The Chronicle's customer service and information blog

Don't be shy: Speak up

Hello, everybody,

Welcome to my new blog. I’ll use this to address comment-management and customer-service issues and also as a forum for whatever strikes my fancy. I’ll try to solve some common problems and answer readers’ questions in addition to giving you a glimpse into how we do our jobs.

If you have a topic you would like me to consider, click on my avatar or on the “help” link at the top right of any page to see my contact information. If you have a question but don’t want it to appear here, just let me know and I’ll respond privately.

I hope it won’t be entirely utilitarian. I’ll try to come up with some interesting sidebars to keep things lively.

I want this to be a collaborative effort, so don’t be shy: Speak up.

The big thing this week is, of course, the debut of our new Web site and the start of our more aggressive comment moderation. As you all know, we still have some glitches bouncing around: links that take you to error messages, Richmond County Neighbors not up yet, and the most popular stories box nowhere to be found -- just to name a few.

The good news is that Innovation Director Jonathan Dozier and his team are working long hours fixing these problems. Every time you tell me about another bug their list gets longer, so let’s keep it up. I guess that’s job security.

Comment moderation appears to be going well (or maybe not; I’m confident that you will let me know). This is a learning process for our moderation team. We will make mistakes, I promise. Bear with us, and we should have some consistency soon.

The hood’s open and the tuneup continues. Please give us as much feedback as possible so we can get it right.

My next post will try to answer some of your avatar questions. Don’t worry; I will seek out expert advice.

Keep on posting -- and play nice.

• Syndicate content
fishman960
fishman960 01/30/10 - 01:19 pm
Sean, I was just perusing the

Sean, I was just perusing the discussion page and noticed that my last comment above has a time stamp of 7:05 on that page but 12:05 on this thread. Minor glitch? Anyway, I felt that I should bring that to your attention.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 01/30/10 - 01:33 pm
We've noticed the time

We've noticed the time problems too. I think the way it works is they get a bunch of little fixes and push them through at the same time. Stay tuned.

Chigger Hill Man
Chigger Hill Man 01/30/10 - 02:56 pm
New format is better, but

New format is better, but would like to see the "Sports on TV" section back. I'm sure you will get to it

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 01/30/10 - 03:25 pm
Sean, i know some people have

Sean, i know some people have figured out how to delete comments, as in the case of double posting something, but I haven't. Can you give me directions for doing that?

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/30/10 - 04:02 pm
I would say 70% of us are

I would say 70% of us are fuzzy little bunnies,,,now watch sean U just gave someone a new screen name..lol

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 01/30/10 - 04:55 pm
The wolves ate most of the

The wolves ate most of the fuzzy little bunnies.....

Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 01/30/10 - 05:05 pm
burp

burp

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/30/10 - 06:29 pm
AYE ,,, YOU are soo funny,,

AYE ,,, YOU are soo funny,, at 405pm. You are the wolf.

fcolley
fcolley 01/30/10 - 11:18 pm
Any chance the Chronicle will

Any chance the Chronicle will resume delivery in the 29847 zip code?

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 01/30/10 - 11:48 pm
Chigger Hill, I haven't

Chigger Hill, I haven't specifically asked but I'm petty sure that will be back.

Fiat, That's news to me.

fcolley, I haven't heard that we are going to restart service in any of our old delivery areas.

I'll check on all of these Monday.

BetanInyoe
BetanInyoe 01/31/10 - 02:36 am
It looks as if "Rants and

It looks as if "Rants and Raves" was "forgotten" for the 31 Jan online edition. SSDD.

BetanInyoe
BetanInyoe 01/31/10 - 06:15 am
The R&R was added later. All

The R&R was added later. All is good now. I apologize for the false alarm.

bettyboop
bettyboop 01/31/10 - 07:47 am
Sean thanks for taking the

Sean thanks for taking the time to explain about the picture..(LOL it was rather large)....and yes the not so fuzzy of us could cause major havoc with that "awesome power".........................but pre-approval could work.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/31/10 - 10:10 am
Being the Internet user I am,

Being the Internet user I am, I have suggested in the past the AC should move to this blog type concept where the story develops as readers become integral parts of the article. There is more that could be done in this area such as private instant messaging between commenters on a story when they are both online making comments. An always open chatroom with the article writer present some of the time is another thing some use. Plus, e-mails between posters should be easier. Just things to think about for the future because I know you guys are busy as all get out now.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 01/31/10 - 10:52 am
Riverman, I like the idea of

Riverman, I like the idea of the writer being present to answer questions when possible. I can think of a few who might be willing to do it right away. I'll check Monday. There is more connectivity built into the new web site. Once we get all the broken links fixed, we can start fine tuning based on all of your feedback. We want this site to be a portal for contact with your friends, other parts of the web and other social media. As well as a good and reliable source of information of all types. I like your ideas. I'm expecting our new site to get better and better.

