The Chronicle's customer service and information blog

Some questions answered

Hey everybody. I'm writing a weekly column now and they have been a little hard to find online. It's my fault; I'm new to this and didn't know they wouldn't magically appear in my Reader Connection blog area. Live and learn. If it makes you feel any better I couldn't find them either. From now on I'll post them as a blog on Friday.

Here are links to the first two. Both contain information our online commenters should read. If you want to comment on them it will make my life easier if you post under this blog posting. I will check them regardless, but the more spread out the comments the more apt I am to miss something.

Features invite debate on new "Chronicle" site

Comments policy will be enforced on web site

Now on to answers to some of the questions I've been getting the past couple of weeks.

There have been many complaints about our Forums section. The forums were not included when we moved to our new web site. While they're a very popular feature, as we set priorities to meet our start date, they did not make the cut. The old Forums are still active, but there are issues with that section that only a complete rebuild will fix. We will do it, but we have other priorities right now. Since we closed down the old site, there has been an authentication error when the Forums tried to communicate with our new site. This caused the Forums to either not recognize users as logged in or not recognize their account at all. We have fixed this problem so the Forums should work as they always have.

To reach the Circulation area on AugustaChronicle.com follow the "Home delivery and E-edition" link near the top right of our home page. Online subscription payment options are limited to new accounts for the time being. You can set up an EZ Pay option that will automatically bill your credit card when your subscription ends or renew your existing subscription by calling 706-722-5620 or toll free at 866-571-3161. You will also find links to request a vacation hold and other common Circulation questions. We are working with the Circulation Department to get an online subscription renewal option added; I will let you know when and if we are successful.

The deleted comment notification that appeared when we removed a comment on the old site is not a feature on the new site. Many commenters have requested its return, and we like it as well. This feature was not part of the original Drupal web platform and will need to be built by our web team. We are preparing a package of upgrades that we will unveil later this year. This should be included.

The Discussion page is a useful tool to follow the most recent online comments as well as the most active discussions on our web site. There is also an "older comments" link at the bottom of the page. There have been some issues with the latest comments disappearing lately. This is due to the fact that we have over 600,000 comments dating back to November 2006, that's right 600,000. When the page updates it automatically queries all old comments before displaying the 25 most recent. Depending on the speed of the site at any given time this causes the page to load before acquiring all comments. We changed the query. This should help to a certain degree, but we are still working on streamlining this area to solve the problem.

There is also an "older comments" link on all profile pages. I have been reminded repeatedly that this is not working. The truth is this link was added accidentally. The only fix we can implement right now is to remove the link which we will do in the next couple of weeks. That functionality will be part of our upgrade package.

The Obituaries link is found in the tan bar near the top of our home page. You can see today's list or browse the full text as well as sign online guest books. The default view includes all obituaries from the past 24 hours. There is also a pull-down menu that allows you to extend your search up to the past 30 days. To search older obituaries, use our site search at the top of our home page or use the "Find stories by date" link under "Topics" near the top of our home page which will allow you to see each day's obituaries. Comments are not allowed on obituaries.

Let me know if you have any ideas for a blog or column. I have already received a couple. As things calm down I will have time to blog more often. Have a good day. Keep on commenting.

• Syndicate content
Petey Aitchess
Petey Aitchess 02/25/10 - 10:44 pm

Thank you for the update, Sean.

"Hey, Dr, it hurts when I move my arm."
"I understand, just don't move it"

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 02/25/10 - 11:04 pm
Update noted, Sean.

Update noted, Sean.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 02/26/10 - 09:32 am
Dear Mr. Moores: 1. PLEASE,

Dear Mr. Moores:

1. PLEASE, PLEASE BLOG / COLUMN / WRITE NEWS ARTICLES ABOUT HOW VERY SLOW THE AIKEN COUNTY SCHOOL BOARD AND SCHOOL ADMINISTRATION ARE BEING ABOUT ISSUEING A SCHOOL BOND REFERENDUM AND (( GETTING FIRE / SAFETY / AND HEALTH CONCERNS REPAIRED )) IN THE 6 SCHOOLS "FLAGGED" AS IN MUCH NEED OF REPAIRS !!

2. How do I find THE ARCHIVES ?? Your "old soft-ware" was very, very user friendly as to how to find and use THE ARCHIVES !!

