The Chronicle's customer service and information blog

Idle Chatter

Off topic? Who needs a topic?

You can have your say about most anything at our new open-thread blog, Idle Chatter. This comment thread is specifically intended for conversations about lunch, atomic fusion, Santa Claus, pretty much whatever pops into your head.

We hope this will help solve a long-standing problem: the dreaded off-topic comment. People are chatting away under a story about, say unemployment numbers, and someone matter-of-factly mentions where they are going for lunch. Someone else replies, and before you know it, everyone is talking about lunch and no one is talking about unemployment. In moderation lingo this is called “hijacking a thread.”

We want our story comments to be topical. The threads read more easily, and pertinent comments enhance a story. But we also want our online customers to enjoy themselves. We are building an online community, and let’s face it, when any group gets together, not all conversation will be on topic
We’ve been gently nudging folks to the Rants & Raves for chatting, but this isn’t really a good fit either. One of our most prolific online posters suggested this “blog about nothing” as a possible solution.

This is an experiment. We aren’t entirely sure how it will work, so let us know how you like it. Feedback works here at the Chronicle.
A link to Idle Chatter can be found near the top of the Discussion page.

The same posting rules apply, so behave yourselves. As they used to say at the roller rink, it's an all-skate; have fun.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A commenter recently asked why Chronicle employees post comments under anonymous accounts.

The short answer is we do not. It is against company policy for employees to post comments anonymously. Any time you see a comment from one of us, you will see our real name and our photo. If you have any reason to believe this is not the case, let me know and I will investigate.

Reach Sean Moores at (706) 823-3448 or
sean.moores@augustachronicle.com

talk to us
Join the Reader Connection conversation at blogs.augusta.com.

• Syndicate content
Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 04/05/10 - 03:43 pm
What happened to the

What happened to the "Discussion" link in the green bar at the top of articles? The only way to get to it is back on the homepages.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/06/10 - 09:30 am
This is a good idea. Hey,

This is a good idea. Hey, sorry to keep asking questions about Sylvia Cooper's City Ink column, but the last column on Apr. 4, can't be found. The last one I see is the one from Mar. 27 about the "Sausage."

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/06/10 - 04:08 pm
Since there are no comments

Since there are no comments from Sean, why do I continue to think something is up with City Ink?

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 04/06/10 - 07:54 pm
Riverman, My guess is someone

Riverman, My guess is someone forgot to update the City Ink page. Here is the direct link.
I'm working long hours out at the course all week, but I'll try to get in touch with someone about fixing it.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/06/10 - 11:08 pm
Sean, you are busy, don't

Sean, you are busy, don't sweat it. You guys are doing a good job out there. Keep up the good work.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 04/20/10 - 08:02 am
Okay, here is a question for

Okay, here is a question for Sean (or Alan English): Often, the same news story gets posted under two or more files. That can become annoying if the article generates reader comments. If you would like to see what I am talking about, do a Chronicle search for “permanent disposal.” At this time, the top four articles are all the same story written by Rob Pavey about the depleted uranium that was supposed to go to Utah and then Texas, but is still sitting in Aiken County. All three stories are in the “latest-news/2010-04-13” directory, but they have different filenames. Here are the time stamps and the comments generated:

12:25 p.m. - - - - - 0 comments
12:26 p.m. - - - - - 0 comments
12:27 p.m. (updated at 5:26 p.m.) - - - - - 4 comments
no time stamp - - - - 1 comment

It seems it would be better to have the reporters and editors update the same file if changes have to be made rather than have all the drafts out there for all to see.

What is the rationale for multiple files of the same story?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Well, I posted this last Wednesday (April 14) - - and no reply yet. I'll repost and see if anybody reads it.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 05/19/10 - 01:39 pm
Sean, where are you? We need

Sean, where are you? We need you! Look for Email. Thanks!

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 05/19/10 - 02:03 pm
Sarge, I don't see an email.

Sarge, I don't see an email. What can I do for you

HENRY
HENRY 08/19/11 - 09:52 pm
How come the other day I

How come the other day I heard an interview on Foxie 103.1 with a guy named Blue Marley who is in a Lawsuit with Universal and Lil Wayne over the hit song "Bedrock" and no one locally has even covered it?? I goggled Young Moneys Bedrock Lawsuit and this thing is huge, yet Augusta has not covered it at all. Typical!!

kepdavis
kepdavis 11/11/11 - 03:13 pm
Happy Veteran’s Day! To all

Happy Veteran’s Day!

