A blog about nothing

Open thread

Off topic? Who needs a topic?

We created this comment thread for you to talk about lunch, atomic fusion, Santa Claus, pretty much whatever you would like. If you chat with your friends here, the other threads will be cleaner and more topical.

The same posting rules apply, so behave yourselves.

As they used to say at the roller rink, it's an all-skate guys; have fun.

• Syndicate content
Riverman1
Riverman1 10/29/11 - 11:39 am
Hey Mac. Good to see you. The

Hey Mac. Good to see you. The forums bit the dust. Told y'all I'd never post there again. Someone there wanted to bet on that. He lost.

Mac
Mac 10/29/11 - 01:30 pm
TY Riverman1....... I've

TY Riverman1....... I've changed my posting style. I'm more my real self now.

Bruno
Bruno 11/07/11 - 10:13 am
The automatic redirects to

The automatic redirects to advertisements and the pop up subscription request is most annoying. Whoever thought that was a good idea should be publicly flogged.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/08/11 - 04:37 pm
You are so right, Bruno. The

You are so right, Bruno. The pages have gotten so complex with animated ads and ads with audio and video; ads so large it takes several seconds to load; scripts running in the background and who knows what else. It runs clunky now. There is an annoying "Bookmark & Share" pop-up you see occasionally. And what is this where the focus on the article jumps down to the bottom of the story for a second or two and then back up to the top?

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/10/11 - 06:38 pm
Any elected official who

Any elected official who doesn't pay his/her taxes on time, shouldn't ask for my vote.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/12/11 - 12:01 pm
This Associated Press story

This Associated Press story is on page 2A in today's Chronicle (excerpted):

Salt Lake City — Disguising himself with an alias, the mayor of Utah's second largest city has been writing upbeat free-lance articles about his town for area news outlets because he claimed the media spent too much time on crime coverage.

He unapologetically revealed himself this week, insisting the balance was needed. “I thought about all the people just reading about crime in our city and nothing better,” West Valley City Mayor Mike Winder said Friday. “I'm trying to stand up for us because we do get the short end of the stick – negative stories.”
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sound like someone we know?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/18/11 - 01:04 pm
Here's something to think

Here's something to think about. I got it from the 11/21/11 issue of Environmental Compliance Alert:

Tighter water quality standards are in the future for California facilities, especially those releasing toxic materials like mercury.

Reason: The list of impaired waterways jumped 170% between 2006 and 2010, the state told EPA.

The jump in toxicity listings for California waterways is largest for mercury, which has prompted a sharp increase in fish consumption warnings.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Little Lamb's commentary: Well, the chickens are coming home to roost. That time period — 2006 through 2010 — corresponds to the increasing use of compact fluorescent light bulbs in homes. They contain mercury. When they are broken in the home, or crushed in the landfill, the mercury is released to the air, where it disperses throughout the atmosphere until it returns to earth dissolved in rainfall, thus eventually making its way into waterways.

Another unintended consequence of environmental correctness.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/20/11 - 11:27 am
If we assume the more times

If we assume the more times something is seen and heard the more likely it is for a consumer to buy it, then online papers are about 10,000 times more effective than printed newspapers. The Chronicle would fold without this online edition. The comments section adds to the readers and the Chronicle knows it.

I know lots of people who only open the online edition to read the comments and they never post. Where I work, lots of people read my comments and tell me about them, but none of them ever post.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/20/11 - 08:52 pm
Okay, I got my obligatory

Okay, I got my obligatory Costco's card today and went shopping there. After over $400, I decided it's not much different than Sams. Heh. Someone refresh my memory why it's different and deserves a tax break?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/21/11 - 09:53 am
Absolutely, RM! It is

Absolutely, RM! It is fundamentally wrong to give a tax break to a company coming to the area while all the competing companies have to pay their taxes. It reminds me of the infuriating practices of the telephone companies and cable companies. They will give an introductory offer to nab new customers, all the while their existing customers are being stabbed in the back with the higher rates. It seems backward to me.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/21/11 - 10:34 am
LL, think abou this. I also

LL, think abou this. I also have a Sams card and usually do big shopping there. The county sales tax portion of the $400 I spent would be coming to the county if I had shopped at Sams. Looks to me like the county will experience a net loss in revenue.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/21/11 - 10:43 am
Wow! The county is taking a

Wow! The county is taking a property tax hit and a sales tax hit by bringing in Costco. And, in addition to that, they're reducing the revenue of all Costco competitors. Nice deal, if you can get it.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 11/27/11 - 12:17 pm
This is directed to Sean. I

This is directed to Sean. I made a comment under a letter and it was posted both there and here. How does this work?

