Tharon Giddens' quest for fast, cheap and tasty

Pining for pulled pork

Lunch Money has been in the mood for barbecue of late, so I took a road trip to the wilds of Martinez for a small plate of chipped pork, hash and rice and potato salad from Cleve Edmunds Bar-B-Que, 3935 Washington Road.

They aced the Lunch Money criteria:

1. It was fast. All the barbecue and sides for the plates are in bins behind the counter where you order, and they're dipped out hot and fresh.
  2. It was cheap. $7.55 for a small plate. I added an ice tea (I forgot to ask for unsweet and had driven off with the takout plate before I noticed) for $1.55.
  3. And it was decent. The chipped pork was cooked just right (not mushy) and the Edmunds sauce has just enough of a vinegar bite to it without being overbearing. The hash and rice are solid, but the potato salad had a bit too much dressing for my taste. I'll be back, but I'll try the slaw next time.

The servers are prompt and courteous, and the interior is clean, but nothing fancy. As with any good barbecue place, you get two slices of white bread with your meal.

Edmunds is open 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Sunday-Tuesday, and 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Wednesday-Saturday. Call them at (706) 863-4277.

Lunch Money is going on a barbecue binge in the next few weeks, trying out a variety of barbecue joints around Augusta and Aiken. Any suggestions?

• Syndicate content
tigerrag218
tigerrag218 04/14/09 - 10:10 pm
With all due respect to all

With all due respect to all the bar-b-que places in and around Augusta, one only need to know where Sconyers is.  Mr.  Larry knows a thing a two about bar-b-que. You will find no better ANYWHERE!!!

Tharon Giddens
Tharon Giddens 04/15/09 - 09:08 am
Sconyers is definitely on

Sconyers is definitely on the radar. I haven't been in a few years and it will be one of the stops.

sarahchilders
sarahchilders 04/16/09 - 11:57 am
BBQ Barn in North Augusta.

BBQ Barn in North Augusta.  Carolina Gold!

John Boyette
John Boyette 04/16/09 - 03:43 pm
Check out Carolina BBQ in

Check out Carolina BBQ in New Ellenton. Worth the drive.

And don't forget Bobby's BBQ in between Augusta and Aiken.

onehotdog
onehotdog 04/17/09 - 11:43 am
Check out Duke's BBQ in

Check out Duke's BBQ in Aiken. They are between Aiken and New Ellenton. It is also worth the drive.

Galan Lewis
Galan Lewis 04/17/09 - 01:47 pm
I agree Sarah!

I agree Sarah!

Galan Lewis
Galan Lewis 04/17/09 - 01:48 pm
Shealy's in Batesburg is

Shealy's in Batesburg is quite a drive, but well worth it!!!

americanveteran
americanveteran 04/19/09 - 09:57 am
Carolina Bar-B-Que in New

Carolina Bar-B-Que in New Ellenton, SC is the Best in Aiken County and the price is great.  Bar-B-Que Barn in North Augusta, SC is also good, a bit pricy for the amount of food that they give you.  Bobby's Bar-B-Que in Langley, SC is the WORST Bar-B-Que in the two state area.  Newman's Bar-B-Que in Clearwater, SC is OK.  I have not tried Dukes in Aiken, SC in a long time.  Was not impressed several years ago, but I hear that the food quality has improved greatly.

Shealy's in Batesburg-Leesville, SC has good Bar-B-Que, but it is the rest of the food on the buffet that makes it worth the drive up.  Their fried chicken is awesome.  Hites Bar-B-Que, also in Batesburg-Leesville, SC has better Bar-B-Que than Shealy's, but they don't have the buffet that Shealy's has to offer.

In Georgia, there is no place better than Sconyers Bar-B-Que in Augusta, GA.  Edmunds in Martinez, GA is also good.

Tharon Giddens
Tharon Giddens 04/21/09 - 11:18 am
Wow, thanks for input. Looks

Wow, thanks for input. Looks like I need to take a Carolina road trip with a couple of folks to get everything covered...

tfryman58
tfryman58 04/21/09 - 01:39 pm
I will have to try some

I will have to try some where outside Augusta area.  I have not found any place good.  I have tried Sconyers and did not think it was that good.  I agree that Bobby's is not that great.

eric stoner
eric stoner 04/21/09 - 05:18 pm
Try Firehouse on Lumpkin Rd.

Try Firehouse on Lumpkin Rd.

jfwest
jfwest 05/01/09 - 03:56 pm
Looking for real BBQ, where

Looking for real BBQ, where the meat is first priority?  Try a new, small take-out joint named C.W.'s To-Go-B-Cue.  Conveniently located but hard to find - off Washington Road behind Applebee's & Very Vera.  Todd Prichard & Bo Willis smoke small batches on a Big Green Egg and a custom smoker in the parking lot.  Boston butts, chicken and ribs are their specialty.  Brunswick stew made fresh daily (no hash & rice here) is also on the menu. Excellent homemade mustard or vinegar sauce is available but the meat is too good for sauces.  One table is available for dining in.  This is the barbecue like I remember from many years ago.

HillGuy
HillGuy 05/01/09 - 06:15 pm
What most people in the

What most people in the Augusta area consider to be Barbeque is actually North Carolina Style BBQ: whole slow pit cooked hog, finely chopped, no sauce is applied during cooking, except for a tad of vinegar. Any sauce, if it is desired, is applied after cooking, by the diner, it is usually a thin, vinegar based sauce. Sides include white bread, hash (this is more of a coastal South carolina phenomenon), potato salad (with mayonannaise and dried mustard), and sometime Brunswick Stew (which originated in Brunswick County, VA... not GA!). The only authentic places I have copme across in the area are all in South Carolina. The place in New Ellenton is probably the tops in the immediate area. Shealy's,  though a bit of a drive out to Batesburg/Leesville, is the best. But if you want real BBQ, then you need to go to Salisbury, NC.

Symond
Symond 05/30/09 - 06:32 am
The servers are prompt and

The servers are prompt and courteous, and the interior is clean, but nothing fancy. online early education degree | online paralegal degree | online nursing degree program

Symond
Symond 05/30/09 - 06:34 am
Looks like I need to take a

Looks like I need to take a Carolina road trip with a couple of folks to get everything covered... online human services degrees | online economics degree

Term limit for poor principals?

The Richmond County Board of Education discussed giving principals a three-year period to improve their student's academic performance on pain of possible demotion during Thursday's meetings.