Reporter Lisa Kaylor blogs about faith and values

Islamic Society releases statement on Sept. 11

Earlier this evening, the Islamic Society of Augusta released a statement in anticipation of the 10th anniversary of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

Here's the full text from Ahmad N. Gill, president of the Islamic Society of Augusta:

Nearly 10 years ago, a group of terrorists targeted our country. That tragic day, we lost thousands of people. They were Christians, Jews, Muslims and adherents of other religions.

We also ask our local and federal authorities to take all appropriate measures to prevent any and all acts of terrorism. We ask our members to be vigilant and report any suspicious activity to the appropriate authorities. We join with other Americans in striving to keep our country safe.

On behalf of the Islamic Society of Augusta Executive Committee and its members, we send our best thoughts, hopes and prayers to all families who lost their loved ones, either directly on that fateful day from the heinous acts of these crazed and violent few or those who sustained injuries searching through the rubble from which they subsequently died.

We stand solidly with all fellow Americans in remembering this tragic event and condemning senseless acts of violence against innocents, whether these acts of terrorism are on U.S. soil or elsewhere.

Look for a story in this weekend's Augusta Chronicle on the relationship between the Islamic Society and the community-at-large 10 years after the Sept. 11 attacks.

• Syndicate content
Cadence
Cadence 09/09/11 - 11:28 pm
That was very nice.

That was very nice.

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 09/10/11 - 12:40 am
Exceptional sentiment

Exceptional sentiment

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 09/10/11 - 01:26 am
Yes Mr. Gill maybe some will

Yes Mr. Gill maybe some will now see that you love this country as much as they do. I wouldn't get my hopes up too high though my friend. There are a lot of narrow minds in this area who love to place guilt by association meaning just because you're Muslim you must be "One of Them". I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you don't believe in their God then you are wrong. I'm treated the same way.

PR
PR 09/10/11 - 01:57 am
Very appropriate. Maybe if

Very appropriate. Maybe if other islamic groups had said this right after 9/11 there wouldn't be so much suspicion of muslims in the U.S.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 09/10/11 - 02:02 am
Many of our fellow American

Many of our fellow American citizens have taken their Common Law-protected rights to be ignorant and narrow-minded way too far.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 09/10/11 - 02:12 am
American citizens who

American citizens who practice the Muslim faith should be subject to no more scrutiny as terrorists today than were Americans of Irish extraction and of the Roman Catholic religion during The Troubles in Northern Ireland during the 80s and 90s. How stupid does one have to be to infer that the actions of 19 demented souls in 2001 dictate today the national loyalty and future behaviors of our fellow citizens who are their co-religionists?

Fundamental_Arminian
Fundamental_Arminian 09/10/11 - 04:03 am
It's good to see the local

It's good to see the local Islamic Society refer to the events of 9-11 as heinous acts committed by a few crazed and violent men. The Islamic Society has condemned the acts and the perpetrators of those acts. I can't remember seeing such strong language from another group of Muslims.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 09/10/11 - 04:30 am
I wonder why there is no

I wonder why there is no mention of who the terrorist were and why they attacked "us?"

Why can't Muslim groups bring themselves to mention the fact it was radical Islamist who attacked us? Why didn't they use this opportunity to speack out against the radicals who murdered all of these folks in Islam's name?

Instead we get a crafted cardboard cut out letter that has no real meaning because it doesn't address the core reason a group such as this NEEDS to release a statement on 9-11.

Want to impress folks, call out the fact this was done by folks who although they claim to be Muslims are not.

Talk about how you all disagree with what happened, what they stood for and WHY it happened in your name.

Don't tell me about asking your folks to be spies and report "any suspicious activity to the appropriate authorities" (eyes rolling) Tell me how the nutjob Islamist who attacked us in the name of Islam are wrong, and that your faith doesn't support it nor are you all willing to tip-toe around the facts of the situation.

Call the radical Islamist out for the murders and butchers that they are and call for all Muslims to stand together against violence in the name Isalm...but instead, you can't even bring yourself to mention the basic facts surrounding the attacks.

Makes me wonder why you even wrote this letter in the first place.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 09/10/11 - 04:49 am
And before everyone jumps all

And before everyone jumps all over me for being "narrow minded", read this as if you knew nothing about 9-11 and see if it makes sense.

There is no stand taken against the motivations behind the attacks, just the attacks themselves.

I mean change it from the 9-11 attacks to talking about abortion clinics being bombed or doctors being murdered and then the Christian church not being willing to talk about the MOTIVATION for the attacks.

I just want to see Muslims say that radical Islam is wrong when it uses violence to hurt others in the name of the their faith, not that they are good Americans too and report "any suspicious activity to the appropriate authorities."

