A blog about nothing

Open thread

Off topic? Who needs a topic?

We created this comment thread for you to talk about lunch, atomic fusion, Santa Claus, pretty much whatever you would like. If you chat with your friends here, the other threads will be cleaner and more topical.

The same posting rules apply, so behave yourselves.

As they used to say at the roller rink, it's an all-skate guys; have fun.

• Syndicate content
CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 04/12/10 - 06:59 pm
Jim, you here?

Jim, you here?

Sargebaby 04/12/10 - 07:08 pm
Am now! Hi Geo!

Am now! Hi Geo!

Sargebaby 04/12/10 - 07:09 pm
What's going on, and how is

What's going on, and how is CB?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 04/12/10 - 07:17 pm
Just a catch up for the day.

Just a catch up for the day. Spent 45 minutes this morning at FT. Gordon trying to find the JAG office, when I did was there for an hour on a small issue. That place is going building crazy.

Got back and had a good day with the market.

Spent the rest of the day updating my Genealogy wed site which was about 6 months over due.

Other than that, a good day.

Claudus will be in hospital till Wed. They put a bag under the skin on his back to feed the chemicals when he needs them. I never heard about that but everybody says it works.

Hope your "ends" feel ok today.

Sargebaby 04/12/10 - 07:18 pm
I'm a waitin, George, take

I'm a waitin, George, take your time, my friend!

Sargebaby 04/12/10 - 07:23 pm
Still "movin" all day long! I

Still "movin" all day long! I must have been full of it! I've made many "runs," but it's much better than yestrday. I've heard about those things they put under the skin. They deliver the medication much more effectively, than IVs. Ihope to be over this mess by tomorrow, then, it's going to be a new game plan for diet and medication. I don't want to go through this again!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 04/12/10 - 07:26 pm
Dam Jim, what the heck good

Dam Jim, what the heck good is this Idle when everything get back on discussion. I forgot it was an open thread.

See you back on the battle field.

Sargebaby 04/12/10 - 07:40 pm
Had to fire one across

Had to fire one across Corgi's bow, CG! Can't let a defeatist comment like that one go unattended! If she only knew the super power we are, she probably wouldn't have such a low opinion of our Nation.

Sargebaby 04/12/10 - 07:45 pm
Like anything new, the "open

Like anything new, the "open chat" category will take some time to flourish. Don't know why the draw is so strong on Rants and Raves, but it just seems to be the "hangout" of preference. Makes no difference to me, as long as we can communicate!

CarlosC
CarlosC 04/13/10 - 07:24 am
"It's SGT Pepper's Lonely

"It's SGT Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Blog.....we hope you will enjoy the show"

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/13/10 - 09:11 am
R&R is so dim funny...that's

R&R is so dim funny...that's why..Real comics..anyway Augusta Chronicle please put some info. in here about products made in the USA.(instead of constant kkk-tiger-gay articles) Just recently bought a ge dryer(salesman said it was made in the USA) google info. sez that ge is made in other countries...HOW can we know anymore.??Help Me AC.

Sargebaby 04/13/10 - 11:03 am
I second that, Seenit!

I second that, Seenit!

Sargebaby 04/17/10 - 01:45 pm
"Cousin: Vet who killed self

"Cousin: Vet who killed self in Ohio changed by war..."
___________________________

War changes participants of such thankless acts, in many ways. How it affects one, is different than how it affects another. We may never know why this young man was so tortured as to take his own life, but rest assured, something in his experiences, took a terrible turn.

I've seen many of the causes that makes people put a bullet in their bodies, ending their struggles. Each individual has their own reasons. One of the reasons Military personnel take their own lives, is loss of a loved one, like losing a girl friend, or a wife. Facing disciplinary action is another.
Over my Army career, I've been involved in two suicide attempts, and one we couldn't stop. All three were because of the reasons mentioned above.

Whatever motivated Sp. Huff to take his life, I hold his superiors partially responsible, especially his Platoon Sergeant and Section Sergeant. These two NCOs are the first line supervisors, who should have provided the training and guidance, that might have ultimately prevented this tragedy.
Their jobs were to support, train, and assist their personnel, and that includes matters of a personal nature. In other words, these two NCOs were Specialist Huff's Mom and Dad, as long as he was in their unit. They should have recognized a problem, then try to repair it. For what it's worth, their's was a duty not well done!

May Sp. Huff rest in peace, and his family be relieved of their grief! God bless them all!

Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 04/17/10 - 02:18 pm
No, Sargent. My nephew is a

No, Sargent. My nephew is a counselor for returning vets, coincidentally, we've discussed this troubling increase in suicides. It is most certainly NOT the fault of the "mom and dad in the unit". The most damage done by these suicides is indeed to the very heroes you cite as "most responsible".
These veterans simply were not equipped to cope with the stress that one only finds in combat, though granted I speak not from experience, but by investigation. There is no reliable way to predict exactly how anyone responds to combat scenarios until they've experienced them.
I thank every single veteran who ever experienced such scenarios for my blessing to never have faced such. For the fallen who have taken their own lives: good trip, brothers. Wish I'd have known you needed me. It's no one's fault but your own.

