A blog about nothing

Open thread

Off topic? Who needs a topic?

We created this comment thread for you to talk about lunch, atomic fusion, Santa Claus, pretty much whatever you would like. If you chat with your friends here, the other threads will be cleaner and more topical.

The same posting rules apply, so behave yourselves.

As they used to say at the roller rink, it's an all-skate guys; have fun.

• Syndicate content
Sargebaby
Sargebaby 08/14/10 - 10:11 pm
Hope everyone has a good

Hope everyone has a good night! Nat, you and your Mrs. have a good night, and a great week. Precious and I are going to start working on #54. God bless you!

And to all true Americans, keep faith, we're not a criminal country as some would have you believe, we are a free country, where even this person has the right to denigrate who he pleases. Just don't do it to our America, and thank your lucky stars you're among us. There is no other place, country, island, or continent, as great as America! Love it, or leave it, and don't let the gate hit you on the way out!

JohnBoy53
JohnBoy53 05/01/10 - 07:27 pm
I sure wish I could post in

I sure wish I could post in the forum section but no....and Sean Moore says they don't know why I can't!

fishman960
fishman960 05/03/10 - 03:44 pm
Why do some folks that post

Why do some folks that post here think they are an authority on all subjects? I mean, they have an answer for everything.

JohnBoy53
JohnBoy53 05/04/10 - 11:28 am
fishman, I suppose that's

fishman, I suppose that's what OPINIONS are all about... I'm just sayin'...

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 05/14/10 - 09:04 am
Wow! After a mere month and

Wow! After a mere month and a half 'Idle Chatter' is already on its 3rd page!

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 05/14/10 - 10:02 am
Rolling Eyes, I'm afraid Idle

Rolling Eyes, I'm afraid Idle Chatter is going the way of the dinosaur. We can think of it as an experiment that failed.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 05/18/10 - 11:17 am
From the AP today: Indiana

From the AP today:

Indiana Republican Rep. Mark Souder announced Tuesday he would resign from Congress, effective Friday, because he had an affair with a staffer. Souder won the Republican primary over car dealer Bob Thomas, who spent much of his own money on television commercials portraying Souder as a career politician who wasn't a true fiscal conservative. Souder countered by emphasizing his A-plus marks from the National Rifle Association and 100 percent rating from the National Right to Life Committee.
Souder had been expected to face a stiff challege from Democrat Tom Hayhurst, a former Fort Wayne city councilman who lost a close race to Souder in 2006.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I'm pro-2nd amendment and pro-life myself. But perhaps it's best Souder bow out. I do not follow Indiana politics, but when a politician is challenged on fiscal matters and responds about being pro-NRA and pro-life, there might be a hint of truth in the opponent's challenge. At this time, we need people in Congress who will rein in spending, slash wealth distribution programs, stop pork barrel spending, and vote against government interference in personal affairs.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 05/19/10 - 09:50 am
Wow! Here is a hot news item

Wow! Here is a hot news item from the Associated Press, dated May 19, 2010:

CBS is owned by CBS Inc.

Tots
Tots 05/21/10 - 10:14 am
Ok did I pee in somebodys

Ok did I pee in somebodys coffee?.

Mark Richardson
Mark Richardson 05/24/10 - 09:10 am
On the evening of April 9-10,

On the evening of April 9-10, my father underwent surgery to repair a broken femur at Trinity Hospital, a for-profit hospital owned by a large for-profit corporation called "Community Health Systems," which is, needless to say, located (oh) a thousand miles away from Augusta, our "community." While undergoing surgery, as is proper, the staff at Trinity removed my father's dentures, and then promptly "lost" them. He has been without them since. The CEO of Trinity, Mr. Jim Cruickshank (a businessman, so far as I can determine, not an M.D.), argues that dentures are "personal effects," such as rings, jewelry, iPods, etc. This is patently absurd. Dentures are prosthetic devices that allow a person to eat and to speak properly. Thus far, Mr. Cruickshank and Trinity Hospital refuse to pay the cost of replacing the dentures. I consider this a scandal. If you agree, feel free to call Trinity's administrative offices. Or to call the mega-corporation that owns Trinity: "Community Health Systems" (http://www.chs.net/) which, as its website informs us, owns, operates or leases 122 hospitals in 29 states, with an aggregate of approximately 18,000 licensed beds. My question: Just how many dentures & other prosthetic devices has this corporation lost and refused to pay for? "Community" health indeed.

Mark Richardson

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 05/29/10 - 09:06 pm
So much for the wonders of

So much for the wonders of service by Trinity Hosp. Inc.!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/06/10 - 11:31 am
Is Johnny Edwards taking a

Is Johnny Edwards taking a sabbatical to write his great American novel?

Tots
Tots 06/19/10 - 10:14 am
Shout out!

Shout out!

Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 06/24/10 - 12:23 pm
Pay no attention to the man

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. =8-)

hawkinslmr
hawkinslmr 07/12/10 - 08:48 am
My wife and her sister are

My wife and her sister are identical white female twins girls that were born on April 16, 1960 in Augusta GA. Their birth first names were Emily and Elaine. They were placed in the Richmond County Department of Public Welfare for adoption. On June 22, 1960 they were placed in the home of JC and Patricia Dellinger and the adoption proceedings started. The Dellinger's moved the family to Waycross, GA. The final adoption date was April 13, 1962 in Superior Court of Ware County Georgia, Honorable Cecil Roddenberry presiding. John Bennett was the lawyer for the Dellinger's. Emily and Elaine were renamed to Judi and Joni. Judi is Judi Hawkins and Joni is Joni Dellinger. Judi was diagnosed recently with a rare blood disorder that causes blood clots. We went to the Superior Court in Ware County to try to get birth family information for medical history but were unsuccessful. If anyone thinks they may know who the birth family or relatives are of these two ladies, please respond. Judi and Joni both have 3 kids each and it is vital to know the family medical history. Judi and Joni are very fair skin, blondes at birth and very tiny girls until their twenties, green eyes. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Email at hawkinslmr@att.net .

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/15/10 - 08:36 am
I saw this Associated Press

I saw this Associated Press article, and thought I would add two cents:

COLUMBIA, S.C. — Environmental officials say deposits of coal tar recently found in a South Carolina river likely were formed decades ago by plants that converted coal into a combustible gas. Someone wading in the Conagree River near downtown Columbia this summer found the tar in the river bed.

The Department of Health and Environmental Control began investigating and said Wednesday there is no evidence the tar ended up in the river recently. Scientists think the tar deposits came from coal plants that operated along the river from the late 1800s through the 1950s.

South Carolina Electric & Gas has agreed to work with DHEC on a clean up plan, even though there is no proof the plants owned by the utility's predecessor created the tar deposits.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Now my two cents worth:

We do not need a “clean up plan.” The material in the riverbed poses no environmental threat to anything. It is stable. The chemicals in the coal tar came out of the earth and they are natural. Just leave the riverbed alone. “Cleaning up” this material will destroy more benthic organisms than were originally harmed by the coal gassification plants in the 1880s through the 1950s.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/24/10 - 02:47 pm
Sean Moores set up this

Sean Moores set up this thread for discussions not on topic for other news articles. So, since The Chronicle has no articles on the Columbia County Commissioner Scott Dean textcapade, this would be the place for discussion.

I note that some have suggested that Scott needed to win because his opponent was somehow "unworthy." I don't know about that. But then those same people said Scott should resign immediately after being sworn in in January so that someone unsullied by a sex scandal would actually hold the seat.

I don't think that will happen. Scott has gotten a taste of power, and he likes it. He will be commissioner for at least four more years.

Of course it is wrong for a commissioner to commit adultery, and it is doubly wrong for a commissioner to commit adultery with a county employee. But it is not illegal (unless she files a claim (and proves it) of sexual harassment – not likely given the content of the text messages).

However, I would imagine that the county has rules for behavior of its employees, and the female perpetrator should resign or be fired; after a proper hearing, or course.

Elected officials get a lot of leeway in the world. Dean will be with us for a while.

Cadence
Cadence 08/13/10 - 05:10 pm
Does the discussion forum

Does the discussion forum still exist? I can't get it to load from my bookmark or Sarge's link above. And I never can find my way to it on the website. I always enjoyed reading it.

hephzibah81
hephzibah81 08/14/10 - 08:42 pm
when did hephzibah police

when did hephzibah police start handling civil matters and start writing tickets for civil matters, is that not what we have civil court for?
then because of a civil matter and taking someone's side threatens to take me to jail, is that not what our tax payers money needs to b spent on taking someone to jail and they were NOT harming any one and they were on there own propert that is over 10 acres?
Officer flowers of the heph police department is racial I think that when an officer is hired no matter what county or state they should have to go through a polygraph test based on questions that have to do with racism these are the people that can lie on someone and not think twice about it all because they have the law in there hands I think that we really need to push that!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/14/10 - 09:28 pm
To Hephzibah81; your post

To Hephzibah81; your post above does not give enough specifics for readers here to be able to offer you advice. What kind of "civil matter" did you get a ticket for?