The crazy God squad types on all sides should be called out no matter what, and these guys mised a good opportunity to do so.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 09/10/11 - 07:04 am
Guys, Please don't blow a

Guys, Please don't blow a gasket, RM1 is kidding.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/10/11 - 08:48 am
Are you sure Brad??.....LOL

Are you sure Brad??.....LOL

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/10/11 - 08:54 am
Tell me why a young muslim

Tell me why a young muslim boy told his teacher (while looking out at the Trade Towers)that soon those buildings won't be there?

Sorry......but letters won't make me feel warm & fuzzy...
Didn't the terror pilots tell the passengers to be still that they were going back to the airport .....we can't be still......just heard that a dirty bomb in TimesSquare is what they are planning to set off...
Words are words.......actions have proven a different story.
Sorry...letter writer.....I still feel uneasy.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 09/10/11 - 09:32 am
Did you notice the escape

Did you notice the escape clause in the letter: "violence against the innocents". This begs the question, "Who is innocent?" How does the Quran define "innocents"?

While Muslims are taught to respect "people of the book" (i.e. Christians and Jews), it also condemns infidels (i.e., non-Muslims) quite strongly and even justifies punitive measures against infidels.

So, while no one in their right mind would ever condone violence against "innocents", could it be that many Muslims do not consider most Americans as "innocent"? I well remember the celebrating in the street by rank and file middle eastern Muslims when the towers fell. I sure didn't see much grief for the "innocents" when that happened.

Jane18
Jane18 09/10/11 - 10:41 am
I'm sorry Mr.Gill, while your

I'm sorry Mr.Gill, while your letter is nice, it is still just words. You can talk the talk, now let us see and hear you back it up!

Cassandra Harris
Cassandra Harris 09/10/11 - 10:47 am
Well written letter.

Well written letter. Interesting that this letter is placed in the "Amen Corner" Christian blog and not in the main body of the paper. For those that question why American Muslims don't speak out against these terrorist attacks, they do. The media just buries the statements as seen here or completely ignores the statements. Sensationalism, fear and hatred sells and it's all about the buck.

American Muslims don't refer to the terrorists as Muslims for the same reason certain people posting on this site did not consider Anders Breivik a Christian when the press pointed out his fundamentalist Christian beliefs. The Muslims who are terrorists are of the same frame of mind as the Christian terrorists that American Christians claim are not Christians.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 09/10/11 - 11:27 am
Cassandra, there's one big

Cassandra, there's one big difference that you forget. Yes, there are wackos in every "religion" -- people out of the mainstream that claim to be a follower of God, but act like the devil.

But, here's the difference: consider the sources and compare them. As stated above, the Quran makes it clear that it is OK to punish and harm non-Muslims. Whether most Muslims practice this teaching or not is irrelevant. It's there in their sacred teachings.

In stark contrast, Jesus Christ teaches to love one's enemy and do good to those who harm you. No punitive measures in Christianity. No call to Jihad. No acceptance of violence committed in the "name of God".

The foundations of Islam and Christianity are very different, as are their teachings. There are certainly "good people" in Islam and Christianity. But, when you compare the primary source documents from whence their teachings are derived, there is a BIG DIFFERENCE. Muslims can preach peace, love, and tolerance all day, but that pesky Quran keeps getting in the way and, at times, sure preaches a very different message.

Cassandra Harris
Cassandra Harris 09/10/11 - 12:03 pm
hkwk - very impressed that

hkwk - very impressed that you have been able to read the Qur'an with the same clarity as my Muslim friends who have been raised in the faith and read and speak Arabic. Amazing! One can read the Bible and make the same claims against Judaism and Christianity. I constantly hear Christian apologists explain the same types of passages to which you refer when cited from the Bible are "misconstrued", "taken out of context", "misinterpreted", and "must be read with divine sight".

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 09/10/11 - 12:10 pm
Cassandra, stop being so

Cassandra, stop being so condescending -- Oh I forgot, it is you who know more about God than the Apostle Paul.

You are a self-proclaimed expert on the Bible. I assume that means you can read it in the original Hebrew and Greek?

No? Well, I guess you depend on an English translation like the rest of us then, right? Must be OK for you then.

Well, I depend on English translations of the Quran. I have read these, and guess what, it's pretty clear that violence against infidels is not only permitted, but encouraged. I've also read that it's OK for a husband to beat his wife -- when she needs it. Guess you'd OK that as well?

What have I misconstrued? Which of the above teachings of Jesus I quoted do you disagree with?

I'll await to hear your wisdom......

