Glascock woman feared man charged in her death

THOMSON -- The Glascock County, Ga., woman who was shot and then dragged more than a mile Thursday night had previously sought protection against the man being held in her death, according to court documents.


Court records show that in June 2009, Jennifer Lynn Wells, as she was known then, obtained a temporary protective order against Ricky Charles Wells while her divorce petition was pending. The couple had a son, who is now 5, according to records, and Jennifer Wells had a daughter, who is now 11.

In her petition, Jennifer Wells wrote that Ricky Wells had left harassing messages on her cellphone. She wrote that he followed her to her home and elsewhere, and stopped in front of her home and raced his motor, frightening the children.

"I have heard Ricky state that he needed to shoot ex-wife," she wrote in her petition.

Ricky Wells, 43, of Hobbs Mill Road, near Dearing, and Tina Ann Wells, 40, of Davis Circle in Boneville, remain in the McDuffie County jail charged in Jennifer Wells' slaying.

Ricky Wells and Tina Wells are not related.

Local police agencies and the Georgia Bureau of Investigation have offered few details related to the crime, which has stunned the community. Jennifer Wells' body was recovered about five miles west of the Happy Valley Store south of Thomson, where the shooting occurred.

In her 2009 petition, Jennifer Wells claimed that Ricky Wells had three misdemeanor violence charges in the five years leading up to her request for protection.

"I fear he will try to take (the son) and leave town," she wrote. She also wrote that he had said he would quit paying child support.

The divorce became final July 10, 2009. That decree ordered Ricky Wells to pay $500 a month in child support.

Curtis Funeral Home in Thomson will handle services for Jennifer Wells. A funeral home spokesman said Monday that arrangements cannot be made until at least Wednesday. The GBI conducted an autopsy Saturday but has not disclosed its findings.

Also Monday, Warren County Coroner Paul Lowe said that although it "does appear that she was first shot and then dragged," he could not confirm whether she had died before being dragged.

"This is a very complex case, not just cut and dried, and we're having to work around some issues," Lowe said.

Staff Writer Kelsey Stein contributed to this article.