Your best bet to make a hole-in-one in the area these days is at Midland Valley Country Club.
After a slow spring and summer of aces, the Graniteville course suddenly had a handful of them in late August and early September.
There must have been something in the air from Aug. 26-Sept. 3 at the Ellis Maples-designed course.
Five aces were recorded, four of them on successive days.
"It's hole-in-one city around here," head pro Brooks Blackburn said.
Blackburn hasn't seen anything like this in his 8 1/2 years at the club.
"Sometimes, we see it where we get one or two at a time, but to have that many, I don't know what's going on," he said.
He jokingly asked golf course superintendent Rusty Flanders whether he was setting pins that funnel toward the hole.
The streak started with Jayne Becker's ace Aug. 26 on No. 8.
On Aug. 27, Belton Robinson aced the 13th hole.
On Aug. 28, Nancy Prendergast also aced No. 8.
On Aug. 29, Bob Przybysz had an ace on the 17th hole.
Four days after that, Dan Santucci made an ace on No. 17.
Blackburn would like to take some credit for the aces by Becker and Prendergast.
Becker's came with a TaylorMade demo 6-iron from the Midland Valley pro shop that she was trying out.
And Prendergast's ace came after she had her clubs regripped by assistant pro Brent Burris.
"We regripped her clubs on Wednesday and she made an ace on Thursday ... beautiful," Blackburn said.
Reach David Westin at (706) 724-0851 or email@example.com.
- Peggy Boykin, No. 16. Witness: Bill Boykin.
- Joe Deskevich, No. 5. Witnesses: Tina Kim Johanna and Tim Blue.
- Paul Pecoraro, No. 5. Witnesses: Bob Podewils, John Andrews and Mickey Finn.
- Bill Steinle, No. 5. Witness: Bob VanBuren.
- Peter Schwarz, No. 5. Witnesses: Ray Naramore, Bob Kistler and Bernie McCarthy.
Aiken Golf Club
- Robert Justice, No. 4, pitching wedge. Witnesses: Rodney Whitley, Herb Demarc and Mark Mamo.
- Greg Riley, No. 4, 140 yards, 7-iron. Witnesses: Tom Ritt, Tony Maxted and Len Brown.
- Bob Ritter, No. 16, 7-iron. Witnesses: Richard Page, Vinny Mansfield and Bernie Warren.
- Roger Folk, No. 18, 7-wood. Witnesses: Ron Still, Doug Kennedy and Hitt Arnold.
- Jennie Mechanic, No. 15, 104 yards, 8-iron.
- Marty Mazurski, No. 12, 125 yards, 8-iron.
- Bill McCullough, No. 15, 148 yards, 7-wood.
- Bruce Leinster, No. 3, 193 yards, 5-wood.
- Sandy King, No. 15, Cupp Course, 160 yard, 6-iron.
- Don Moyer, No. 15, Cupp Course, 187 yards, 4-iron.
- Albert Peters, No. 15, Jones Course, 187 yards.
- Larry Mercer, No. 4, Cupp Course, 141 yards.
Midland Valley Country Club
- Ken Lamberth, No. 13, 171 yards. Witnesses: Bobby Courtney, Wayne Myer and Michael Bowman.
- Paul Wilk, No. 6, 171 yards, 7-wood. Witnesses: Mike Miniaci and Gary Lamb.
- Milton Burroughs Sr., No. 6, 137 yards, 7-iron. Witnesses: Milton Burroughs Jr., David and John Christian Whyte.
Mount Vintage Plantation
- John Nikander, No. 8, Independent nine, 134 yards, 9-iron. Witnesses: Bob Weaver and Wayne Buckhalt.
- Paula Ford, No. 2, Vintage nine, 101 yards, hybrid 6. Witnesses: Mary Beth Smith, Marilyn Morguson and Patricia Godfrey.
- Tom Wenger, No. 6, Vintage nine, 157 yards, 6-iron. Witnesses: Bob Bishop, Steve Harris and Jim Norris.
North Augusta CC
- Randy Lamb, No. 6, 163 yards, 9-iron. Witnesses: J.D. Davis, Jim Hayward, Wade Commings and Wayne Boyd.
- Marty Jackson, No. 2, 145 yards, 7-iron. Witness: Ron Perry.
- Grice Keel, No. 16.
- Gary Cooper, No. 16.
River Golf Club
- Jason Eades, No. 4, pitching wedge.
Persimmon Hill Golf Club
- Frank Bethea, No. 3.
- Brian Tuttle, No. 8, Azalea nine. Witness: Mark Tatusko.
Palmetto Golf Club
- Craig Jarvis, No. 7.
A listing of holes-in-ones from Georgia courses over the summer is scheduled to run Sept. 17.
REPORTING AN ACE
To be included in the periodic listing of aces, golfers are asked to report their hole-in-one to the pro shop of the course they are playing so it can be verified by The Augusta Chronicle. The information should include: the hole aced, yardage, club used and witnesses. If a course will not take the information or for out-of-town aces, e-mail staff writer David Westin at firstname.lastname@example.org.