Cassandra Harris
Cassandra Harris 09/10/11 - 12:20 pm
hkwk - I suggest you look to

hkwk - I suggest you look to your dictionary for the correct definition of "condescending". I point out that those not of your faith can make the same statements about your holy book, which is true. I was raised in the Christian faith and have read the entire book (in English) and have heard all the reasons why the passages that can be taken in the same light (which are many) should not be taken that way.

You have not been raised in the Muslim faith, I suspect do not personally and closely know any Muslims with whom you have ever discussed their faith, and have not been raised reading their text and yet you make claims on the content of their holy book. Which of us is condescending?

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 09/10/11 - 12:57 pm
Paul (I mean Cassandra --

Paul (I mean Cassandra -- interesting that you do not deny that you know more about God than Paul. That alone is pretty revealing).

What statements about "my" holy book are your speaking about? Specifics please. I gave you specifics about Jesus teaching love for enemies. I also gave you some specifics about Muhammad teaching that infidels can indeed be harmed (as well as wives). Do you deny this? Give me a scripture reference where Jesus said it was OK to make war on non-Christians. Where do you find that?

I have a number of Muslim friends, by the way. But, I'm not sure having Muslims tell you about Islam is always the best approach. Like all people, they will tell you what they want you to hear, and avoid what paints Islam in a bad light. That's human nature. We see that with the Muslim apologists on this site (and there have been many discussions regarding these issues before -- you are not raising any new points here). They say a lot about love, peace, etc., but they strongly avoid ever mentioning the fact that the Quran also instructs followers of Allah to deal harshly with infidels. If you are selective in what you want to hear, you'll be sure to only get a positive side of things. By the way, you are a big supporter of homosexual rights. Have you ever asked an "expert" how Islam views homosexuality?

As I said, get a scholarly translation of the Quran and read it for yourself. You'll be surprised in what you see there -- and it will clearly differ, at times, with what Muslim friends want you to know.

Open you eyes to the truth once in a while. It's very revealing.

Cassandra Harris
Cassandra Harris 09/10/11 - 01:01 pm
hkwk - nice try. Your

hkwk - nice try. Your interpretation of the writings of Paul are not the only way to look at his writings and only serve to show the validity of what I stated. I will not go through the long, long, list of all the atrocities that are demanded and sanctioned by God in the OT, you may find them yourself by reading Genesis - Judges, the Kings and Chronicles and many of the other OT books. Genocide, infanticide, rape, slavery, killing of people for inane reasons (such as a woman being a rape victim and no one hearing her scream, working on the Sabbath, or disrespect to one's parents). Jesus also has a few things to say that if not raised in the faith can seem pretty violent and even states that he has come to turn people against each other. Now, having been trained by your religious upbringing how to view these passages, I'm sure you will explain them away, yet you expect differently from Muslims. I've read the Qu'ran (in English as I don't speak Arabic) with Muslim friends and have had interesting an enlightening discussions.

Bottom line, you have no expertise to explain to the world what a moderate Muslim believes, as you are not raised in their faith, just as a moderate Muslim has no expertise to explain to the world what you believe.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 09/10/11 - 01:02 pm
Here's just a couple of

Here's just a couple of examples from the Quran:

Sura 3:85 “Whoever seeks other than Islam as his religion, it will not be accepted from him, and in the hereafter he will be with the losers” “Slay the idolators [non-Muslims] wherever ye find them, and take them captive, and besiege them, and prepare for them each ambush. Fight against such of those who have been given the Scripture as believe not in Allah nor the last Day…. Go forth, light-armed and heavy-armed, and strive with your wealth and your lives in the way of Allah! (Sura 9:5,29,41).

See, you're Muslim friends will not tell you about these sacred scriptures, will they?

According to the Quran, Allah does not say to start out with war against infidels. However, if the infidels persist in their rejection of Islam, then it is more than OK to unleash punitive measures against non-believers.

I'm not making this up. Not pulled out of context. Just read it for yourself. There are many more Quranic passages that provide similar instructions to the followers of Muhammad.

Cassandra Harris
Cassandra Harris 09/10/11 - 01:05 pm
How very sad that the object

How very sad that the object of this letter is the promotion of peace and healing of Americans of different faiths and yet certain individuals seem Hell bent on promoting division and hatred, especially in light of what the founder of their faith taught himself.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 09/10/11 - 01:14 pm
As has been discussed many

As has been discussed many times on these forums, Jesus Christ fulfilled the OT laws and regulations, and summed them up thusly: Love God, and Love Others. That's Christianity in a nutshell. I'm sure you know that.