BetanInyoe
BetanInyoe 01/31/10 - 12:58 pm
How about nudging the weekend

How about nudging the weekend sports desk and getting a story on Herschel Walker winning his 1st professional MMA fight last night? There were AC stories and numerous interested comments on his preparations for it.

Jake
Jake 01/31/10 - 03:31 pm
After a lot of trial and

After a lot of trial and error the picture thing finally clicked in but man was it a hassle.

Back to story
Back to story 01/31/10 - 05:31 pm
Sean I thought that I'd make

Sean I thought that I'd make it easy for you to spot which group that I fall into.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 01/31/10 - 05:51 pm
BetanInyoe, The Walker fight

BetanInyoe, The Walker fight story should be in Sports in a few minutes.

Jake, Sorry for the trouble. Glad it finally worked. Nice avatar photo.

Back to story, You have to live up to that picture now. There's no going back.

Jake
Jake 01/31/10 - 06:37 pm
In the past I have subscribed

In the past I have subscribed to the Augusta Chronicle Archives for a week or month at a time. I am not having any luck in finding that feature in the new format. Is it still available? If it is, I would like to encourage other readers out there to take advantage of it. It is photographs of the actual page of the paper, starting from the early 1800's. Well worth the money.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 01/31/10 - 06:55 pm
You got me Jake. I can't find

You got me Jake. I can't find it either. I know it's not going away. I'll put this on my Monday list. We're looking to build more databases similar to the ones for restaurants and salaries.

BetanInyoe
BetanInyoe 02/01/10 - 10:09 am
If the AC staff never

If the AC staff never explains why seemingly innocuous and innocent posts are being deleted, the "yet to be determined" guidelines have a ZERO chance of working unless y'all just ban comments all together. I thought part of this "new and improved" process is feedback. Y'all got some convincing to do still.

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 02/01/10 - 10:41 am
Sean, there is no link

Sean, there is no link anywhere on The Chronicle online to The Forum that either I or a fellow Forumite named Searcher can find. Is this an oversight, or is the Forum being relegated to use only by those who have it bookmarked already? I suspect the former.

Also The Forum still has bugs. I get a debug message following many of my posts. My posts are showing up online but don't rise to the top line as the most recently posted entry until I find the topic and click on it again.

MomInRC
MomInRC 02/01/10 - 10:42 am
Can anyone tell me why after

Can anyone tell me why after deleting my old avatar and putting in the info to a new one, once I hit save, either there is no picture at all or it brings back the old one I just deleted?

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 02/01/10 - 10:47 am
BetanInyoe, We honestly don't

BetanInyoe, We honestly don't have a lot of consistency right now. All the moderators are using their best judgment on what is a violation. As we meet and discuss the reasoning behind what we delete or leave, we should become more consistent. Personal opinion will always come into play though. My blogs this week will try to explain what raises red flags that can lead to deletion. Bear with us. We're trying to figure this out as we go along.

CaptainThomas
CaptainThomas 02/01/10 - 11:18 am
'Twould have been nice if

'Twould have been nice if ye'd give us a mite of warning afore ye scuttled the old forum, mate. Mayhap some of us could have arranged to rendey voo somewheres else.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 02/01/10 - 11:19 am
JRHC, The Forums are working

JRHC, The Forums are working with a few problems. The link is not up on our page yet, but I think they are doing it now. We will work the bugs out as soon as we can. Here is the direct link for use now. http://forums.augusta.com

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 02/01/10 - 11:24 am
MomInRC, I think you need to

MomInRC, I think you need to delete the old photo, click save, and then upload the new one and click save again. Try this and let me know.

CaptainThomas, we thought the Forums would just migrate onto the new site. they didn't, so we had to manually move them fixing problems as we went. Look at my previous post for a direct link. we'll have it taken care of soon

BetanInyoe
BetanInyoe 02/01/10 - 11:28 am
Sean, I appreciate your

Sean, I appreciate your feedback and interaction. This is something that has not previously existed on these pages without the last resort of emailing Mr English directly with a cc to the "webmasters". May I offer a suggestion while the "assertive moderation" guidelines are refined? Would it be possible for the "moderator" who removes a comment to take 10 or 15 secs to send a 1 or 2 line email to the "offender"? I think something as basic as "your post was removed for using the word 'homey'" would be met by a "Okay, I won't do that again, thanks!" reaction by the vast majority of posters. If there is some dispute, then the "offender" has the opportunity to provide private feedback that your staff will be able to use in their deliberations. You asked for the feedback, man. Just let us know when you are tired of it.

MomInRC
MomInRC 02/01/10 - 11:43 am
I've done that repeatedly. It

I've done that repeatedly. It comes back as having no pic after deletion, but then when I try to upload the new one, it brings back the old one! I even tried signing out and back into the site to see if there was a glitch somehow.