Will Tereshinski shine?

Sure, Joe Tereshinski wasn't the sexiest choice in the four-way battle to be Georgia's starting quarterback. But he was the safest choice. When the success or failure of a football season might hinge on a second-week showdown in South Carolina where the Bulldogs traditionally struggle, playing it safe is a good idea.

Head coach Mark Richt knows better than anybody else what his team needs to do to win now, and throwing a true freshman like Matthew Stafford into the fire isn't the smart play. If he was clearly that much better than Tereshinski, he would be the starter in the opener. Clearly, he was not ... for now.

Tereshinski is a loyal, third-generation Bulldog who bided his time and learned the system behind NFL-drafted quarterbacks David Greene and D.J. Shockley. Whether or not Richt owed him the opportunity is not the point. Tereshinski earned the opportunity. He's smart, steady and knows the system better than Joe Cox (his current backup), Blake Barnes or Stafford.

Considering the skill he'll have around him, that's the kind of QB the Bulldogs need to keep the mistakes to a minimun and get the ball in the hands of the running backs and tight ends who will be the key to making the offense click in 2006.

Whether or not Tereshinski will succeed in the starting role remains to be seen. But whether or not he was the right choice is certain. The job was always his to lose and he hasn't lost it.

• Syndicate content
08/23/06 - 03:26 am
I think that Joe T was the

I think that Joe T was the wise choice in the 2006 season. Going out on a limb with Matt Stafford or Joe Cox would be absurd. THe Bulldogs have a talented class this year ranked number 15 in the AP poll and have a good shot at making it back to the dome. Joe T has been around the program for 5 years and understands the system. Yes, he may not be the most talented of the four, but he sure has the most leadership and experience. Last year in the Florida game, he did not play that terrible and he did great in garage time against Boise State and Kentucky so I think the choice is a wise one for Richt and the BUlldogs.

08/23/06 - 08:05 am
Fist let me start by saying

Fist let me start by saying the chronicle has by far the WORST coverage of college football than any 50 cent news paper I've ever read.
College football kicks off in less than 2 weeks and there are 2 short articles on college football on the third page(?). This drives me nuts considering there are three nationally known programs in the state (UGA, Ga. Tech and Ga. Southern)of Georgia. However there is rarely a mention of these schools.
Anyway to the topic at hand.
Joe T3 will be fine as the QB. He's not going to burn up the record books but he's not going to lose games either. Keep in mind this kid had an academic scholorship to Harvard and turned it down to come to UGA to play football. So what he lacking in ability he makes up for in knowledge of the system and game.
Besides do you want a true freshman under center the second game at Williams Brice Stadium in Columbia. That's tough for any QB (see Quincey Carter 1999)to handle much less an 18 or 19 year old kid.
But the future looks good for DAWGS and I am excited about it.

08/24/06 - 01:58 am
How bout' them dawgs!! I'm

How bout' them dawgs!! I'm glad to see little opposition to Coach Richt's decision to name Joe T as the starter. Every true Bulldog fan knows Richt is the man and whatever decision he makes is the decision that's going to benefit our beloved Bulldog's the most. To show up and play the way he did during the Florida game last year, despite the loss, gives me alot of faith in the young man. Backed up by one of the best backfields in college football this year who knows what could happen. What? Did I hear you say another SEC champinship? Yeah c'mon!! GO DAAWWWGGGS!!!!!!

08/24/06 - 08:35 am
I think you are setting your

I think you are setting your sites a little too far at this point. I doubt that the Dawgs will win or make it to the SEC championship this year. The talent is lacking compared to Florida (and trust me- it kills me to say that). Also, Auburn and LSU have great teams this year. My prediction - Florida will win the east, LSU will win the west and LSU will take it all.

Now as far as the quarterback situation- Richt tends to make safe and wise decisions. Hopefully this decision will pay off in the end and UGA will have a successful season!

Go Dawgs.

CoastalDawg
CoastalDawg 08/24/06 - 10:24 am
Most parents teach their

Most parents teach their children that hard work and patience will take you to your goals; Joe Tereshinski has done the necessary things to get him there - he's played whenever and wherever he was asked to play and has done it in a gentlemanly way, doing his job well. Should he stumble, there are others right behind waiting to come onto the "stage". Coach Richt is a man of God, of character, and his players are led in that direction also. Besides Joe Cox, Blake Barnes sits and waits for his turn, another young man who could have left but knows that he is were God wants him. Add to the mix Matt Stafford, another one who hasn't cut and run to another school, and Georgia is once again in a good position to do whatever is necessary to win. Loyalty is an important ingredient, too, and the quarterbacks seem to have that.

John Boyette
John Boyette 08/24/06 - 08:10 pm
Thanks for your comments.

Thanks for your comments. The Augusta Chronicle's annual college preview section will be included in the Sunday, Aug. 27 edition of the paper. It will feature team previews and player features for Georgia, Georgia Tech, Clemson and South Carolina, as well as a Southern Conference preview and schedules for all Division I teams.

imdstuf
imdstuf 08/25/06 - 09:13 am
I am no Bulldogs fan, but I

I am no Bulldogs fan, but I believe Richt has proven in his short tenure he knows what he is doing. He has done more for that program than Jim Donnan or Ray Goff ever did. Just because he starts Joe T does not mean he has to stay with him. The first game is an easy one so it will allow Joe to ease into the season. When you can allow a freshman QB time to come in gradually to gain experience it is usually better than throwing them out there right away without any real game time under their belt. That is my opinion anyways.

biggdawgmoneyclip
biggdawgmoneyclip 08/27/06 - 08:18 pm
FWIW, Quincy Carter

FWIW, Quincy Carter performed well in Columbia during his freshman season in 1998; in 1999 he also had a decent game in Athens; 2000 was the year in which he threw five interceptions.

yathink
yathink 08/28/06 - 07:54 am
"I am a true Georgia

"I am a true Georgia BullDawgs fan and I am from Ohio. Love my Dawgs. I think Coach Richt did the right thing. Western Kentucky should be real easy. He then can see if Joe T. can perform. If not change. I want to see a win over USC, Florida and Tennessee. Just to beat them. I have alot of Gamecock fans at work, and they have to win at USC. "GO DAWGS"