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 02/26/10 - 10:52 am
In the 3rd from last graf you

In the 3rd from last graf you say that the "older comments" issue will be dealt with later with an upgrade. Will that include restoring the individual user comments archive by article?

I also still plead for being able to click right to a specific comment from the "Discussion" page or a user's profile page. Some places don't include the time stamp.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/26/10 - 11:18 am
To Mr. or Ms. Bledsoe: To use

To Mr. or Ms. Bledsoe:

To use the archives, go to any "top-level" page and you will see the menu item Topics. Hover your mouse over "Topics" and you will see the sub-menu below. Click your mouse on Find stories by date and you will be on the Archives page. It looks very easy to use, but I haven't tried it yet.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 02/26/10 - 11:29 am
t3bledsoe, This isn't an

t3bledsoe, This isn't an topic that I would blog on. I will forward this request to the Editorial Dept. and a couple of reporters. We have two archive areas. One is under "Topics" near the top of the page "Find stories by date." Here is the link http://chronicle.augusta.com/archive. We also have a pay site http://augustaarchives.com/ that shows complete papers dating back to the 1780s.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 02/26/10 - 11:42 am
Fiat, The various sorting and

Fiat,
The various sorting and view options that were part of the old comments structure should be included in the upgrade later this year.
As for clicking directly to the comment itself as opposed to the story, that drives me crazy as well. It makes my job much more difficult. We're trying to get that fixed before the upgrade. If we can't it should be in the upgrade.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 02/26/10 - 12:01 pm
Ahhh.... Thank you, Sean.

Ahhh.... Thank you, Sean. What a difference that will make.

Petey Aitchess
Petey Aitchess 02/26/10 - 12:09 pm
Sean, are you aware that the

Sean, are you aware that the staff "faded kermit" background color no longer appears on the discussion pages comments listing? It used to be very easy to see what y'all had to say. Another case of removed useful functionality. "Thanks!"

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 02/26/10 - 12:21 pm
Petey, I logged in under a

Petey, I logged in under a test account and could see it. I'll check with the web guys though. Thanks.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 02/26/10 - 12:23 pm
Petey, I take that back. I

Petey, I take that back. I see what you mean now. I'll look into it.

Petey Aitchess
Petey Aitchess 02/26/10 - 12:33 pm
Sean, I'm actually on your

Sean, I'm actually on your side and trying to be helpful (most of the time, unless I throw a tantrum like yesterday). I appreciate your indulgence.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 02/26/10 - 01:06 pm
No problem Petey. I have

No problem Petey. I have thick skin.

Fiat, Adding that functionality back in is a direct result of feedback. If anyone has ideas on how to make the site better please let me know. I take all suggestions to the appropriate people. we may not be able to implement all of them, but they definitely get considered.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 02/26/10 - 01:19 pm
You're a prince, Sean. Hope

You're a prince, Sean. Hope you're having a good Great Lent.

Petey Aitchess
Petey Aitchess 02/26/10 - 01:58 pm
Sean, how come Sandra Day

Sean, how come Sandra Day Owen uses your personal email to send out warnings? Doesn't she have her own? I would think that even Old Billy would approve the "Social Media Editor" as deserving of her own account.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/26/10 - 02:20 pm
Hey, how about that Milton

Hey, how about that Milton Reuben Toyota drop down ad today? When you go to a page, the "Discussion" option is there. When the drop down ad rolls back up, it's gone! It's like a magician's cape. Now you see it, now you don't.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 02/26/10 - 02:39 pm
Petey, Much to my dismay, any

Petey, Much to my dismay, any time anyone sends out a warning my email is listed as the sender. Originally it was "webmaster," but for reasons I don't care to get into it was decided that my email should be used instead.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 02/26/10 - 02:42 pm
Little Lamb, I can't make it

Little Lamb, I can't make it repeat the problem. Is this every page or just the home page?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/26/10 - 04:26 pm
Take look at this page.

Take look at this page. Somebody already corrected it on the home page by moving the ad from the right side to the left side. But as of this post, it's still doing in on this page. It's not annoying. Actually, it's kind of fun.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 02/26/10 - 04:34 pm
I see Little Lamb.

I see Little Lamb. Unfortunately I can't get rid of those ads. Us journalists have to eat.

Kettle donations rise in 2014