fans' for not giving up. Winning like we did last night always brings home the feeling of being validated for the hard work one puts in. Calling all Wolpack Fans to come out next week vs ARC. The Pack is Back!

imwatching
imwatching 08/21/10 - 11:21 am
Congrats to Greenbrier, of

Congrats to Greenbrier, of course having a QB that can not complete a 7 yard completion to a wide open reciever in the end zone helps. Great QB's are not one dimensional Mr. Holder. Kicking IS part of the game, no matter how much you wish to deny it (find one). Players going both ways MUST stay hydrated, it was obvious Grovetown was on fumes in the 4th quarter, they were tired, cramping and moving slow. A very good game, but one that should have had a different outcome.

anthonylcrn
anthonylcrn 08/21/10 - 02:08 pm
Imwatching, first of all the

Imwatching, first of all the pass was tipped therefore u have no idea what u r talking about. I can give u my phone number if u want and feel free to call or meet with me. Don't hide behind your comments. I am Ceain and I am a soldier. We know why we lost and it wasn't due to the pass in question. Have you ever played the game? Just asking. Don't hide please don't. let's talk football.

anthonylcrn
anthonylcrn 08/21/10 - 02:14 pm
Just to let you know, I am

Just to let you know, I am watching you.

anthonylcrn
anthonylcrn 08/21/10 - 02:31 pm
I am Crain and I'm a Soldier.

I am Crain and I'm a Soldier.

CocknFire23
CocknFire23 08/21/10 - 04:09 pm
The Pack is back? Makes no

The Pack is back? Makes no sense seeing how they have never been good. Dont expect it to be any different this year either. They barely beat a Grovetown team that is still not established and only in there 2nd year of football. That Grovetown team will be lucky to get 3 wins this season. They have one playmaker, Xavier Crain, that plays both ways. By the time the 4th Qtr rolls around he is wore out. They will not go anywhere playing like that. Greenbrier will be lucky to get 3 wins this season as well. ARC is a pretty good team and I do believe Greenbrier is going to get stomped pretty good. Evans lost a lot of playmakers and I still believe that Greenbrier wont stand a chance against them. The depth on Greenbriers team is pathetic. I guess after so many seasons osing, nobody wants to put the time and effort in to play for them just to get beat. They have no speed, and no talent at all. Matter of fact, there isnt one more game left on Greenbriers schedule that I see as a win.

imwatching
imwatching 08/21/10 - 05:15 pm
hey Crain, the pass ur

hey Crain, the pass ur talking about was tipped BUT that was the one in the second half. In the first half the man was wide open and the pass hit the ground a good 4 yards in front. If you want to meet thats no problem, I am glad ur a soldier, whats that mean? and yes I did play the game apparently because ur a soldier you know football since the Warriors represent you...is that it? Your comments sound like an obvious observation offended your military bearing, I think they may need a little more grease.Bt the way watch the game film and you will see what I stated earlier about the pass...go on ..ask for a copy, they will give u one., then maybe instead of watching me, you might watch something you obviously missed. Just a guess but, I am betting observation is not your MOS.

imwatching
imwatching 08/21/10 - 05:20 pm
Oh, I just made the

Oh, I just made the connection...you are the QB's daddy! Daddy your son is going to get a lot more criticism before he gets old and grey, lets hope he handles it better than his daddy does! He has talent, no doubt..he just needs to work a little more on passing or move into the running back position, its no big deal..don't take it so personally.

anthonylcrn
anthonylcrn 08/22/10 - 07:57 am
Yes I am his FATHER and I

Yes I am his FATHER and I would like to meet you. Nothing personal but we really should meet. Saturday 28 August 2010. I will contact you.

ugabulldogs828
ugabulldogs828 08/22/10 - 02:47 pm
I think it is discerning when

I think it is discerning when we read comments such as the ones above because the reality of team sports is maintaining the integrity and not bickering over losses and wins. Watching the game I would say both teams have potential for this season and let's just say this as parents that our kids need support in their efforts. Greenbrier executed plays in the 4th quarter that worked and regardless of how tired one might be towards the end of the game, Grovetown's football team is well twice the size of Greenbrier's so how do you think the Greenbrier players felt? I have to give credit to the efforts of the Greenbrier team and Coaches because it was an exciting game to watch from start to finish.

anthonylcrn
anthonylcrn 08/22/10 - 06:12 pm
ugabulldogs828, your

ugabulldogs828, your absolutely right. i love the game. lets talk football.