Tharon Giddens' quest for fast, cheap and tasty

Pizza Central: Good food cheap

Pizza Central in Evans is kind of like your favorite college town pizzeria: a bit tumbledown, very intimate and serving darn good food on the cheap.

Some of the larger pizza places in Augusta are good, but a bit affected, trying too hard to craft an eclectic ambience instead of concentrating on the food. Pizza Central, 4408 Evans to Locks Road, is clean but well-worn. It's the kind of place where you can concentrate on your mealtime companions and what you come for, the food.

Lunch Buddy Donna and I made our first visit on a recent Friday. You order at a counter window up front, then seat yourself.

I had an Italian sausage and mushroom calzone with a tossed house salad. Donna ordered a Greek salad and wings.
The calzone was the best I've had in Augusta, an artery-clogging (in a good way) concoction that was hot, filling and flavorful. It could  have been  a meal for two. The fresh salad had  a decent assortment of vegetables.

Donna was impressed with the lemon pepper wings. They were huge and flavorful. The Greek salad was OK, but it was topped with pepperoni.

The iced tea was decent, and refills are unlimited (you help yourself). The personable guy who took our orders  did double duty bringing our food to the  table and cleaning clutter.

The meal with a 20 percent tip cost $23, a bit above the Lunch Money goal of $10 each.

Pizza Central opens at 10:30 a.m. and takes orders until 9 p.m.  Mondays-Saturdays. Call (706) 651-9899.

THE LUNCH LINE

WHAT: Pizza Central
WHERE: 4408 Evans to Locks Road
ON THE MENU: Pizza, sandwiches, salads, subs
FOOD: 4 out  of 5
SERVICE: 3
VALUE: 3.5
CALL AHEAD: (706) 651-9899

• Syndicate content
jbomb
jbomb 02/04/10 - 12:49 pm
Robollis is still the beast

Robollis is still the beast pizza in Augusta!!

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 02/04/10 - 01:07 pm
I been meaning to try

I been meaning to try Robollis, especially if its a beast!!! lol JK I have heard they are delicious from several people, time for me to try it. Pizza central I just tried, but hubby ordered me the wrong calzone and I don't eat certain meats, so I didn't get to enjoy it as much as I may have. Haven't tried the pizza yet. I do want to try their baked spaghetti though. mmmm Fazollis used to do baked spaghetti and it was really great for a drive thru, especially when not wanting the same old fast food. I really miss them. =(

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 02/04/10 - 01:12 pm
Tharon, I did not recognize

Tharon, I did not recognize you in that new picture. I was mad they replaced you!! lol Especially since I want your job doing Lunch Money when you are done with it!! lol Really though, I didn't recognize you! Did you lose weight? Good for you!!! You look a lil younger too. Though I though your other pic with those cheeks, was as cute as could be! lol

SoonerorLater
SoonerorLater 02/04/10 - 01:55 pm
Good Pizza!!!! The owners

Good Pizza!!!! The owners are very friendly and good people. My son worked there about three years ago and they treated him very well. They also treated me very well and were extremely friendly.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 02/04/10 - 02:53 pm
You know, I'm not trying to

You know, I'm not trying to slam the place at all..the pizza was pretty decent, from what I remember. But I can't get away from the fact they bring the pizza to the table, and then expect you to eat off of paper plates! And I mean CHEAP, flimsy paper plates that you pretty much cut holes in when you cut into your pizza or calzone. I mean, come on! And it's not like we're getting a cheaper price for them to cut down on prices because of the paper plates. Well, I'll say this..it's probably been about 3 or 4 years since we've eaten there. Maybe we'll try it again. Do you think they'd mind if we brought our own plates??

Dudeness
Dudeness 02/04/10 - 04:01 pm
I've heard people rave about

I've heard people rave about this place including one of my teachers, but I thought it was overrated. The pizza was good at a good price, but nothing special. You could do just as well at some other area pizza places.

soldout
soldout 02/04/10 - 09:30 pm
I like this place a lot. I

I like this place a lot. I get two medium ham and pineapple pizzas for 9 dollars on Tuesdays. It freezes and re-heats in a toaster perfect in about six minutes. No msg and it sits well( a term some will understand)

jbartley
jbartley 02/04/10 - 10:59 pm
They have vary good food and

They have vary good food and everybody who works there is vary niceand it is not a chain!

Tharon Giddens
Tharon Giddens 02/05/10 - 05:59 am
Thanks for the input, y'all.

Thanks for the input, y'all. Maybe I need to do a pizza smackdown, jbomb and TakeAstand. I haven't had the pizza at Robolli's yet, nor at Pizza Central. Yo Pizza is on the to-do list, too. Any other suggestions?

cristinadh
cristinadh 02/05/10 - 07:11 am
I just like Roma's pizza..

I just like Roma's pizza.. their pizza just takes me back home!!! good memories!!!

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 02/05/10 - 10:09 pm
I love Roma's also. I don't

I love Roma's also. I don't know why but it always seems it taste better by the slice and theres more toppings that way. I order the same pizza whole and it just doesn't taste the same. A pizza smackdown would be awesome!! lol

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 02/05/10 - 10:12 pm
Another good pizza often

Another good pizza often forgotten is Sbarro's in the mall. Taste like a northern style pizza. I get the veggie pizza add peperoni. That oil or whatever they use with it with the green things in it is awesome. We go often.

Monitor reports worsening Vogtle delays

Scheduling delays for two nuclear reactors under construction at Plant Vogtle are worsening, according to a report from a state-hired construction monitor.