The Chronicle's customer service and information blog

Don't be shy: Speak up

Hello, everybody,

Welcome to my new blog. I’ll use this to address comment-management and customer-service issues and also as a forum for whatever strikes my fancy. I’ll try to solve some common problems and answer readers’ questions in addition to giving you a glimpse into how we do our jobs.

If you have a topic you would like me to consider, click on my avatar or on the “help” link at the top right of any page to see my contact information. If you have a question but don’t want it to appear here, just let me know and I’ll respond privately.

I hope it won’t be entirely utilitarian. I’ll try to come up with some interesting sidebars to keep things lively.

I want this to be a collaborative effort, so don’t be shy: Speak up.

The big thing this week is, of course, the debut of our new Web site and the start of our more aggressive comment moderation. As you all know, we still have some glitches bouncing around: links that take you to error messages, Richmond County Neighbors not up yet, and the most popular stories box nowhere to be found -- just to name a few.

The good news is that Innovation Director Jonathan Dozier and his team are working long hours fixing these problems. Every time you tell me about another bug their list gets longer, so let’s keep it up. I guess that’s job security.

Comment moderation appears to be going well (or maybe not; I’m confident that you will let me know). This is a learning process for our moderation team. We will make mistakes, I promise. Bear with us, and we should have some consistency soon.

The hood’s open and the tuneup continues. Please give us as much feedback as possible so we can get it right.

My next post will try to answer some of your avatar questions. Don’t worry; I will seek out expert advice.

Keep on posting -- and play nice.

• Syndicate content
BetanInyoe
BetanInyoe 02/01/10 - 12:02 pm
MomInRC - After doing those

MomInRC - After doing those steps, your next step needs to be hit the refresh tab on your browser (F5 also works on most browsers). The "save" doesn't automatically refresh the page, it's a legacy problem with the AC that unfortunately migrated.

fishman960
fishman960 02/01/10 - 12:25 pm
In the old site, there was an

In the old site, there was an application that allowed you to enter one's screen name to get to their comments. Now as I can tell, you have to wait for them to post something to get to their postings. Will this feature return?

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 02/01/10 - 12:43 pm
BetanInyoe, I will never be

BetanInyoe, I will never be tired of the feedback...or at least I won't show it. The problems people are seeing on the site also extend to the moderation module that we are using. I am trying to send emails when we delete a comment, but there is not a handy one-stop way to do it in the new software.. That means that if I am busy I may not have time to go through all the steps at that minute. Your point is well taken though. I will send more warning emails. Please follow my blog this week. I will be writing on this issue. A word like homey can be used as a term of affection or as an insult. I'm afraid there will always be some problems in these gray areas. I'm giving it some thought, I promise.
keep that feedback coming. we love it.

BetanInyoe
BetanInyoe 02/01/10 - 12:46 pm
Sean, don't worry about me,

Sean, don't worry about me, I'm not running off. Just throwing stuff out there for consideration. I know it can't be fixed in 5 minutes. But the Herschel Walker fight story still hasn't shown up that I can find....that could have been fixed in 5 mins or even in today's edition if the sports desk took the weekend off.

MomInRC
MomInRC 02/01/10 - 12:53 pm
I guess I'm doing something

I guess I'm doing something wrong. The new picture never shows up at all. I've tried delete old, upload new, refresh. Delete old, refresh, upload new, refresh. No matter which order, the old one comes up like a bad penny instead of the new one. LOL

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 02/01/10 - 12:55 pm
MomInRC, BetanInyoe beat me

MomInRC, BetanInyoe beat me to the punch. His advice is good. refresh.

Fishman960, You should be able to search for usernames in the main Chronicle search window. Unfortunately this is not working right now; I just checked. I've passed that on to the powers that be. it is not exactly like it was on the old site. You will only see the last five comments on the avatar page for example. We will need to build that functionality into the new site. It is coming.
Thanks

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 02/01/10 - 01:02 pm
BetanInyoe I appreciate your

BetanInyoe I appreciate your patience. I keep saying this, but we really are keeping a list of all these suggestions. They will be considered, and from what I am hearing most of them should be doable. I called the Sports desk yesterday about the Herschel story and was told he was posting as soon as we got off the phone. Don't judge us too harshly right now. The layout people are learning how to do this and there may have been a mistake. The other possibility is they put it into "Overtime" which is the sports briefs section.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 02/01/10 - 01:04 pm
MomInRC, I'm going to lunch

MomInRC, I'm going to lunch right now. Call me this afternoon if you have time and I will try you talk you through it. Click on my avatar to see my contact information.

MomInRC
MomInRC 02/01/10 - 01:07 pm
Thanks. Maybe I'll have it

Thanks. Maybe I'll have it figured out by then.

BetanInyoe
BetanInyoe 02/01/10 - 02:13 pm
MomInRC - I'll take pity on

MomInRC - I'll take pity on Sean because he really appears to be trying. If you are using an image that is stored on your computer (vice just putting in a web URL) that you have previously used (or attempted to), you will need to take an extra step. After you have cleared out any existing image on your profile edit page and refreshed. Go to where the image you want to use is saved on your computer and rename it (right click on the image for the menu list). Once you have renamed it, go back to the profile edit page then select it with the new name and follow the rest of the steps. I'll be watching for the update.