Yes, there is violence in the Old Testament. Those acts were necessary at that specific point and time to carve out a people in a very hostile and military environment -- where others were seeking to exterminate God's people. As you know, by the time of the New Testament that was no longer necessary and things were repealed. From the time of Christ on, Christianity teaches love for God and for others, and warns against violence against others for religions reasons. Can you deny that? Do you disagree with that? (compare that with the Quran)

You made a very general statement that Jesus said some things that might condone violence. Where? Can you specify please? Let's avoid generalizations and drive-by comments, and only deal with specifics, please.

Again, I really don't care what a "moderate" Muslim or Christian tells me they believe. I care what the foundational source documents MANDATE that a Muslim or Christian believes. Cut through human interpretation and spin. Get the word directly from Jesus or Allah. That's the only way to get to the truth.

I think when you do that, you'll see that Christianity teaches love and peace. Islam, while also mentioning these things, is also just as adamant that violence and war can indeed be visited upon those who reject Allah.

Examples from today's headlines: Churches in Islamic countries are being destroyed and Christian persecuted simply because of their faith. Happens nearly every week. You can read about. In contrast, Mosques are allowed to exist in this country where we honor freedom of religion. Heck, they are even building a new Islamic Center in Martinez and to my knowledge there have been no protests from any Christians about this.

So, which is more loving and tolerant: Christianity or Islam?

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 09/10/11 - 01:18 pm
Cassandra, it is not "hatred"

Cassandra, it is not "hatred" to simply state the truth. Only a fool buries his/her head in the sands of ignorance, and refuses to analyze the truth of a situation. It is a FACT that the Quran sanctions violence against non-believers. It is a FACT that Jesus taught to love non-believers.

I'm sorry if this rubs you the wrong way, but you cannot sacrifice truth on the altar of "tolerance" and turn a blind eye to reality.

Well, I guess you can. That's your choice. But, stop trying to bolster some house of cards that has no foundation in the facts.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 09/10/11 - 01:24 pm
I seem to remember the

I seem to remember the Founder of Christianity going into a controlled rage when he found people promoting a false religion and abusing the truth. He did not simply tolerate false claims and abuse of the truth.

But then again, I guess Jesus would offend you. I'm sure you would consider Him to be intolerant and hateful as well.

So ironic that you would rail against the teachings of Jesus -- who promoted love and peace; yet you openly support the teachings of Muhammed that clearly do instruct violence and intolerance in some instances.

As most liberals, you appear to be a living contradiction of what you claim to believe vs what you truly do believe.

Cassandra Harris
Cassandra Harris 09/10/11 - 01:24 pm
hkwk - told you that you'd

hkwk - told you that you'd explain the passages away. Sending out my congratulations for having the 411 absolute truth and the only interpretation of the Bible.

So sorry you can't just accept the sentiments of peace and solidarity from a group of Americans for what they are and seem to insist on further divisiveness. So very sad indeed. People of all faiths were killed in this terrorist attack, many Muslims included.

Cassandra Harris
Cassandra Harris 09/10/11 - 01:45 pm
hkwk - I will just have to

hkwk - I will just have to disagree with you and leave it at that. You may not like that others read the same thing you do and see it's meaning differently, but that's a fact. Not trying to dissuade you from your religion. Your beliefs are not the only ones out there on a planet of getting close to 7 billion people. It would be nice if on this weekend you could focus your energies towards healing instead of division. Peace.

aladienfadel
aladienfadel 09/10/11 - 07:22 pm
Responding to Brad Owens -

Responding to Brad Owens - Who and why we are attacked

The history did not start on 9/11/2001. It started in August 1990 when Saddam Hussein invaded Kuwait. This is a Muslim country that invaded another Muslim country accusing Kuwait of stealing Iraq's oil. The motive is clear. It is politics and not religion

This started the involvement of the United States in the Affairs of the Arab world which is a small segment (less tha 15%) of the Muslim world.

President G. H. Bush at that time promised that the American forces will withdraw after the mission is complete. This did not happen and there are US military bases in Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Baharin and other countries.

Those who attacked us on 9/11 were Saudi Citizens who consider that their own government committed treason by allowing US forces to remain in the region. It is politics and not religion.

They attacked the United States and not Canada. Canada is like us with Christian Majority.

Wrong diagnosis leads to wrong treatment. It is not Islam it is politics.

Vito45
Vito45 09/10/11 - 08:08 pm
Islamic terorism against the

Islamic terorism against the U.S./Western countries started long before Desert Storm.

Azziz gets doused for ALS

Georgia Regents University President Ricardo Azziz took the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge in front of several faculty and students Friday and then issued his own challenge to Augusta Mayor-elect Hardie ...