The Chronicle's customer service and information blog

Don't be shy: Speak up

Hello, everybody,

Welcome to my new blog. I’ll use this to address comment-management and customer-service issues and also as a forum for whatever strikes my fancy. I’ll try to solve some common problems and answer readers’ questions in addition to giving you a glimpse into how we do our jobs.

If you have a topic you would like me to consider, click on my avatar or on the “help” link at the top right of any page to see my contact information. If you have a question but don’t want it to appear here, just let me know and I’ll respond privately.

I hope it won’t be entirely utilitarian. I’ll try to come up with some interesting sidebars to keep things lively.

I want this to be a collaborative effort, so don’t be shy: Speak up.

The big thing this week is, of course, the debut of our new Web site and the start of our more aggressive comment moderation. As you all know, we still have some glitches bouncing around: links that take you to error messages, Richmond County Neighbors not up yet, and the most popular stories box nowhere to be found -- just to name a few.

The good news is that Innovation Director Jonathan Dozier and his team are working long hours fixing these problems. Every time you tell me about another bug their list gets longer, so let’s keep it up. I guess that’s job security.

Comment moderation appears to be going well (or maybe not; I’m confident that you will let me know). This is a learning process for our moderation team. We will make mistakes, I promise. Bear with us, and we should have some consistency soon.

The hood’s open and the tuneup continues. Please give us as much feedback as possible so we can get it right.

My next post will try to answer some of your avatar questions. Don’t worry; I will seek out expert advice.

Keep on posting -- and play nice.

• Syndicate content
happychimer
19396
happychimer 02/02/10 - 04:06 pm
Sean the bullying is back up

Sean the bullying is back up and going strong. I make a comment, and certain ones come out attacking me. They want me to have a mental evaluation, and to be pushed into ongoing traffic. I want to know if you plan on putting a stop to such bullying.

BetanInyoe
BetanInyoe 02/02/10 - 04:53 pm
This will be a good test

This will be a good test since neither of those things was said. Words mean things. I trust Sean's comprehension skills as a professional journalist. We'll see, won't we? Don't worry, I'm not editing my posts....they are as they stand.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 02/02/10 - 05:30 pm
seenitB4, I think we will be

seenitB4, I think we will be able to jazz up the appearance a little bit. Once things calm down I'll look into it.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 02/02/10 - 05:42 pm
Happychimer and BetanInyoue,

Happychimer and BetanInyoue, I can't leave you kids alone for a minute. I was writing a new blog post this afternoon and didn't keep up with all the comments. There were others moderating , but I'll go have a look.

Zoe, I actually deleted that post. It's one of those words that can be a term of endearment or an insult. If we're unsure we'll probably pull it.

Be nice to each other everybody. You don't have to agree. Just present your opinions in a nice manner.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 02/02/10 - 05:46 pm
Hey everybody, I have a new

Hey everybody, I have a new blog posting going up right now. Take a look and see what you think.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/02/10 - 06:00 pm
Just a meessage to zoe,,,U

Just a meessage to zoe,,,U don't have to comment Sean.. You have called others stupid on here, or their post was stupid so U also do some name calling.. I have asked U to just ignore my posts because U find soo much fault..So we have the pot calling the kettle ,, well U know..

happychimer
19396
happychimer 02/02/10 - 07:37 pm
I see it is going to be the

I see it is going to be the same old same old on here. It is not going to get any better. Sean and the others at AC will continue to allow bullying and call me a kid for reporting it. I think the shoe is on the other foot. I am not a kid, and I resent being called a kid in that manner. You post policy for posting, then don't enforce it. I see that will not change.That is sad and very unprofessional.

corgimom
corgimom 02/02/10 - 09:52 pm
This is a whine-free zone!

This is a whine-free zone! "They're being mean to me"- the K kids tell me that all the time. And then they get told to quit whining.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 02/02/10 - 11:15 pm
Happychimer,, I certainly

Happychimer,, I certainly didn't mean that in any unkind way. I was just trying to lighten the mood a little. We are deleting abusive posts and we will continue to. Give us little time. It's very difficult deciding where banter ends and bullying begins. We'll get better at it and in the weeks to come you'll see improvement.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 02/02/10 - 11:20 pm
This really is disgusting

This really is disgusting whining. Nobody is doing any bullying that I've seen today, but if someone is smug or arrogant, they are getting their heads handed to them, and without any threats, name calling or "bullying". Bad reasoning doesn't cut it and no one should expect special "protection" from being taken to task for putting up nutty or ridiculous statements, or for acting like a jerk in public.

veritas14
veritas14 02/02/10 - 11:23 pm
Happychimer doesn't seem too

Happychimer doesn't seem too happy today.

happychimer
19396
happychimer 02/02/10 - 11:49 pm
Sean I hope you are right. I

Sean I hope you are right. I will give you some time to sort it out. As you can see, everytime I post a comment, certain ones group together and attack me. I enjoy posting sometimes, and nobody should be ridiculed and bullied. I could post that the sky is blue, and at least 5 people would attack me with hateful comments, which is against policy.. That is wrong, and you know it.

BetanInyoe
BetanInyoe 02/03/10 - 12:23 am
Thanks, Fiat. I don't think I

Thanks, Fiat. I don't think I can be accused of bullying if I let others state the obvious.

Nat the Cat
Nat the Cat 02/03/10 - 01:13 am
Sean, Fiat_Lux {Warning

Sean,

Fiat_Lux {Warning Light?}
The Monday, Feb 1st., at 8:42 P.M. Post is "on the money."

