Columbia County is halfway (after first reading) toward approval of new rules that would require at least 45 days notice for any races that require streets to be blocked, and will charge fees for the race organizers to pay for it. It also will require those organizers to carry pretty hefty liability insurance policies, too.
All that is likely to mean some charity races that run on a shoestring (don’t they all?) will have to seek other alternatives, including running on park trails or at Savannah Rapids.
Final approval is expected May 21.
Meanwhile, plenty of races are set for this week and beyond:
• Action Ministries’ Walk for Others 5K will be held in downtown Augusta, starting at 303 Hale St., at 7:30 a.m. Saturday, May 11. Call (706) 722-8195 for information.
• The annual Buzzard Blast 5K will be held at 8 a.m. Saturday, May 11, starting at the Jefferson Hospital in Louisville, Ga. Go to www.buzzardblast.com, or register at http://www.active.com/running/louisville-ga/buzzard-blast-5k-and-fun-run-2013
• The VA2K, a national event benefiting homeless veterans, will be held at all Veterans Administration locations Wednesday, May 15. Contact Sheri Loflin at email@example.com
• A Jamaica youth mission trip fundraiser for Kiokee Baptist Church, the Jamaica’n Me Run 5K, will be held at Savannah Rapids at 8:30 a.m. May 18. Register at http://www.active.com/running/martinez-ga/jamaican-me-run-5k-run-walk-2013
• The second annual Armed Forces Day 5K will be held May 18 at Blanchard Woods Park in Evans. Sign up at http://www.active.com/running/evans-ga/2nd-annual-armed-forces-day-5k-2013
Incidentally, because the Blanchard Woods course is entirely off-road, it very well might become a new go-to site for fundraiser 5K races – though the county can charge for groups to use the park, too.
As always, let me know of any other future races you’d like to promote.
Let’s hit the road!