Larry Jon Wilson has passed

Larry Jon Wilson 1940-2010
Larry Jon Wilson 1940-2010

Augusta-area singer, songwriter and practiced raconteur Larry Jon Wilson died today in Roanoke, Va.

Wilson, best known for his loose association with the Outlaw country music movement in the 1970s, gave up what he often referred to as the 'company car life' to pursue music. His rumbling baritone and distinctive songwriting style, which combined elements of country, folk and Southern narrative, made him something of a musician's musician, garnering a coterie of friends and musical accomplices that included Townes Van Zandt, Mickey Newbury and Waylon Jennings.

The bulk of Wilson's recorded work, the albums New Beginnings, Let Me Sing My Songs, Loose Change and The Sojourner, was released on the Monument Label. Last year, Wilson released his first new work in nearly 30 years, the self-titled Larry Jon Wilson, on the Chicago-based indie label Drag City. The release proved to be something of a career renaissance for Wilson, particularly in Europe where he had maintained a small but fervent fan base.

"It has been nice," Wilson said in an interview last April. "It's been nice that, at this point in my life, people are interested."

In the long years between releases, Wilson kept busy with performances known for their intimate and improvisational nature and doing voiceover work for a variety of television networks, including serving as the official voice for the Turner South network. A working definition of dichotomy, he was a public performer who valued his privacy. In his April interview, he acknowledged the irony of making his living onstage while allowing only a valued few access to his private life.

"I'm no introvert but I am private," he said. "I like to say I find myself, quite often, alone in bad company."

Funeral arrangements have not been announced.

Augusta Chronicle interview from April 14, 2010

• Syndicate content
Sargebaby
Sargebaby 06/21/10 - 07:21 pm
Sadness is the loss of

Sadness is the loss of someone so talented, and that his flower bloomed so late in life. My condolences to the family and friends of this gentle soul. May he rest in peace.

shamrock
shamrock 06/21/10 - 07:23 pm
What a wonderful artist! He

What a wonderful artist! He will surely be missed. I was so glad to have seen him perform a few years ago. Of all his songs, "Bertrand, My Son" will always be my favorite.

fighterzack
fighterzack 06/21/10 - 07:43 pm
Larry Jon was a fantastic

Larry Jon was a fantastic artist, and a master of the English language. He could turn a phrase like no one I ever met. He was also an inspiration to many, many young and not so young singers and songwriters in the area, and world wide. I believe he was a member of the Songwriter's Hall of Fame, as he used to tell me stories of retreats with a motley group of such, which you had to be invited into by the members. He was a man's man, and he was his own man, and he will be missed by all who knew him.

CorporalGripweed
CorporalGripweed 06/21/10 - 08:08 pm
Another fine man and

Another fine man and wonderful storyteller gone. Augusta and the world of American music have lost one of the "good guys".I last saw him perform at the "Day at The Imperial" show a few months ago. He was diminished physically, but his voice and his prescence loomed large that day. Something told me he wasn't long for this life. I felt priveliged to stand off stage and hear probably one of the last shows he ever performed in Augusta. Godspeed Larry Jon....

RogueKnight
RogueKnight 06/21/10 - 09:28 pm
He was a large man, but

He was a large man, but gentle in nature. I believe "Through The Eyes Of Little Children" was a window into his soul. We had mutual friends and I was once a guest in his home. He was very kind to me and I'll never forget it. He will be greatly missed.

Indigo
Indigo 06/21/10 - 10:40 pm
God bless his children, who

God bless his children, who had hard lives. I watched them grow up while he was out chasing his rainbow.

Insider Information
Insider Information 06/21/10 - 11:19 pm
Larry Jon was a true musician

Larry Jon was a true musician - heart and soul. I have always loved Friday Night Fights at Al's Place.

dodo1234
dodo1234 06/21/10 - 11:47 pm
Larry learned to play the

Larry learned to play the guitar at age 5. If only kids these days would do that, than pick up a cell phone and learn how to text. I'll see you in heaven my second cousin, I'll be bringing me bagpipes!

Becky Hobbs
Becky Hobbs 06/22/10 - 12:01 am
Larry Jon....a truly unique

Larry Jon....a truly unique and inspiring artist. You will be missed.

coco rubio
coco rubio 06/22/10 - 01:32 am
RIP LJW -- a true artist.

RIP LJW -- a true artist.

armenb
armenb 06/22/10 - 04:07 am
So sorry to hear of Larry

So sorry to hear of Larry Jon's passing. Larry I hardly knew ye, but I dug you!