Sargebaby 04/17/10 - 05:29 pm
A friend and working

A friend and working companion of mine got himself in trouble, while on active duty. The Commanders decided to make an example of him, and reduced him from a Senior grade to a Private, and denied his ability to re-enlist. This ended his career, and he lost 18 years of service. To be truthful, his punishment was appropriate. Prior to being discharged, he started selling off his possessions. Lots of expensive cameras, guns, recording equipment and etc.. On a Friday evening, he stopped by my desk and asked if I had a rope he could use to pull down a tree he needed to cut. Thankfully, I did not! Next morning, the call came, he hung himself out behind his home.

In hindsight, he demonstrated some symptoms of suicidal tendencies, but I could not recognize them. I hated what he did, and it took me a long time to get over the fact that he wanted me to provide him the way to take his own life. I suppose the one I took the .45 away from, kind of cancels out the one I lost.

Doc, has your nephew served on active duty in a combat zone? If he hasn't, I could relate two more incidents that may be helpful.

Sadly, as long as there is a Military, there will be suicides in the ranks. If you would care to see how some of these come about, watch the first half of Full Metal Jacket. It's as close to real as it gets!

You're right, Doc, they never tell anyone that they need help. It is that final destitute act of not seeking help that robs a life before its time!

Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 04/17/10 - 05:57 pm
Aye can quote dialog from the

Aye can quote dialog from the first part of FMJ.
Me nephew insists, the only guilty party in a suicide is the perpetrator. I agree.

Nat the Cat
Nat the Cat 04/17/10 - 06:23 pm

Thank you both for such an eye-opening and "real" account of what it is like to be in combat, and then to suffer the consequences of such stress. I feel compelled to thank every single one of our service men and women for tirelessly protecting my Freedom every single minute of every single day. And for all of our retired military warriors, and those who have given their lives for over two hundred years, so that I can have a life. I am truly humbled! I cannot abide others for not wanting to live here with their constant bitching and moaning. It makes me angry.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 04/17/10 - 06:27 pm
Nat the Cat, just one word

Nat the Cat, just one word from me...."Thanks"

Sargebaby 04/17/10 - 06:34 pm
It's different in the

It's different in the Military, Doc! First line supervisors have responsibilities, whether written in job descriptions, or by verbal command. For many years, NCOs were held responsible for a troop going AWOL, or deserting. I can't speak for today, but in my Army, we took care of our troops, period!

Nat, you're welcome. It was not only my duty, it was my pleasure to serve my country! The stress in combat comes from many sources. Naturally, the bullets and IEDs, then the pressures of seperation, training, local conditions, weather, there are just too many to list. The Military is a glorious life, looking at it on TV and in movies, but they only scratch the surface of what it's like for real!

Sargebaby 04/17/10 - 06:38 pm
My thanks as well, Nat!

My thanks as well, Nat! George, Fed, USAFVet, and many others here, did it for you, our country, and our way of life!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 04/17/10 - 06:50 pm
Jim, If you really want to

Jim, If you really want to see the mindset of some of the people that live among us, go "It's the un-American way."

I will not go in because I would be banned for life.

Sargebaby 04/18/10 - 10:40 am
I know the feeling, George.

I know the feeling, George. America is a "soup mix" for sure!

I'll be on and off this thing today. It's anniversary #53, and Precious has the lead!

Sargebaby 04/18/10 - 10:47 am
A very happy Anniversary,

A very happy Anniversary, Hon! If it were not for you, I wouldn't be here to enjoy our #53. How do I tell you how much you mean to me, after fifty-three years of love and dedication? How can I thank you enough for all you do, including saving my life? I suppose the best way to show you, or express how I feel, is to simply say, I love you with all my heart, and after all we've been through, I wish we could do it all over again. Happy Anniversary, my Precious!

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/18/10 - 12:56 pm
Sarge ...That was soo sweet..

Sarge ...That was soo sweet.. In love still after all the years,, see it can be done!

Tots
Tots 04/18/10 - 01:02 pm
RoadKill hope your doing

RoadKill hope your doing fine.If in town, have some fun for both of us.Hope to catch up with you soon.

Sargebaby 04/18/10 - 02:14 pm
Thank you Seenit dear! It's

Thank you Seenit dear! It's the most enjoyable effort I've ever made! Only thing I would change would be to remove some personal heartbreaks! She has more than earned her name, "Precious!"

Nat the Cat
Nat the Cat 04/18/10 - 09:42 pm
Sarge, Thank you, and HAPPY

Sarge, Thank you, and HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!
Check your mail.

Nat the Cat
Nat the Cat 04/18/10 - 09:47 pm
And CrackerJack really

And CrackerJack really steamed Veggie--Let your clutch out!

Nat the Cat
Nat the Cat 04/18/10 - 09:55 pm
Sargebaby 04/18/10 - 10:02 pm
Ya beat me to it, Nat! Thank

Ya beat me to it, Nat! Thank you, three times (one for Precious). :o)

Monitor reports worsening Vogtle delays

Scheduling delays for two nuclear reactors under construction at Plant Vogtle are worsening, according to a report from a state-hired construction monitor.