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 02/03/10 - 06:53 am
Nat, not "warning" but "let

Nat, not "warning" but "let there be".

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 02/03/10 - 06:58 am
Also, regarding that earlier

Also, regarding that earlier post of suggestions, I have "discovered" that the "Latest Updates" option under the "News" tab gives that nice list of articles with the number of comments. (I still would like to see such a list of headlines w/ comment numbers as a sidebar to articles.)

It's getting there.

BetanInyoe
BetanInyoe 02/03/10 - 07:13 am
A happy thought for the

A happy thought for the morning. "The squeaky wheel doesn't always get the grease, sometimes it gets replaced." Y'all play nice now, ya hear?

Troubled1
Troubled1 02/03/10 - 07:15 am
hey sean, can we call you

hey sean, can we call you "daddy" now since you apparently get to be the one that people whine to when they are throwing their tantrums?

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 02/03/10 - 07:43 am
Troubled, try the other side

Troubled, try the other side of the bed.

fishman960
fishman960 02/03/10 - 08:56 am
Maybe we can call Sean "Papa

Maybe we can call Sean "Papa Sean"

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/03/10 - 09:23 am
Fishman,, I was just

Fishman,, I was just wondering if this is where we register for pre-school......Boy SM I sure don't want your job,, hope U have a lot of stamina because U will need it with these not so fluffy bunnies.& also some good vitamins.. lol

BetanInyoe
BetanInyoe 02/03/10 - 03:26 pm
Okay, can all the "new" news

Okay, can all the "new" news be put under one place on the home/main page? Right now as I am typing this, there are at least 4 different sub-catagories with new items in them: "Latest News", "Latest Updates", "Lynx" and "Sports". Can they all be put together in one and free up the other space on that page for "most recently commented on" perhaps? I still can't figure out the difference in "Latest News" and "Latest Updates" other than the stories contained in them are different.

JustLilMe
JustLilMe 02/04/10 - 05:41 am
As an old AOL message board

As an old AOL message board moderator (all those years ago!)we worked on the premise that one certainly could debate the topic (often heatedly!) without insulting the poster. That said.. I can't believe the whining I'm reading here "They're picking on meeeeeeeeeeeeee!" So insult the ideas but not the poster, no matter how tempting that may be..... Should be interesting to see how AC handles this. LOL

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 02/04/10 - 03:45 pm
I offer

I offer http://chronicle.augusta.com/users/justthefacts as a model for commenting appropriately on just how stupid some posting really is. Humor, gentle irony or sarcasm and a LIGHT touch are genuine virtues in the world of online forums.

agib1
agib1 02/10/10 - 03:00 pm
whatever happened to the 50%

whatever happened to the 50% off certificates you listed for online purchase ...to venues such as Rhinehart's, Steak Out, etc..?

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 02/15/10 - 01:22 pm
Hi Sean, well, here it is,

Hi Sean, well, here it is, February 15th (my wife's birthday), and the forum is practically nonexistant. The only thing operaring fairly well, are the Discussions, and I usually take a nap while waiting to get to a new rant or rave. I hope someone is working on the problem, but I just remembered, it's a Fed. holiday. I guess we'll have to wait until tomorrow to see if the "kinks" are smoothed out! See ya!

Chillen
Chillen 07/10/10 - 07:34 pm
Love the ignore button. But,

Love the ignore button. But, it doesn't work in the discussion tab.

Lilith Lovett
Lilith Lovett 11/09/12 - 07:17 am
Check into this: I posted it

Check into this: I posted it under an article about Veterans Court. It's a cleverly disguised PR machine that puts lives in danger!!! Trust me!

Oh, don't worry. They're creating them here in Columbia. Easy!
Yeah, Richard Blaney was arrested March 7 in Columbia for stabbing his wife three times in their kitchen. She would have died had her very tall, broad-shouldered 15yo son by her late husband (an attorney, ironically) been home and stopped him while she lay in a ever-growing pool of her own blood.

The investigators? Attempted murder. Cut and dried.

BUT....Richard is a Vietnam Veteran with PTSD, TBI, bipolar disorder, dissociative episodes, and major issues with alcohol. And this wasn't his first CDV-related arrest. He's been pulling knives on Lisa for several years. The latest had been him destroying a cell phone over her head as he held her against the wall and choked her.

She tried to find a shelter, but none there take boys over 12. She was STUCK.

So, she was stitched up and coming to grips with what happened, including her newly acquired PTSD, when she got a most interesting phone call Monday. Rick was pleading guilty in Veterans Court.

She stayed up ALL night trying to get someone in the media to listen. To find out ANYTHING. ATTEMPTED MURDER IS SPECIFICALLY EXCLUDED.

In fact, she has a relative serving 19 for stealing a gun in a home robbery in SC (federal offense and violent crime).

She found out the morning of court that her assistant solicitor, April Sampson HAD LET RICK PLEAD DOWN TO ASSAULT, WHICH, COINCIDENTALLY, FALLS UNDER THE JURISDICTION OF, YES ***VETERAN'S COURT***

He plead guilty, got a GPS tracker, and, last I heard, was on the way to Aiken!

Have fun with this Veteran's Court crap they are pulling over your eyes!!! You're in danger! misdemeanor-making machine: (and she is ME!!)

Georgia Regents' hospital plan chosen