To all my colleagues at Eisenhower Army Medical Center, Ft. Gordon, and those who are currently deployed—I salute you!

I am a staff physician at Eisenhower and I am proud to continue to serve this nation. On this Veteran’s Day I would like to provide a bit of perspective regarding my continued service. I currently have 13 years of active duty service, and plan on completing a full career in the military. I began my military experience in 1989 upon entry into the University of Wisconsin-Madison Army ROTC program. My goal at the time was to gain financial support for college expenses. Through the years my reasons for continued service have matured. I continue as a military physician to demonstrate the meaning of service to my family; as a sense of honor and pride in the work that I am able to do; and to continue to give back to the country that afforded me the opportunity complete an undergraduate and medical education.

My grandfather was a dive-bomber in WWII. He was shot down twice in the Pacific Theater, but survived both incidents to fly in an air parade over Tokyo at the conclusion of the war. The pride that I have in his service is the same feeling that my children and family have when I returned home from two separate deployments to Iraq. My children are all in elementary school, and being able to participate in Veteran’s Day activities at their school demonstrates to them that it is special to have a family member in the military. I am teaching them that being a military physician is a noble profession. I have the opportunity to serve a patient population that other civilian physicians do not get the chance to care for. This becomes especially apparent during deployment. Caring for deployed soldiers is my highest honor. This year marks the last year I have of official payback to the military for both my undergraduate and medical school scholarships. However, I have already signed contracts to keep me in the Army for another 6 years in order to reach the twenty year mark. Of course there are stresses as an active duty soldier with deployments away from home, additional military requirements that may extend my duty day, and professional military education that may also take me away from home. But the balance to these hardships lies in the pride that I have in caring for other soldiers and serving my country. In these times, when there is a culture of others looking for government entitlements, it may sound clichéd, but I have learned that what President Kennedy said is true. It is nobler to ask what I can do for my country, rather than to ask what my country can do for me.

Please take the time to honor a Veteran today. Even a gesture as simple as a “Thank You” is well received. I remember waiting in the Atlanta airport to catch a flight to Texas for my first deployment to Iraq. I was in uniform traveling to Ft. Hood to meet up with the unit with which I was going to deploy. I heard someone call out my last name as I was waiting to board the flight. It took a few moments, but I realized that a young college-aged student was reading my name-tape. We made eye contact and he said, “Thanks for your service.” That simple message has remained with me until today, and is an important part of the story of my first deployment. The time you may take to pass that message on will be well-received.

LTC Kepler Davis, MD
Eisenhower Army Medical Center
Ft. Gordon, GA

The views expressed in this blog comment are those of
the author and do not reflect the official policy or
position of the Department of the Army, Department
of Defense, or the U.S. Government.

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 06/29/12 - 11:03 am
Saw this in The State

Saw this in The State newspaper (Columbia, SC) on June 22, 2012: "3 S.C. Guard soldiers killed, 5 injured in Afghanistan suicide bombing". This should be of particular relevance and concern to denizens of "Georgia-lina"

Read more here: http://www.thestate.com/2012/06/22/2326162/3-sc-guard-soldiers-killed-5-...

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 07/09/12 - 08:21 pm
Climate change and crop

Climate change and crop productive are closely interconnected. It is becoming imperative to have cropland under irrigation for a consistent yield. We are only now beginning to see the first effects of global climate change. There is more to come. Much more. Get ready. "GRAINS-Soybeans to record high, corn soars dry US weather" Reuters ~ 6 pm EDT Mon 09 July 2012 * Soybeans hit all-time high as dry... weather threatens yield * Corn hits 40-cent limit, contract highs on supply fears * USDA reports biggest weekly drop in corn ratings in 9 yrs * Wheat follows corn and soybeans higher By Julie Ingwersen CHICAGO, ... // "Past 12 months warmest ever recorded in United States" (CNN) http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/09/us/extreme-heat/index.html

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 07/10/12 - 07:47 pm
"Scientists attribute extreme

"Scientists attribute extreme weather to man-made climate change: Researchers have for the first time attributed recent floods, droughts and heatwaves, to human-induced climate change"

JohnRandolphHardisonCain