Thanks

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 11/28/11 - 11:43 am
scoobydoisback, I don't

scoobydoisback, I don't understand. Your comment should only appear under the story where you posted it. Can you explain exactly what happened?

Bruno
Bruno 11/30/11 - 11:27 am
Full page auto redirect as

Full page auto redirect as soon as you get to the website. Yeah that it brilliant.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/02/11 - 07:54 am
I've got a question for you

I've got a question for you technical gurus. For some reason when I type in these comments, I can't click back in the sentence. Ummm, let me try to explain this better. You know how you can click your mouse anywhere and it will be visible so you can make changes and so on? Well, I can go back and make changes, but it doesn't show me where I've moved the cursor or whatever you call this thing. Have I turned something off? Ha. A technical writer I could never be.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 12/02/11 - 10:17 am
Riverman, I'm pretty sure

Riverman, I'm pretty sure that is something on your end. The first thing I would do is restart my computer.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/14/11 - 09:38 am
Okay, to anyone who reads

Okay, to anyone who reads this post: when you navigate to the Discussion page, do you have anything in the center column under the "Most Active Discussions" header? All I see is a sea of white phosphors on the screen. Some time ago, there was a list of the most popular stories that you could click on. It seemed like there were twenty-five or more stories listed there.

I admit that I am using Internet Explorer for my browser and I was just wondering if those of you with the popular souped-up browsers still had the "Most Active Discussions" feature still available to you.

Bruno
Bruno 12/14/11 - 09:49 am
LL That happens a lot.

LL That happens a lot. Granted, I would rather see that than the full page flash ad that you get before you can even read the first word on the homepage or the drop down asking to you to register.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/14/11 - 09:55 am
I see white space too...I

I see white space too...I asked about it & was told it may come back soon...hope so...I miss it..

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/14/11 - 11:15 am
Sean, and others, in regard

Sean, and others, in regard to my earlier problem of not being able to see where I was typing a comment or being able to move the cursor with the arrows, I fixed it by doing a restore on my computer. Works fine now.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/15/11 - 01:57 pm
Boy, talk about incomplete

Boy, talk about incomplete reporting, this was in today's print edition (Page 5A):

33% of CEOs of the largest American companies expect to add employees and spend more on large equipment in the next six months.

40% of CEOs of the largest American companies plan to keep their work forces steady.

27% of CEOs of the largest American companies will cut staffers in the next six months.

It would have been nice if they told us who those 33% companies are so we could apply. Also it would have been nice if they told us who the 27% companies are so we wouldn't waste our time submitting applications there.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/16/11 - 12:30 pm
Seems like I'm moving

Seems like I'm moving backward by making suggestions. When I mentioned that there was a heading for "Most Active Discussions" in the center column of the Discussion page but that the data was no longer displaying; they have now removed the heading instead of bringing back the data. Now the only thing in the center column is the link to this blog!

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 12/16/11 - 12:39 pm
Little Lamb, we removed the

Little Lamb, we removed the header until we could come up with a replacement program to list the most discussed stories.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/20/11 - 03:51 pm
Hey Sean. I've been going to

Hey Sean. I've been going to Customer Service for a few days to change my credit card info for the $6.95 thing and I keep getting it's temporarily closed. Either y'all get this thing working or Riverman may be gone when the bankers catch up with my last bogus credit card. Ponzi schemes need rapid communications to work.

justthefacts
justthefacts 12/20/11 - 04:07 pm
Sounds like a diabolical plot

Sounds like a diabolical plot to get rid of Riverman.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/20/11 - 04:16 pm
JTF, I wouldn't describe a

JTF, I wouldn't describe a plot to get rid of Riverman as being diabolical. It's the right thing to do. I've been trying to get rid of him for a couple of years.

justthefacts
justthefacts 12/20/11 - 04:21 pm
ha, OK, good luck.

ha, OK, good luck.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 12/20/11 - 04:29 pm
Riverman, send an email to

Riverman, send an email to customercare@mypressplus.com with the new credit card information. Press Plus has been very good about customer service in the past. If you don't get a reply, email me and I will contact them.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/20/11 - 05:32 pm
Hey, Riverman, you can also

Hey, Riverman, you can also send an e-mail to me with your credit card information. I will provide excellent customer service as well.

:-)

'Go Downtown' initiative gets mixed reviews

The "Go Downtown" initiative aims to foster a downtown environment that welcomes the college community and creates business for merchants. The event is held every third Thursday of the month ...