The Chronicle's customer service and information blog

Don't be shy: Speak up

Hello, everybody,

Welcome to my new blog. I’ll use this to address comment-management and customer-service issues and also as a forum for whatever strikes my fancy. I’ll try to solve some common problems and answer readers’ questions in addition to giving you a glimpse into how we do our jobs.

If you have a topic you would like me to consider, click on my avatar or on the “help” link at the top right of any page to see my contact information. If you have a question but don’t want it to appear here, just let me know and I’ll respond privately.

I hope it won’t be entirely utilitarian. I’ll try to come up with some interesting sidebars to keep things lively.

I want this to be a collaborative effort, so don’t be shy: Speak up.

The big thing this week is, of course, the debut of our new Web site and the start of our more aggressive comment moderation. As you all know, we still have some glitches bouncing around: links that take you to error messages, Richmond County Neighbors not up yet, and the most popular stories box nowhere to be found -- just to name a few.

The good news is that Innovation Director Jonathan Dozier and his team are working long hours fixing these problems. Every time you tell me about another bug their list gets longer, so let’s keep it up. I guess that’s job security.

Comment moderation appears to be going well (or maybe not; I’m confident that you will let me know). This is a learning process for our moderation team. We will make mistakes, I promise. Bear with us, and we should have some consistency soon.

The hood’s open and the tuneup continues. Please give us as much feedback as possible so we can get it right.

My next post will try to answer some of your avatar questions. Don’t worry; I will seek out expert advice.

Keep on posting -- and play nice.

• Syndicate content
Boogaloo
Boogaloo 01/29/10 - 06:58 pm
Sean, thanks for being a

Sean, thanks for being a presence during this time of transition. I have not had much trouble (yet) navigating through the change but your help and ear for the ones that have is really appreciated. Up to this point there has not, with the exception of Mike Ryan, been any direct contact between the Chronicle and it's online readers so it is refreshing to have your attention along with some of the others on the Chronicle staff.

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 01/29/10 - 07:06 pm
Hey Sean, I don't see your

Hey Sean, I don't see your avatar yet, but I do see your photo when I click on the "help" link in the top right corner. Unlike many Frequently Asked Questions help sections that aren't user friendly, yours seems to answer a lot of common questions, and I see that you are making yourself accessible to online readers. That's good!

I wish you "good luck" reining in wayward posters. As I wrote in Alan English's blog, I don't think that moderators can do much to raise the intelligence level of posters or alter the deplorable level to which "civil debate" has sunk in this country. I will be happy to be proved wrong.

My question about the blog format is this: I don't see where a blogger has the ability to "tag" key words in his/her post so that he/she or others can pull up previous related blogs that get buried in sequential manner as days pass by. Are there any provisions to put "tags" on blogs so they can be indexed, researched, or accessed in a user-friendly manner? I hope my question is straight forward and understandable. Thanks.

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 01/29/10 - 07:09 pm
Here's another question,

Here's another question, Sean. Is it possible to get back printed copies of Applause magazine? I'm interested in obtaining a few copies of the January 7, 2010 edition of Applause.

fishman960
fishman960 01/29/10 - 07:25 pm
Sean, I think that you and

Sean, I think that you and the team are doing a great job during this transition. However, not having the information about who violated what is kinda boring. Yesterday bettyboop posted a pic of bettyboop in the comment area. It was promptly removed with no explanation. Other comments that have been removed without informing the posters is somewhat anticlimatic in that some want to see what poster has had their mouth shut by y'all. I know that this is a work in progress, but at the same time all the excitement is gone. Just my 2 cents for you.

Sean Moores 01/29/10 - 07:56 pm
Fishman, the "this comment

Fishman, the "this comment removed" line will be returning soon. I'll answer your bettyboop question in my next blog post.
Have a good weekend.

fishman960
fishman960 01/29/10 - 07:59 pm
Thanks, Sean for responding

Thanks, Sean for responding to me. I'm not sure that us posters are use to that.

Sean Moores 01/29/10 - 08:20 pm
No prob. JRHC Call our

No prob.
JRHC Call our Circulation Dept 706-722-5620. You can order back issues of the paper there. You will probably have to buy that day's entire paper, but Applause will be in it.

Sean Moores 01/29/10 - 08:28 pm
JHRC 2, Bad choice of words.

JHRC 2, Bad choice of words. We don't run avatar photos on the blog itself. The one next to my posts should work though.
we're coming up with more FAQs. If anyone has one let me know.
We want to take care of our online community; they're the future.
Let me research your blog question. I'll have to get back to you Monday.

Sean Moores 01/29/10 - 08:34 pm
Boogaloo, Thank you thank

Boogaloo, Thank you thank you. The comment moderation team will be in contact with posters regularly. I'm going to start prodding reporters into commenting on their stories - answering questions, clearing up misconceptions. We'll see how THAT goes.

Jake
Jake 01/29/10 - 09:34 pm
Hello Sean, thanks for your

Hello Sean, thanks for your daily input. I am still not able to post the photo that I would like to and it isn't a matter of size. The original photo still shows up no matter what I try to post. I know you guys have a few issues to deal with so I will keep trying until something gives. Again thanks for your hard work.

