Terms of Endearment

All of my dogs have full names. There is Harrie Nathaniel, Grady Oliver, and Mayrose Claire.  If that makes me crazy, sign me up!  To prove to you that I’m fully nuts about my dogs, they all also have handmade outfits from my dear doggie couture designer friend, Jalina Colon (www.etsy.com/shop/JalinaColon). So, there you have it!  I’m crazy – about my dogs.

Each of the pups have pet names (pun intended).  Thankfully, they each come to me when I call, no matter what I call them.  These terms of endearment have grown and taken shape over the years.  Harrie frequently gets called Hare Bear, Harrie Bear, Handsome Harrie, Hare and Harrie Monkey.

Grady is often called Grady Tatey, Tatey, Grader Tater, Grades and Tates.  For some reason, when I call him Grady Wady, he cringes.  I’m not sure why.

Mayrose has the most fun name of all.  She is often called May, May May, May Rosie Posie, Maylee May, and May Monkey.

Each of the three often get called Monkey, Pumpkin’ or Punkin’ Head.  Is it too much? Am I over the top? Surely not.

Recently, I met a man whose dog was named Joe.  Joe was a sweet chocolate lab.  Joe loved his man, and it seemed that the man loved Joe.  The man called Joe to his side and began ruffling his fur, all the while calling him his “little crapper”.  What?

I also think that a pet lends himself or herself  to certain pet names by their personalities and actions.   Maybe your pets’ pet name is already endearing.  I’ve met a Cookie and a Wiggles.  I’ve even met a Sunshine and a Speedy. If that’s the case, do they also have other nicknames – I mean pet names?

Tell me about your pets’ pet name.  I’m sure that you all have some wonderful terms of endearment for your little Lovey Dovey’s. Oops, there I go again. Now I’m giving YOUR pet a pet name!  Ok, maybe I am over the top.  But I love it!!

Until next week, please visit/shop at  www.etsy.com/shop/JalinaColon for the finest in Doggie Couture.  And, take a trip over to beautiful Aiken and visit The Bone-i-Fide Bakery.  Bone-i-Fide is currently running a contest on Facebook that will have a grand prize of 6 months’ worth of Nature’s Variety dog food!!  So, go online and register.

Until next week, wag on, Augusta!!

• Syndicate content
Jake
Jake 08/15/12 - 01:05 pm
Foo Foo is the name of our

Foo Foo is the name of our pet. It is an English Spot rabbit. It has the intelligence of a stick so it is slightly smarter than a rock. I call him "The Grand Foof" and spoil him with organic produce and fruits. His favorite is dandelion greens and dried apricots. I never wanted a pet but my daughter talked me into this one. Never will happen again, though.

David Parker
David Parker 08/15/12 - 03:01 pm
We have LarLar and Howard J.

We have LarLar and Howard J. Puppy (jack russells) and Sir poopsalot, the fish.

Jake
Jake 08/15/12 - 04:47 pm
I guess I got a thumbs down

I guess I got a thumbs down for saying I never want another pet.
Let me 'splain sumpin'. I like some types of pets but I believe that pets belong outside, not in the house. I don't like seeing animal hair in my food and I don't want to subject any visitors in my house with unwelcomed sniffing and such. Same thing goes for being in public. I don't want your pet coming up and sniffing me or putting his nose where it shouldn't be. If I want to pet your animal then I would ask permission to do so.
Also, pets can be destructive when in an indoor environment. Foo Foo has chewed base boards and door weather stripping so that is why he stays on the back porch. I am going to be out a few hundred bucks to repair his damage. And there is nothing like cleaning up huge turds in your yard or sidewalk that irresponsible pet owners won't clean up themselves. These are major minus' for having a pet as far as I am concerned. Of course they are amusing at times and totally dependent on you for their care and well-being which I don't mind at all.

pommom38
pommom38 08/15/12 - 07:39 pm
Lord.. Pepper is Ms. Pepper,

Lord..
Pepper is Ms. Pepper, Princess Peppy, Peppy la pew, Lil Panther.
Rose is Rosey Posey, Wide Load, (yes we call her that due to her tiny head and wide behind)..
Coco is Lil Piglet due to grunts like one.
Maggie is Magpie.
Ah Jake, who cares if they thumbs down on your views! Some don't like pets for various reasons, doesn't mean one should crucify them for it!!

RagaMuffin Meowmy
RagaMuffin Meowmy 08/15/12 - 07:42 pm
And cat people are crazy? I

And cat people are crazy? I feel better. I have a herd of cats, only some with nicknames. Oona, Owen, Ozzzy, ObieTrice with nickname of Obs, Oops! SheDaisey who is Oops! ze Poops. Then there's "Only One More Smudgsicle" who is Smudgie for short and "Oh, Mickey, You're So Fine," also known as Mickey or Mick, for short. I have to stick with O kitties. Cats do not come when they are called, so I have a way to pronounce their names and then they will respond. They all respond to "who wants a treat?" They are spoiled indoor cats. The last two with the long names are rescue kitties that I show in TICA. Smudgie's from a local rescue and he's done very well on the show circuit, he's my rockstar. Oh, and all but one of the seven mentioned above are tuxedos. Yep, I'm a crazy cat lady and I adore my pets.

Jake
Jake 08/15/12 - 11:19 pm
Pom, I still love you and

Pom, I still love you and your views! Hope to see you in early October.