The Chronicle's customer service and information blog

Changes to our online comments

I’m sure you’ve noticed that we’ve made some changes to our online comments. It has already caused some discussion, so I want to give you a brief overview of the new features. We believe they will help to improve the quality of the comments and make the experience more enjoyable.

-We added a “thumbs up/thumbs down” feature which, judging by its usage, is already quite popular.

-We changed the appearance to make it more appealing.

-We added a subject field as an additional dimension for self expression. If you don’t use the subject field, the first several words of your comment will be used. The subject field is not mandatory, but have some fun with it. Be creative.

-Perhaps the biggest change is a point system where you will be awarded points for good commenting practices and have points removed for negative behavior.

You will receive points for posting comments, voting on comments and flagging spam. If you break the rules, you will lose points.

Much of the point system is automatic, but we will be able to add or subtract points manually (and only if necessary.) If we have to block your commenting privileges, you will, of course, lose all of your points.

We haven’t made any decisions on possible rewards for points yet. We are waiting to see how this all works. For now, you will get the recognition of gaining points (or not as the case may be) and being indentified as a regular part of our commenting community. I’m sure we will come up with some reward system soon though.

It is still a work in progress. There will be changes made as we see how the new system works and how you use it. It is new to me as well, so I will be learning the ins and outs just like you will.

The ultimate goal is always to foster good and respectful discussion on the important topics of the day. Sometimes it works well; sometimes not so much. We all know that it is not perfect. Any time a group of people with different opinions and personalities get together there are bound to be some problems.

This is an effort to improve the quality of our comments. We want our site to be as interactive as possible. We want to engage our readers in the newsgathering process. We want it to be positive for you and for us.

Also, we have something new coming soon that will allow us to publish more of the best of your comments in print and in another online venue. Your voices will gain more volume in our community. The point system may help us in this effort.

None of you are shy about letting me know what you think, so give me your feedback. I have already gotten several emails expressing concerns over how the point system will be administered. Don’t worry. We want this to be fair.  The bottom line is we want to reward good behavior and make commenting an enjoyable experience.

• Syndicate content
fishman960
fishman960 05/10/12 - 09:29 am
Sounds interesting Sean but I

Sounds interesting Sean but I have to admit, I have shifted from using the Chronicle and the website mostly when the fee was added.

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/10/12 - 09:44 am
HEH.. You know exactly how I

HEH..
You know exactly how I feel about this.....so I won't repeat myself on here!!

pommom38
pommom38 05/10/12 - 09:50 am
Part of my reason as well

Part of my reason as well Fishman, but mostly because it is not unbiased, and far from fair. I've seen in recent weeks where certain posts are pulled and others allowed to remain, the common posters know exactly what I refer too.
Once you start allowing majority rules, more will come back am sure. Till then, surely you've noticed a drastic decrease in posts and/or readers the past few months.

InChristLove
InChristLove 05/10/12 - 09:56 am
"you will be awarded points

"you will be awarded points for good commenting practices and have points removed for negative behavior"

Can see since yesterday that this is really questionable in my opinion.

imwatching
imwatching 05/10/12 - 10:06 am
All comments are on point

All comments are on point but, everyone is forgetting that this is what occurs in every city in the U.S when there is ONLY one viable newsprint service. It goes to the "Golden Rule...he who has the gold, makes the rules".

Iwannakno
Iwannakno 05/10/12 - 10:09 am
I too have seen posts removed

I too have seen posts removed when I can find nothing offensive and certain other posters are allowed to blather on about things totally unrelated to the article. I'm not talking about the Rants and Raves I avoid it because it's more of a chat room than a comment section. Regular articles are hijacked by certain posters that put the same drivel on every article they post in. Other posters are inflammatory with their comments so I guess they have the rep of being trouble makers and have posts removed when I see nothing in them that is against the rules...JMO.

Conservative Man
Conservative Man 05/10/12 - 03:50 pm
Well, at least now I know how

Well, at least now I know how the "point system" works.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 05/10/12 - 04:00 pm
I understand the points of

I understand the points of being respectful and non-confrontational, but I think we are all adults and shouldn't have to be subjected to some sort of "reward" system for "being good" and acting the way the paper wants us to act. Sometimes a point needs to be made and there's no way of sugar-coating it. The fault isn't always the writer's...sometimes the fault belongs with the interpretation of the post.

whyme
whyme 05/10/12 - 04:18 pm
Hopefully this will encourage

Hopefully this will encourage people to demonstrate intelligent and thought-promoting comments rather than the often uneducated and disparaging remarks that seem at times to make up the majority of the comments. We can have differences in opinion but when people are allowed to make judgment calls on articles they've read, assumptions about a subject's character, or otherwise blurt out statements that are totally irrelevant, it only makes Augusta appear as a group of hicks or as classless as some who post on AOL and other similar sites. In addition, it should be noted that positive remarks about local businesses will be accepted, but negative ones are discouraged or even blocked, for a variety of reasons, I'm told. I also hope that this process will reduce the number of posters from using the comment boards as chat rooms and social clubs.

FriedFacts
FriedFacts 05/10/12 - 04:26 pm
When I hear the directives

When I hear the directives that comments should be basically warm and fuzzy and see some of the names that have lots of points, I have to wonder about the flaws in the system.

broad street narrow mind
broad street narrow mind 05/10/12 - 05:30 pm
how many points do i get if i

how many points do i get if i say, "wow, dumb"?

broad street narrow mind
broad street narrow mind 05/10/12 - 05:32 pm
hey, where's the subject

hey, where's the subject field feature? i was ready to "have some fun with it."

scoopdedoop64
scoopdedoop64 05/10/12 - 05:35 pm
I think its all a good idea

I think its all a good idea overall..but just seeing from these comments nothing ever changes...people are more likely to write something negative than positive. It still looks better than the old style.

eb97
eb97 05/10/12 - 07:10 pm
Just look at how few people

Just look at how few people are posting these days. Something isn't working for this paper and I think this system will just make it worse for the paper's popularity.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 05/10/12 - 07:59 pm
Hope the new system is a

Hope the new system is a success, Sean, however, it has been my experience that any changes made will eventually meet with criticism from someone who doesn't agree with your (AC) policies. Good luck with the new thang!

broad street narrow mind
broad street narrow mind 05/11/12 - 09:03 am
what would really be

what would really be innovative is allowing all points of view to be expressed. even when they don't flatter the exulted ones.

KasparHauser
KasparHauser 05/12/12 - 04:50 pm
Wonder how long the real Tom

Wonder how long the real Tom Paine, not the teabagger version, would have lasted under these bourgeois conditions.

That's as compared, for example, with how the unsigned, intellectually-corrupt, but Uncle-Billy-Good-Housekeeping-Seal-of-Approval, AC editorial troglodytes will continue to "... sail on, to their havens under the hill."

After all, old Rupert has seen no evil in the obviously criminal doings of his minions.