Late-night crash kills 8-year-old girl

Saturday, Sept. 11, 2010 1:45 PM
Last updated 6:14 PM

Authorities say alcohol was a factor in an Aiken County crash that resulted in the death of an 8-year-old girl.

The child, Cassidy Heath of Williston, S.C., was one of seven people riding in a Ford F-150 driven by her father, Kenneth Heath, 35, also of Williston, according to the Aiken County coroner.

He was driving toward Williston at approximately 10:25 p.m. Friday when he failed to stop at the intersection of Hwy 302 and Hwy 4, authorities said.

His vehicle struck a Ford Expedition, driven by Theresa Dennis.

According to a report, authorities believe Cassidy Heath was not wearing a seat belt and was ejected from the pickup truck.

Dennis and three children suffered only minor injuries.

According to the police report, Kenneth Heath suffered moderate injuries, as did right front passenger, Michelle McNeal. A passenger sitting in the left rear of the truck, Jordan Steverson, suffered severe injuries. Three others in the Heath vehicle had minor injuries.

Police said two people from the Heath vehicle were taken by helicopter to Medical College of Georgia hospital. Conditions at the hospital aren't known.

This is the 19th fatal crash in Aiken County in 2010.

happychimer
happychimer 09/11/10 - 02:14 pm
wrdw gives more details. None

wrdw gives more details. None of the 7 in the truck were wearing seatbelts, and that driver had been drinking. The expedition passengers had no serious injuries, and were wearing seatbelts.

curly123053
curly123053 09/11/10 - 02:15 pm
We need to keep these folks

We need to keep these folks in our prayers, but once again alcohol and no seatbelts contributes to killing and maiming people. Another media(Ch 12) reports nobody in the Ford 150 were wearing seatbelts and several of them were ejected onto the roadway. The occupants of the Explorer were seatbelted and none received serious injuries. I hate it when people have to learn the hard way as in losing a child like this. I have seen this to many times working EMS and never got used to it. People never learn it seems. If an irresponsible adult wants to drive drunk and not wear his seatbelt, at least make sure your kids have their belt on so they will have a chance of surviving when you mess up.

Taylor B
Taylor B 09/11/10 - 04:40 pm
Seat belts save lives. I had

Seat belts save lives. I had an accident one time (lost my brakes, hit a building) when I didn't have a shoulder belt in my 61 beetle. Still have a nice little scar from that non-padded dash on my head. I'm building a baja bug for my youngest child (he's 11 now) and it will have 4 point harnesses. We live (sometimes) and we learn...

lovethebeach45
lovethebeach45 09/11/10 - 05:11 pm
seems to me , most people

seems to me , most people dont think it going to ever happen to them, you better think again, now this familys life is going to be tough ,

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 09/11/10 - 05:57 pm
Poor child! A parent that

Poor child! A parent that doesn't have their children saferly secured in the vehicle and is alcohol/drug impaired should be summarilly shot on the spot.

curly123053
curly123053 09/11/10 - 05:59 pm
Lovethebeach45, you do not

Lovethebeach45, you do not know how many times I heard people say they did not think it would happen to them when working EMS. Some think that they drive safe and do not need to wear restraints, but it does not matter how safe you drive we n eed to protect ourselves from the impaired and distracted drivers out there.

Quack Quack Quack
Quack Quack Quack 09/11/10 - 07:03 pm
rmwhitley My heart & prayers

rmwhitley

My heart & prayers go out to this family. I also pray that all injured will recover. I'm sure that this father will live every day hating himself for his stupidity for the rest of his life. Maybe worse than your idea.

redapples
redapples 09/12/10 - 07:17 am
For this father to live every

For this father to live every day regretting his decision and the death of his own child still does not bring the child back. The time to think about the consequences of our actions is BEFORE the result occurs! I'm tired our the community being so forgiving for alcohol related deaths and claiming the grief the perpetrators live with is such a horrible fate. Well, no, that is NOT enough! Yes, their judgment will come, but there is still a cost in innocent life. People, BE RESPONSIBLE!