Sean Moores 01/29/10 - 09:41 pm
Jake, My next blog post will

Jake, My next blog post will cover these problems. If that doesn't fix it I'll bring in one of our web guys.
Thanks

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/29/10 - 09:48 pm
Hey Sean. The old forums had

Hey Sean. The old forums had various icons that could be used. Is there any way to offer some of those for those of us who don't want to post pics? Anything except those bobblehead avatars we have now.

Sean Moores 01/29/10 - 10:16 pm
Riverman, THAT is a good

Riverman, THAT is a good idea. I'll look into it and include it in my next blog Monday (or Tuesday.) It helps solve a problem I was facing. Thanks

JAndy
JAndy 01/30/10 - 08:37 am
Has the "Forum" Section

Has the "Forum" Section moved?

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/30/10 - 10:09 am
Ok Sean,, we will be

Ok Sean,, we will be honest.. It still is hard to go from topic to topic,,U had the right format before.. most discussed in one long list,,, all topics.. with quick change from one to the other...I feel I miss some stories now,, don't want to miss anything worth while.. thanks

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 01/30/10 - 10:14 am
Sean, I'm loving this new

Sean, I'm loving this new format and seeing the moderators presence on the various threads. No one really knew if anyone from the AC was really watching or cared when a problem was reported because the only 'feedback' was stony silence. With the presence of the moderators the posters are starting to behave like the teacher has suddenly stepped back into the school room. From riot to respectful...... Or at least a bit more respectful. I hope that the moderators have enough energy to maintain what they have started....

bettyboop
bettyboop 01/30/10 - 10:40 am
seenit I also felt I was

seenit I also felt I was missing articles...but the longer you work with the site it starts to feel "right"......So Sean I will give it a thumbs up.(except for the picture posting incident...was it copyright problems?)

Sean Moores 01/30/10 - 10:46 am
JAndy, The Forums will be

JAndy, The Forums will be back. Some parts of the old site didn't transition into the new site very well. Techies are feverishly writing computer code even as we speak.

justthefacts
19954
justthefacts 01/30/10 - 10:54 am
Must be Georgia "Techies"!

Must be Georgia "Techies"! just kidding, just kidding.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/30/10 - 10:55 am
Sean Do U work all day &

Sean Do U work all day & night??

Sean Moores 01/30/10 - 11:01 am
Seenit, The next couple of

Seenit, The next couple of weeks is probably going to be devoted entirely to fixing the broken things. Once we get visible problems out of the way we can work on fine tuning the nuts and bolts.

JohnQPublic
JohnQPublic 01/30/10 - 11:01 am
Hello, Where can I find

Hello, Where can I find Richmond County Neighbors section and the marriage licenses, divorces, sentencings etc from the courts? Thanks.

Sean Moores 01/30/10 - 11:18 am
Rolling, We're making a real

Rolling, We're making a real commitment. We'll be actively monitoring all comment threads.While some moderators won't feel comfortable posting, I'll try to follow up on most questions when I check back in.

Sean Moores 01/30/10 - 11:28 am
Bettyb, It was kind of a knee

Bettyb, It was kind of a knee jerk reaction. I didn't know they were going to put that awesome power into your hands. It was my first day moderating and that photo just appeared...big. I think you said something like "look what we can do." About ten thousand bad possibilities popped into my head. By the time I had called Ben, web guru (thanks for all your help by the way), to tell him I thought it was a bad idea everyone else was calling too. Maybe we can bring it back and leave the pic blank until one of us OKs it. What do you think?

Sean Moores 01/30/10 - 11:38 am
justthefacts, We're an Equal

justthefacts, We're an Equal Opportunity Employer.

Sean Moores 01/30/10 - 11:43 am
Seenit, I work a pretty

Seenit, I work a pretty standard shift. I got a new Droid a couple of weeks ago, so I can check in at any time. And I do.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/30/10 - 11:47 am
Sean I'm glad U feel

Sean I'm glad U feel comfortable posting with us... tell the others to jump in we won't bite them,,,we like the back & forth & so glad ya'll care about us & are trying to satisfy our needy ways.. We have been spoiled BUT other papers don't have the easy way to post like U do.. It makes a huge difference,,, sooo keep spoiling us & we will stay right here..anyway U make us feel we are part of the news everyday, thanks

Sean Moores 01/30/10 - 11:51 am
JohnQ, I think all of that is

JohnQ, I think all of that is in the Richmond County Neighbors. That link is one of the "visible problems" I was speaking of earlier. Follow this http://chronicle.augusta.com/news/richmond-neighbors/ directly to the section. If you can't find everything there send me an email.

Sean Moores 01/30/10 - 12:29 pm
Seenit, You're not all fuzzy

Seenit, You're not all fuzzy little bunnies, but everyone has been very welcoming to me. I like the tone we're starting to establish here. Newspapers have been fairly isolated from their readers for most of their existence. Now we can really get to know our audience. That's why improving the tone of our comments is so important. The more the merrier. Everyone should feel comfortable giving their opinion.

fishman960
fishman960 01/30/10 - 01:05 pm
Sean, thanks for explaining

Sean, thanks for explaining the bettyb pic. Makes sense. A little honesty goes a long way. Again thank you.