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 08/14/10 - 10:15 pm
LL, this could be a

LL, this could be a "grumbler" who was caught doing a no no, and is just complaining. He/she has not returned to file a reply!

hephzibah81
hephzibah81 08/16/10 - 08:19 pm
LITTLE LAMB, this could take

LITTLE LAMB,
this could take days to explain but to sum it up we have 15 acres where we live and then this man we will just call robert bought about 7 acres or so but regardless the acres he bought (not from me from someone esle) was land locked so in other words he has no access to and from his property so at first we did not mind him and his family using our driveway which goes straight through the middle of my property so then he started flying through here so I stopped him and made him start using his families driveway which is on the other side of his property so he took us to court and unfortunately I asked for a jury trial and the jury awarded him access to and from his house on our driveway well the judge told me afterwards that if I would of just went through and did not ask for a jury trial he would of denied him access but that is after the fact so he has a tractor we stopped him from scraping our driveway because he was scraping all the dirt and crush n run that we would buy up to his house so he took me to court for contempt of court for stopping him the judge denied his contempt charge he tried to put against me and so it's been some years now he has a new tractor and there is a little hole on the side of our driveway and he came down and started putting dirt in the hole and I stood in the hole on the side and told him no he was not putting any more dirt and he told me to move off my own property or he was calling the cops so I told him to call them so he went and when officer flowers came here he went and talked to robert then came down
and was telling me that I have to let him and I showed him the court papers and he said oh well common sense says that he can fix that on my property, I told him no look at the papers and he then wrote me a ticket I can't say exactly what the charge was he said but he said that it was for blocking somone from making repairs on private property and it is MY PRIVATE PROPERTY and I got charged on my own land and it is not even close to his property line! and needless to say if anyone knows a good lawyer i will be suing the Hephzibah police and will keep you posted on the outcome!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/16/10 - 08:43 pm

Thank you for responding, Hephzibah81. Wow! You have a powerful story to tell. I'm sure you now know where you went wrong, but I'll offer my analysis. First, you wrote:

. . . so in other words he has no access to and from his property so at first we did not mind him and his family using our driveway which goes straight through the middle of my property so then he started flying through here so I stopped him and made him start using his families driveway which is on the other side of his property . . .

Never, never, ever give people permission to travel on your property as an easement onto their property. At some point, you will get burned.

. . . so he took us to court and unfortunately I asked for a jury trial and the jury awarded him access to and from his house on our driveway well the judge told me afterwards that if I would of just went through and did not ask for a jury trial he would of denied him access . . .

When you are being sued under the law, it is better to ask for a bench trial, because juries are unreliable. Sometimes in criminal trials you can get lucky and get a criminal on the jury to let you off. But in civil matters, it is better to stick with the judge.

. . . so I told him to call them so he went and when officer flowers came here he went and talked to robert then came down and was telling me that I have to let him . . .

Officer Flowers is obviously wrong. You always need to use a good lawyer when in court, even if you have to dip into the savings and arrange a payment plan for the attorney. I feel for you, you have been wronged. Best wishes in the future.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
P.S. If you talk like you write, it would be best if you not take the witness stand. Just let the lawyer do the talking.

MikeGei
MikeGei 09/04/10 - 03:34 pm
I just wanted to give a "Very

I just wanted to give a "Very well done " to Ron Brown and the Fish for Life Foundation for a very well organized and fun event this spring at the Fish for Life Bass Tournament. My partner and I came from Franklin, NC to fish this event and had a great time, good food and fellowship. There were plenty of activities for the kids too. We will back to fish again next spring. We are also coming back this November to fish the Toys for Tots tournament that Ron and Fish for Life are putting on, I know this will be great also.
Mike Geiger
Franklin, NC.

peggymckenzie
peggymckenzie 12/16/10 - 01:18 pm
well this is a very rough

well this is a very rough time of the year for me i have been counting my many blessing. i am a single mom of 2 teenagers if anyone can help i am looking for a cheap 3 bedroom home and a cheap vehicle. i need both the neghiborhood we live in isn't good and we need to move and our only vehcile has broken and can't be fixed so anybody got and lead please e-mail me peachstatelady_31@yahoo.com all e-mails will be appreciated !

Lskeezy97
Lskeezy97 01/23/11 - 03:46 pm
To the Augusta Chronicle

To the Augusta Chronicle Sports Reporting Department: Why don't the sports reporters or the video crews cover any middle school sports in Richmond or Columbia Counties at least the playoffs and championship games

Beautifull_1989
Beautifull_1989 03/19/11 - 03:16 pm
I live in River Glen

I live in River Glen Apartments and I hate this place!!! The management doesn't care about us. As long as they have a place to lay their heads at night they're fine. Here it is a hot hot day my thermostat reads 83 degrees and the landlords won't allow maintenane to turn on our air until April!!! I bet they're homes are nice and cool!!!! Someone should do something about this place and its management!!!

Soggy_Bottom
Soggy_Bottom 05/10/11 - 07:01 pm
How long does it take to get

How long does it take to get dinner in ICU? BIG RANT!!! Been waiting for over 2 hours! It's coming soon is the answer we keep getting. VERY upset.

Soggy_Bottom
Soggy_Bottom 05/10/11 - 07:03 pm
Dr's Hospital is currently on

Dr's Hospital is currently on my bad list!

Pu239