BetanInyoe
BetanInyoe 02/01/10 - 02:28 pm
There ya go! You are welcome.

There ya go! You are welcome. For you it's free, vice the $39.95 per call that I get for tech support. Sean just owes me lunch....

Hmmm, what happened? I saw it update, was it not the one you wanted?

MomInRC
MomInRC 02/01/10 - 02:28 pm
If your last post is

If your last post is referring to an avatar of mine popping up, it's the one I'm trying to change! LOL I've gone so far as to delete the old pic from my computer because it was a resized version for avatar purposes. It still is bringing it up. The new one has yet to come up. This is nuts. I appreciate your helping me. I'll get it.

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 02/01/10 - 02:34 pm
MominRC, the picture you are

MominRC, the picture you are uploading has to be of a certain pixel size. Before I found this peace symbol I tried uploading a synergy symbol and was told it did not have enough pixels. Scroll up and down the page when your upload fails to make sure that you are not getting some feedback instructions in red letters about required pixel size.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 02/01/10 - 02:37 pm
OK MomInRC, Try this. Go to

OK MomInRC, Try this. Go to your profile page. Load the picture you want. Click "save" at the bottom. When it takes you back to your profile page hit Control and F5. This is from the highest authority available to me.

MomInRC
MomInRC 02/01/10 - 02:38 pm
I actually made a resized

I actually made a resized copy to use for this purpose. It's under 500x500 pixels (500 kb) and over 210x210 pixels. There should be no problem with that. It's like it won't disengage from the first picture I used to upload the second one. It just brings up the first over and over, which is no longer on my computer, even after deleting it via the edit page.

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 02/01/10 - 02:39 pm
Bentan, love the new avatar!

Bentan, love the new avatar! It suits you. lol

BetanInyoe
BetanInyoe 02/01/10 - 02:40 pm
Do you want the kid in the

Do you want the kid in the water or the kid in the beach? I can see both of them from here.

MomInRC
MomInRC 02/01/10 - 02:41 pm
Sean, I've done exactly that,

Sean, I've done exactly that, which is why it's so frustrating. I did what you and BetanInyoe have said with refreshing, changing the name of my new pic, everything. Once I think the first pic is cleared via delete, save, refresh, the minute I attempt to upload the new pic, it's the old one that comes up, even when refreshing again.

MomInRC
MomInRC 02/01/10 - 02:43 pm
The one with the dark-haired

The one with the dark-haired girl collecting shells. It's the same child, but more recent. I want to get rid of the one with the hat. I only see that one.

BetanInyoe
BetanInyoe 02/01/10 - 02:45 pm
Mom - Clear your broswer

Mom - Clear your broswer cache, it should be under tools > internet options depending on which browser you are using. If you tell me "AOL", then the clock starts and it's $79.95 for 1st 30 mins and $140/hr (still less than Geek Squad) after that...LOL

fishman960
fishman960 02/01/10 - 02:47 pm
Success!

Success!

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 02/01/10 - 02:48 pm
The web site is caching all

The web site is caching all the avatar info. You can try clearing yours, but that shouldn't have any effect. Didi you hit Control and f5 or just f5?

MomInRC
MomInRC 02/01/10 - 02:49 pm
I did that about an hour ago

I did that about an hour ago and it didn't work, but somehow your presence must've helped because I did nothing different just now, thanks. Thirtieth time's the charm!

BetanInyoe
BetanInyoe 02/01/10 - 02:49 pm
Mom - Don't touch anything!

Mom - Don't touch anything! Give it time to catch up! The correct one is displaying. Your profile page will catch up in a few.

BetanInyoe
BetanInyoe 02/01/10 - 02:50 pm
Sean, where are ya taking us

Sean, where are ya taking us for lunch?

MomInRC
MomInRC 02/01/10 - 02:49 pm
Thanks everybody!

Thanks everybody!

SuzyQ
SuzyQ 02/01/10 - 03:02 pm
Sean: first of all- are ya

Sean: first of all- are ya crazy? telling US to speak up and don't be shy? have you read this blog? LOL- Question: Maybe I missed it but can you tell me where the home (front page) button is and not the one to purchase homes? Thanks

BetanInyoe
BetanInyoe 02/01/10 - 03:04 pm
SuzyQ - Just click on the

SuzyQ - Just click on the fancy "The Augusta Chronicle" banner that's on the top of every page.

BetanInyoe
BetanInyoe 02/01/10 - 03:10 pm
Sean, for your notebook. F5

Sean, for your notebook. F5 refreshes the page, Cntl-F5 clears the browser cache while refreshing the page on most traditional browsers. Heck, I'll hush, Jonothan gets paid to teach you this stuff.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 02/01/10 - 03:15 pm
BetanInyoe and SuzYQ, You're

BetanInyoe and SuzYQ, You're answering these questions faster than I can get to them. Yes, the masthead will always take you to the home page. There is also a home link on the green date bar at the top. I don't think I can afford lunch for everybody. I have to get by on a meager journalist salary. We can all go dutch.